QB Express Article Requests

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

johnnie2

re:all

Post by johnnie2 »

Thank you all for your response. This thread should get back on track; feel free to PM me with any additional suggestions.

thread rerailed.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Can you please update

Santiago Zapata's games ( http://peltkore.net/~szdev/qb/eng )

to

Santiago Zapata's Archer Fire games ( http://www.santiagoz.com/archerFire/)

thabnks
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I would be interested in a tutorial that shows how to do read directory contents, CD, MD, RD, all that kind of stuff that you usually need to do by hand.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I have few requests.

A tutorial about using PEEK/POKE statements with some examples where it can be used. Dummy level.

A tutorial which would learn you how to rotate(in all directions, like a plane in 3D space) and enlarge/shrink a sprite or some image in GFXLib. Dummy level.

A tutoria about a Worms-like engine. You know, how to create an engine which features destructible and colliding ground.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
nkk_kan
Veteran

Graphics.....

Post by nkk_kan »

Can Any one put a tutorial for all possible methods to put a graphics in a program.....

i know it is all over the net but in one tutorial??
and also cover the bload and bsave??

nkk
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

What do you mean by all possible ways?

If you are interested in using GFXlib(PUT, BSAVE, BLOAD) try my "How To Program A Game With FreeBASIC" tutorials.

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

They were published in QB Express #19, #20 but these are the latest(corrected) versions. First tutorial is all about loading graphics from BMP files into arrays and then pasting it using the PUT statement.

I think I didn't cover translucency but it's easy once you learn how to use PUT. For translucency you need to be in 16 bit or higher graphics mode.

Check my customfont printing routine(demo 3):

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
nkk_kan
Veteran

Post by nkk_kan »

Well, I wanted it in Qbasic...
and also a tutorial about XMS and EMS (What are they useful for?)
Last edited by nkk_kan on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pritchard
Coder

Post by Pritchard »

I request an Article on Programming on a Collaborative Project article! An article that explains how to collaborate on a project together with more than one person. This is a rather difficult setup for some people I know and often times projects break apart fast because the work isn't divided very well and those who should be giving detailed information aren't.

^.^
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

That sounds like the perfect article for Cha0s and Josiah Tobin to write....just look at Lynn's Legacy. They're a great team.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

What shapes has the collision detection article to cover? Only balls(spheres), or too boxes, or any shape? For balls it is very easy and for non-rotating boxes too. For any shape it is easy too, but very slow.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Would you be interested in writing it? A short tutorial on collision detection for round and square shapes would be really cool.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I'll have a QB-related news article to submit in a few months.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Pete wrote:Would you be interested in writing it? A short tutorial on collision detection for round and square shapes would be really cool.
Yes, I am :wink: . I'll start writing, and PM it to you when it's finished

EDIT:
I started writing, and I will cover the next things:
Simple collision detection
Introduction
Motion and speed
Collision detection of squares and spheres
Squares
Point-square
Square-square
Spheres
Point-sphere
Sphere-sphere
Square-sphere
How to corporate spheres and squares into sprites
Pixel perfect collision detection
Introduction
Colour checking
Array checking

I've three pages so far(just done the point-sphere collision), but when it's getting too large I will cut some things off. :wink:
(EDIT: 8 pages already!)

BTW:
Pete, does it matter how I submit my tutorial? I mean .doc is good? I haven't bothered about the font and that types of things. What about that?
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I wrote my tutorial in MS word. So there isn't a need to worry over formatting.

Are you going to leave me anything? I'm writing a QB physics engine (is there a bigger oxymoron? :D ). I guess mine is wireframe and calc based, and not just collision detection. I also made a new projection (path traveling) algorithm. It downright sucks when it comes to accuracy, but it can do things standard algorithms can't (at least those that I know of).
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

I finshed it! I posted it to Pete yesterday.
You want it too? (if you post or pm your mail adress i'll post the .doc file) BTW is a wireframe engine an engine that shows for instance a bouncing cube? What is then the difference between that and a physics engine? Or is wireframe just one kind of physics engine?
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Ok...Wireframes and physics engines go hand in hand. Wireframes show 3D lines and points. Physics engines figure out what to do with the points and lines. Any interactive wireframe or just a moving one is a physics engine.
Now, when most people say P.E., they mean the calc/trig based ones, such as acceleration (double derivative of position with respect to time), and vectors.
Very recently, raycasting has challenged polygon/wireframes for the throne of modern engines such as Halo because of the increasing brute procesor power. I read that in some S.A. article before I got into programming.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

I would really LOVE to see an article about a good demo effect. For example, I really want to know how those insane fast rotozoomers work, and those freaking distortions(it was called zoomblur in the source). This effects are both from Optimus/Dirty Minds (Into the fight and Deedlines sax, i believe), and are really awesome.

I mean his rotozoomer is 110 fps! I optimized mines as much as i could and it's 80 fps. (I'm very happy with mines now, I only really wonder how he did that :?)

Of course, it could be any other demo effect. But not the standard ones please. I mean, a good tutorial for such an insane fast rotozoomer is missing. I could find a tutorial on zoomblur neither. A kaleidoskope effect would be very cool also. Maybe these are a bit complex, but I would anyway LOVE to see em.

BTW:
Since I'm really into demo coding, you can request me also to write some tuorial. I think I know most effects(not the very complex ones ofcourse). Just ask me.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Effects...hm. I'm not doing much on them, just math for workhorse engines. And I don't include ASM or libraries, just good old plain QB.

But effects are pretty cool, especially if they don't tie up the computer. 8)

I finished my first PE tutorial. Just vectors though.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Does anyone have requests for demo effects? I can write a tutorial on it. I know how to do the most effects, except for the very special ones. BTW I love to search out how to do effects that I don't know, so just ask me.

I only include pure qbasic, so no things are included such as libs or asm. I don't like also to write a tutorial on things that has been wrote a thousand times like plasma. But, when I know something new to add to it, I want to write an article on it. For example, some time ago I found out how you can do a really nice fire with using a distortion table.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I have few requests.
A tutorial about using PEEK/POKE statements with some examples where it can be used. Dummy level.
I wrote this tutorial, it will be featered in the next (octobre) issue :) .
Lachie Dazdarian wrote: A tutoria about a Worms-like engine. You know, how to create an engine which features destructible and colliding ground.
Great idea! I will try to write something that makes sense and is not useless about this :D . After that I will make a list of great graphical effects that can be used in games (like scrolling perlin clouds, fire water, particle effects, that kind of stuff)

EDIT: I started on the Worms engine tutorial and have 5 pages so far.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL