Panda BLAST!

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

MikeHawk
Coder

Panda BLAST!

Post by MikeHawk » Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 pm

It was meant to be a small tech demo for Mode Y (unchained Mode 13) which provides 4 pages of video memory to work with. I haven't seen many QB programs use it, so here's one (and it is sourced too.) The game is inferior to Monkey Blast and has a handful of tiny glitches I probably won't fix out of sheer laziness. You can get the game at https://qbmikehawk.neocities.org/games/panda/index.html.

Meanwhile, feast your eyes on these terrific screenshots.
ImageImageImage

Pete
Site Admin

Re: Panda BLAST!

Post by Pete » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for sharing this game and your website! Reminds me of the good old QBasic days. (Even if I happen to like pandas and am not so keen on shooting them.) :)

MikeHawk
Coder

Post by MikeHawk » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm

And thank you for keeping your site online! I think I've been visiting this place since I was sixteen or seventeen and it's one of the last that is still alive. Everything else is gone.

Last year I sorted a bunch of files on an old drive and found a small pile of QBasic games. I played some of them and recalled some I didn't keep. And so I decided to crawl the internet to save everything I could. Right now, I've got 1043 games with screenshots and categorized via a small javascript database; that's about 280MB of files (plus 38 games that I cannot get to work and 30MB of random code, routines, libraries and utilities.) I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this collection (or where I could find more.) Too bad I can't upload archives on Neocities...

johnrude

Post by johnrude » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks for the sharing this website

Erik
Coder

Post by Erik » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:32 am

Though I'm not a fan of blasting pandas. This is a really good QB game. The controls work exactly as you expect without having to think at all about them and the graphics are fantastic for QB.

Really well done! I enjoyed playing it and will most likely load it onto my 486 and play some more.

(The shotgun ended up killing me once I bought it. It just didn't fire fast enough even though it had the power behind it...)

MikeHawk
Coder

Post by MikeHawk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:51 am

Thanks Erik!
Erik wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:32 am
I enjoyed playing it and will most likely load it onto my 486 and play some more.
If you do, let me know how it goes: I'm aiming for low-end computers and all I have to test the code is DosBOX since I no longer have the legit hardware. I'll probably get back to it, mostly to iron out the bugs and use the PIT instead of the TIMER for time slices (I just released a "WIP demo" of a Breakout clone that uses the PIT chipset and it's overall much smoother: https://qbmikehawk.neocities.org/games/cody/ )