QB45 sprite/palette management

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

mathias

QB45 sprite/palette management

Post by mathias »

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, so a line about me: I wrote a short article for the last QB Express mag, started working as a PHP web developer after that until I recently got diagnosed with cancer. Now, with free time and nostalgia I try to make a little game with QB45.

I checked most tutorials about palette and sprites. They all start either by drawing the sprites with QB commands(circle, line, ..) or with some pre-defined DATA statements.
What I'd like to do is to use external paint or pixel art software to draw the sprites and then import them as 1-byte Bitmaps. I thought this is easy, but I experience some stumble blocks: I've drawn three 20px* 20px sprites as a test, but I already don't know how to proceed. Obviously, but I realized this only afterwards, I should have started with palette management before drawing sprites, because if the total amount of colors used in my sprites exceeds 256, I can't show them all together on SCREEN 13. But even managing to use less than 256 colors I do not know how to proceed. It seems to me one would need some special software or libraries to manage all this. Or how does one do this sort of stuff?

Any ideas?
mathias

Re: QB45 sprite/palette management

Post by mathias »

Ok, I just discovered the directQB library which may help in that. Hope I can get it to work.