QB Express #26

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

User avatar
Pete
Site Admin
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:10 pm
Location: Candor, NY
Contact:

QB Express #26

Postby Pete » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm

[html]<p><strong>QB Express #26</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on February 9, 2008<br>
The <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/express/issue26/index.html">February issue</a> of QB Express is now available!<br><br>It's been over three months since the last issue, but it definitely was worth the wait. This issue features one of our largest News Brief segments ever, as well as NINE articles/tutorials, covering topics such as "The Art of Rounding"; creating your own Worms-like scrolling engine; using FMOD to play sound in your Freebasic programs; Database indexing; programming spring physics in FB; and functions with local variables.<br><br>QB Express is definitely getting back on track, and I think this issue will prove that.<br><br>You can read it all in <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/express/issue26/index.html">QB Express #26</a>!</p>[/html]

User avatar
BadMrBox
Veteran
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:19 pm

Postby BadMrBox » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:18 pm

Yay, nice read.

bungytheworm
Veteran
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:02 pm

Postby bungytheworm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:51 am

*HOORAY*
Downloading

@Lachie:
A friend of mine who agrees with my thoughts cleverly summed it by saying that the old community was about the people and not the language, and now it's about the language.

You have a wise friend with who i agree.

User avatar
Codemss
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Codemss » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:53 am

I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL

User avatar
Nodtveidt
Veteran
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:24 am
Location: Quebradillas, PR
Contact:

Postby Nodtveidt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am

Codemss wrote:I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.

Words of wisdom: don't bother asking if there's any interest, just do it. If people aren't interested, they'll tell you afterwards, not beforehand. :D

User avatar
Codemss
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Codemss » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 pm

Nodtveidt wrote:
Codemss wrote:I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.

Words of wisdom: don't bother asking if there's any interest, just do it. If people aren't interested, they'll tell you afterwards, not beforehand. :D


I think you have a point there. But, honestly I hoped that some people were interested :D.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>

Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>

Codemss, before known as RubyNL

User avatar
Mentat
Veteran
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: NC, US

Postby Mentat » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:10 pm

I've almost finished a new tutorial for #27. Should I send it in a zip file with the source code or should I throw in the source code into the document?

[edit] Finished. :D
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .

User avatar
Pete
Site Admin
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:10 pm
Location: Candor, NY
Contact:

Postby Pete » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:06 am

Mentat wrote:I've almost finished a new tutorial for #27. Should I send it in a zip file with the source code or should I throw in the source code into the document?

[edit] Finished. :D


It's up to you... usually if it's just a short bit of source code (half a page or so), I would say put it right in the document... If it's a huge section of code, you should include it as a separate .bas file. Nobody is going to want to read 3+ pages of uncommented source code.

DaveUnit
Veteran
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:07 am
Contact:

Postby DaveUnit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:19 pm

nice issue, Pete. It's been awhile. Had a few things in it that I had missed through my own searchings.

Nemesis
Coder
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Postby Nemesis » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Codemss wrote:I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.


I'm intrested. And an example engine would be nice next time.
Also was kinda puzzled why you need to do all those bit blits?
Maybe for speed? There's better and faster ways to accomplish screen 13 blitting.

relsoft
Coder
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Postby relsoft » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:20 am

Codemss wrote:
Nodtveidt wrote:
Codemss wrote:I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.

Words of wisdom: don't bother asking if there's any interest, just do it. If people aren't interested, they'll tell you afterwards, not beforehand. :D


I think you have a point there. But, honestly I hoped that some people were interested :D.


I am interested. :*) In fact I have been able to compile your code snippets off your tute (from your site) with FB with no changes using -lang QB.
Hello. :*)

User avatar
Codemss
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Codemss » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm

The bit stuff was needed to store a large map in an array of 32000 integers. It is a map that uses only one bit instead of eight(so you need to convert them). Like that you're able to expand the limit of the map by 8 times. Then you apply a texture on that. I'm still finding a good manner to draw the edges). They look pretty bad now.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>

Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>

Codemss, before known as RubyNL

User avatar
Codemss
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Codemss » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am

Here's an example program, if you want to run in interpreter, make offset, p and mul320() long integers!

Loading may take some time...


EDIT: There's a very weird error in the forum, I can't post the code here correctly. I uploaded it to here: http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl/scroll.bas.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>

Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>

Codemss, before known as RubyNL


Return to “Pete's QB Site News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron