Meaning of Life

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Meaning of life? Easy to answer. Just read Douglas Adam's : The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Whole series! There?s your answer...and lot?s of more :lol:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

LOL :lol: ...
"But...It was so beutifully done"
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:shock: Woah! Nek, like you I see no religion as correct, or this is what I draw from your comments, they all have faults, but they all draw to one thing, a higher being.. I'm more native american in though even though I might not b in blood.. I look and see me (and every 1 else, animal, ect..)connected thru nature and ending up to a higher sorce..

Also my mom has scores of NDE book telling of life after death, and of a God looking over us, caring for us.

Okay, in words you guys can grasp,.. The earth is a level map(in it are several levels to overcome), Life is the varible objective(diff 4 diff ppl), we are the charactures, and God is the programmer... this is a big RPG putting it that way..

everybody is here for a reason, every one has an objective, and in the end, we go back home to God.. and Jesus, can't leave him out.. :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Post by Guest »

Nekrophidius wrote:Wow...we got a fanatic here folks. :D Mitth'raw'nuruodo: feel lucky SJ Zero and na_th_an don't post here very often...

Nathan1993: Christian religions are only about 2000 years old, and are largely based on Judaism, which existed prior to Christianity (actually, Protestant Christian religions, such as Methodist, Lutheran, etc, are only about 500 years old and are based on the seperation from the Catholics by Martin Luther). Prior to Judaism existed scores of smaller religions scattered around the world, many of polytheistic beliefs (more than one god) and quite a number of matriarchal religions as well (recognizing a goddess). This was eons before the patriarchal beliefs came to be. I could spend hours talking about the history of religion (I've studied world religions for over 11 years now and I keep studying because it's fascinating). But basically, what I'm trying to get across to you is this: the fairy tales you read in Genesis about the creation of the world are just that...fairy tales. The majority of the Old Testament is based on Judaism's ancient holy books which even they don't follow closely anymore. The New Testament books were written between 200CE and 400CE (CE = Common Era, or what Christians refer to as "AD"). None of the people who wrote the stories in the New Testament knew Jesus, and most of the stories are blown way out of proportion in modern times. Jesus did not walk on water like you think he did, he did not turn water to wine like you think he did, and he sure as hell wasn't without what you like to call "sin". But he WAS an important figure in the development of a new religion: Catholicism. When Constantine made Catholicism the state religion of Rome in the middle of the fourth century, it paved the way for the rise of Christianity. Now if you look at the history of mankind...how far back does it go? Several thousand years, some new evidence suggests that humans may have existed many several scores of centuries ago in certain parts of the world. But fact be fact...Rome used Jesus' death to foster a new religion...kinda like how people nowadays get rich off of the death of someone famous. Humans haven't changed since they came to be.

Orochi was right: "Nothing's changed in 1800 years. You can't be saved. Now, all returns to 'nothing'."
I am luthern :P . Now... as you say no people in the NT knew Jesus, you lie... a lot. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter... they all knew Jesus. But the day you die... I will pray for you no matter how much of a butt you are to me.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Wow guest where did you find that Post of Nathen?
Your right either he does lie or he is not educated enough.
I WANT TO MAKE A FEW THINGS CLEAR please.

I'm going to quote from it:

-"(I've studied world religions for over 11 years now and I keep studying because it's fascinating)."

I thought he was only 11 years old? (I bet 1993 on his name is his birth year)

-"The majority of the Old Testament is based on Judaism's ancient holy books which even they don't follow closely anymore"

Ummm....The Old Testament ARE the ancient holy books. There is a reason why we don't, when Jesus laid down his Laws (Note: Jesus and God are the same) in the New Testament they were bits and pieces here and there but they basicaly are sumarized in the Beuatitudes and loving your neighbor. These took the place of the ancient traditions. Ex. They used to have to sacrific a lamb every so often, but since Jesus was crucified, THE perfect Lamb, we don't have to do it anymore.

-"But basically, what I'm trying to get across to you is this: the fairy tales you read in Genesis about the creation of the world are just that...fairy tales."

Lets see here, ummm 100% wrong.
The first few books of the Bible are NOT to be taken in literal form!
They are more of a poetic since...for example:
It says that the universe was created in 6 days with the 7th for rest.
Thier is no time for God, he created time too for us, the 6 days are not a period set of 24 hours, but more of an organization of the steps that we were created to make it easier for our minds to comprehend for we cannot comprend something that was always there and will always be.

-"The New Testament books were written between 200CE and 400CE (CE = Common Era, or what Christians refer to as "AD")."

What have you been smoking? Hello? The majority of the people that wrote the New testiment lived in Jesus' time.(It's like saying Thomas Paine wrote "Common Sense" in 2004). For Example the Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were all part of the 12 Apostles.
Fun Fact: AD stands for Anno Domini which is Latin for: In the year of Our Lord

-"None of the people who wrote the stories in the New Testament knew Jesus, and most of the stories are blown way out of proportion in modern times."

What do you know were you there?
Well what ever it was it was good enough for them to write it down.
There's a Gift from God called Faith. It's something that can only be given by Him, pray for yourself for Him to give you this gift.(Its also a Virtue)

-"Rome used Jesus' death to foster a new religion"

Very unlikely, Rome hated Jesus who the Jews were worshiping instead of their gods and their emperor. In fact after Jesus' death Chatholics had to meet in secrate for they were either burned, decapitated, or crucified.
Nero (An emeror) even blamed a set of fires that he created himself on the Catholics. Or was that some other emperor. Point is whoever that was was making an excuse for public persecution of the Catholics.
So they really hated them. And note that Constantine's mother was a Catholic and he new that. Before a major battle in a war to protect Rome from invaders, he asked his mother what should he do. She answered saying to go pray to God about it. (Cons was a Pagan). So he did and God sent him a sign to make his battle standard the shape of a cross. So he did and he won the battle. He then converted and made the whole Roman Empire Catholic, which was a LONG 350 years since Jesus died and public persecutions. Thats about the time (if 2005 was when that happened) that the US was first being settled by colonists.

Game, Set, Match
So please read up on your history.

Also Jesus could only be one of three things: He was crazy, He was Lieing, or He was telling the truth.

-He can't be crazy because he basicaly out thought every well educated man that was questioning Him
-He can't be Lieing because of all the stuff He did and was good to His word.
-So He must be telling the truth.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Following the last part of your post, mitt.

I am God.

You see, I'm not crazy, as I know how to program, and work as a computer tech. (Again, following your logics, or lack thereof)
I don't even know what Lieing is, but I'm gonna guess on Lying. And everyone Lies, I'm pretty sure jesus had _MOUSEX for example. Which makes him a sinner as he was never married. So if we take white lies (read: Lies that protect self) as not lies. Then I'm not a liar.
So, I must be God.

And if I'm not, please prove me wrong. I can do anything any other God can do, and has ever done.

Your move, follower.
I have left this dump.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Z!re wrote:Following the last part of your post, mitt.

I am God.
:shock: :lol: :lol: ....You should have seen me on the floor convulsing from laughter.

Anyway as for my move.

If you answer no to ANY of these questions than go back where you came from:
1. Can you create?
2. Are you Imoratal?
3. Are you the Highest power everywhere?
4. Are you always forgiving (Tar and Feathers)?
5. Are you all knowing?

Now if you don't now the answer to ANY of these qusetions...:
1. What number am I thinking of?
2. Why are you here on Earth, a lower form of exsistance?
3. What is the real meaning of life?
4. How far can one walk into the woods?

Jesus said be aware of those that come in His name, to put it into modern terms: If any one from now on claims that their God, then they are false prophets and will try to trick you.

Now if you said that you were God-like then there would be no problem, besides no one is like God.

Now BTW, I see Jesus, God the Son, every week.

Your move. :P

Post by Guest »

Z!ire... if your god...

Who is my perfect match?
When will I die?
Why didn't you liberate QB before Victor?
And why is MOO is still in devolpment. If you were god, it would be done in t - 1 nanosecond!

Also... you COULD do this if you were human, but solve this. A wolf was chasing a rabbit into the woods. How far did it go? PM me with your answer.

Also... fix my love life... please.

Mit: That was quoted text from Nek. Yes, I am 11. No, I do not believe religion is facinating cuz I dont wanna waist my time on bs.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

NOTE: The above post was made by me.
NOTE2: Please don't let this topic break us apart... even if you MIGHT burn in the depths of hell, I still wanna be friends.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Humans haven't changed since they came to be.
Somewhere, the bible does say that things never change... my mom keeps telling me that.

:?:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Nathan1993 wrote:Mit: That was quoted text from Nek. Yes, I am 11. No, I do not believe religion is facinating cuz I dont wanna waist my time on bs.
Your choice....
Nathan1993 wrote: Somewhere, the bible does say that things never change... my mom keeps telling me that.
:?:
No it doesn't but your right, somethings never change.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I mean I don't waist my time on OTHER religions... I am christian and go to comfirmation each day on Wensday at 6:30 right after karate (I got my black belt. I just got home and am whereing it now!). This is my first year and about half way through it and there are two years. We get the summer off (Yay!). So I don's waist my time on other religions... I go to church 95% of the time and havn't missed comfirmation once!
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Nathan, which Christan religion, there are many?

Also I'm sending you a PM, its about your question about the wolves.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
Z!re wrote:Following the last part of your post, mitt.

I am God.
:shock: :lol: :lol: ....You should have seen me on the floor convulsing from laughter.

Anyway as for my move.

If you answer no to ANY of these questions than go back where you came from:
1. Can you create?
2. Are you Imoratal?
5. Are you all knowing?

Jesus said be aware of those that come in His name, to put it into modern terms: If any one from now on claims that their God, then they are false prophets and will try to trick you.

Now if you said that you were God-like then there would be no problem, besides no one is like God.

Now BTW, I see Jesus, God the Son, every week.

Your move. :P
I'm no god, but let's see here...;-)

1. I am a software developer, I can create anything
2. Although hard to comprehend in the "linear life" we live right now, our souls always were and always will be immortal.
3. Everyone has a power, greater than can be imagined, you see glimps of them in your dreams, but that's not even the tip of the iceberg.
4. I forgive you for asking the questions ;-) that's gotta be a good start. lol Seriously, In forgiveness is where lies true redemption.
5. All knowing. Today with the internet, i would say we can find out anything about everything. :-). But I know enough to know that I don't know jack about much, not as human being.

1. you're thinking (or were thinking) of the number 13
2. we are all here for one of 2 reasons, to repair ourselves (pay for the bad things we've done) or on a mission to help one or others as a guide so to speak.
3. Life's a bitch, deal. But know that when you die, you'll finally understand what life is, and any "human being" claiming he knows the meaning of life can kiss my *** lol.
4. it depends if you are walking in a straight line or not.
if it's a straight line, only as far as there is wood infront of you.
if not, then you'd have the potential to walk in the woods for the rest of your life.

How did I do? ;-)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Lets see how did you do, mmm...wrong! :wink:

You didn't even answer the woods question right (It was a joke):
You can only walk half way, because the other half your walking out. (even if its not a strait line). :D (old joke....)

By the way we (other Catholics and I) know that God is a single all powerful being but is three "persons" (confusing eh?), we call that the Holy Trinity (3==>tri get it?). The Holy Spirit is one of those 3 persons. Most people don't really think about it but the Holy Spirit is as great and powerful as God the Father (usually assoiated for creation) and God the Son (Jesus, savior) BUT HE IS! The Holy Spirit is usually assosiated with love and guidance. The love that the Son had for the Father and vise versa was so great that it came into a sperate, equal being: the Holy Spirit. It was through this being one in part of God that concieved Jesus. He also gave the Apostles, who were afraid to preach God's word because they could end up like Jesus (well not exactly but you get the idea), strength to do just that. But one of the most important things He did was to guide the hands of those who wrote the Bible. So God (Holy Spirit is one with God) wrote the Bible and the people who wrote it like Matthew or Luke were the vessles. But the Trinity is a very complex subject in understanding and I'm afraid I didn't do it justice...

Now a side from that you said that any human claiming to know the meaning of life can kiss your...ummm you get the picture. I said earlier that the meaning of life is to Know Him (who? God of course), to Love Him, and to Serve Him... which came directly form the Bible. Yes, God answered in the Bible the meaning of life, the reason He created us!
So don't blame me I just got it from Him.... :D

:shock: Ya know I also remember posting earlier in this thread that this thread was intended as a joke but then Nek HAD to comment on one thing....What was it?...oh ya to Know Her, to Love Her and to Serve Her (to hell with Him) I believe were his exact words. And BOOM this whole other part was born just like that. *sigh* And here I am tring to make the blind see....(no pun intended :D ).

I suggest you don't comment anymore, unless if you want me to rant some more ...lol :lol:...or if you want to know more of the theology of the Roman Catholic Church(which mind you was THE FIRST Christian church and it alone, well with exception with the Orthodox Churches, can still trace back its preists to Jesus at the last supper when he alone gave them the power to transubstanciate the bread into the Body and the wine into the Blood, he also gave them the power to represent God to forgive sins(which only God can do) and others as well.

:shock: opps there I go again... :D
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:1. Can you create?
2. Are you Imoratal?
5. Are you all knowing?

1) Can your "God"?
2) Is Your "God"?
3) Is your "God"?
4) The Pharao, and all firstborn sons of egypt anyone?
5) Is your "God"?

1) Does your "God" know?
2) Who says it is (lower form)? You all-loving "God"? Pretty selfish of him in that case.
3) Does your "God" know?
4) What has that got to do with anything? You can walk to the center of it, thats the deepest/farthest you can ever get.

Read my previous post again.

To prove I'm not God, you have to either, prove the existance of your God, which you can't as he never shows himself, or has done anything to prove his existance.

And speaking of that, why should I do anything to prove I'm God?

Your God hasnt done anything, and here you come, making all sortf of ridiculous claims of me having to do stuff/know stuff?

When your "God" answers your questions in person, then so shall I.
Untill then, I'm God, you're wrong.
I have left this dump.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I suggest you guys check out these articles:

"Was There No Historical Jesus?" by Earl Doherty
http://pages.ca.inter.net/~oblio/jhcjp.htm

"Were the Miracles of Jesus invented by the Disciples/Evangelists?"
http://www.christian-thinktank.com/mq4.html

"Do Any First Century Historians Mention the Jesus of Christianity?" by Kenneth Harding
http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/1stC_Hist.htm

I find it very interesting that so many people believe that there is good historical evidence of Jesus Christ, when in actuality, there is not.

A few facts about the historical evidence of Jesus:
  • *There is no physical evidence of Jesus Christ in existence. Everything that has been found is either questionable, or verified as a hoax.

*Aside from the Gospels, there is only ONE mention of Jesus Christ's existence outside of sources within the church that appeared anywhere within the hundred years after Jesus' death. I'll explain about that below. (There is not a single written document about Jesus that appeared during his alleged lifetime, between ~4AD and ~34AD).

*Not a single document from King Herod's archives, not any Roman documents mention a man named "Jesus" from Galilee, Bethlehem or Nazareth. This seems fairly odd if the Bible's stories are true that Jesus was highly revered, famous, had many followers, and performed many miracles. Many lesser miracle workers from the same time period got much more recognition in texts from historians, the Romans and kings of the era. Here's just a short list of the Jewish miracle workers who got recognition for their acts in and around Jesus's time. Since Jesus was a Jew, you'd expect he'd receive similar treatment:
    • 1. Honi ha-Me'aggel (the circle-drawer, probably late first century BC)
      2. Abbi Hilquah (grandson of Honi, probably turn of the millennium)
      3. Hanin ha-Nehba (another grandson of Honi, turn of the millennium)
      4. Hanina ben Dosa (first century CE)
      5. Eleazar the Exorcist (first century CE).
    This is not to mention the dozens of other miracle workers who were not Jewish. They all got SOME historical mention. Jesus got almost none.

*Out of over 100 contemporary historians who lived in and around Galilee during the first century AD, the only one with any mention of Jesus is Josephus. Josephus is the only known historian whose lifespan overlapped with Jesus', and he was just a child when Jesus was nearing the end of his life. Josephus's account supposedly appeared at about 94AD, though there is strong belief that this passage was added later by a Roman clergyman at about 400AD. The first and earliest edition of Josephus' history did not include the passage mentioning Jesus.

*Josephus' account of Jesus is highly questionable. Josephus was a very meticulous Jewish historian who wrote thousands and thousands of pages of history of the time period. Out of that, Jesus was given a single paragraph. You can read it here. This paragraph is placed amid paragraphs completely unrelated to Jesus, and Josephus calls Jesus "The Christ". "The Christ" is a term meaning savior, so only a Christian would have used that term to describe Jesus. Josephus did not believe Jesus to be the savior.

*Everything we know about Jesus's life comes from The Bible. The Gospels are the only sources that come from anywhere near the time of Jesus that mention Jesus in any signficant way. Keep in mind that the Gospels were the leaders of the church, who were trying to spread and promote their Christian religion. They are biased sources to begin with. They have a clear incentive to make up stories or stretch the truth about Jesus to help promote their cause. Also, the New Testament was written long after Jesus's death. The earliest gospels did not appear until the end of the first century, around the time of Josephus's supposed account of Jesus. Also, the gospels were written so long after Jesus's death, it is questionable that the apostles even could have lived at the same time as Jesus.

*Many Biblical historians agree that all of the Gospels are based on the first book of the New Testament, Mark. All of them repeat the same basic story of Jesus' life established by Mark, with differences in parables and some of the minor events of Jesus' life. Many people agree that later gospels were simply reworkings of Mark's original text.

*There are many cases where the Gospels disagree on the basic facts of Jesus' life. I'm not going to go into them (they are numerous), but you can find them all over the Internet, or by reading the Bible yourself.

*Not a single historical account of Jesus, with the exception of Josephus and the Gospels, could have possibly been written from a first-hand account. They came too long after Jesus' death for the historians to have been alive to have actually met Jesus and verified his existence. Therefore, we must assume that all future historical accounts of Jesus were based on secondary sources and folklore. This makes them very unreliable, especially since they were written often hundreds of years after Jesus's death.

To sum it all up, we do not have any reliable evidence of Jesus' existence. None of the contemporary / primary sources, written by people who could have possibly met Jesus in person, or at least lived at the same time as him, are reliable. They are either questionable accounts, or written by people from within the church with a vested interest in promoting Jesus.

Also, the lack of historical information about Jesus is particularly alarming, especially when we consider that dozens of other miracle workers from the same time period were referenced and cross-referenced in multiple texts. Jesus has absolutely no contemporary sources.

I believe that Jesus was a mythical figure, who was invented by the Gospels.

We have more evidence of the existence of Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster than a historical Jesus.

But don't take my word for it. Go read this information for yourself, including the original, historical texts. If you have an open mind and think skeptically, I'm confident you will come to the same conclusion as me, Nekrophidius, and hundreds of others.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Nice try Z!re. But God's work is present of all of us...
Everything you see, hear, even your very exsistance is a gift from God, something that He made.

Now I see that your trying to elude those questions by asking if God can do all those stuff :P (accually He has no limitations to what He can do, Ex. a person using a program that you made can only do so much, but you as the Programmer can change the code or do anything that you want with that). He's the Programmer, This dimension, this universe is His program, and we are the users. Now most people don't even meet or have conntact with a programmer, lets say your favorite game, but we know that he exsists because of the credits, and that that program is there, same is true for God. We don't see Him or have conntact with Him but we know that He is there because of this world and all of His works. Another example is how do you know that I exist? You haven't seen me or had conntact with me? You just know I exsist because of this post.

Now to my questions.
Z!re wrote: 4) The Pharao, and all firstborn sons of egypt anyone?
>>>>>>>>LOOK BELOW!!!!!!!<<<<>>>>>>><<<<<>>>>><<<>>
I surprised at this comment, because you are saying that God is not God, that you are, but in this quote your saying that God exsists and He did send the Angle if Death apon Egypt to kill all the fist born. Anyone See this as contradictory? :D
<<<<<>>>>><<<<>>>>><<<<>>><<>>>><<<<<<>.>>>>>>>
Any way to God's defense:

You oviously didn't read that part of the Bible thoughly. If you read it
he did forgive the Pharaoh because He forgives all IF YOU ASK HIM FOR IT. In fact Moses said that if didn't free his people from SLAVERY (a good thing to get rid of) God's next plague would be chosen BY THE PHARAOH.
So in response to this the Pharaoh (Ramases II) decided that every HEBREW first born would die. See how that turned around? God came to His people's defense from being slaughtered. If you had an enemy that was about to kill your children, and you had a gun to his head after you warned him several times would you pull the trigger? And your saying God's bad?

BTW that woods question, I already answered that one, AND WAS A JOKE :P ! If you were God you would have known that!

So I think that your arguements are unjustified. :P
Your move....
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Who says God is present in us all?
And how do you know I'm not God?

How do you know God has no limitations?

How do you even know God exist?
Have you meet him?, Talked to him?

Why is God a he?

How come in all wars ever fought in "recent" time, God has been involved ("God is on our side!", "Allah is on our side!" to take the most recent).

And yes Mitt, I know you exist, solely based on your ability to post on a forum. That and various conclusions have led me to know that you exist.

And I'm not trying to elude anything.

You're trying to make me do things that your God does not, why do you demand more from me, than from him?

He hasnt spoken to anyone, (except murderes, rapists, child abusers etc, who claim the angel told them to, GOGO God!)

The difference between a computer programmer and your so called God, is that if you want, you can track down the programmer, you can prove he made the game, that he exist etc.

There is abslutely no proof, or anything even hinting to the existance of your God.

Me on the other hand, I exist very much.

And I can still do all things your God has ever done, and will ever do..

You say he created the world, and expect me to beleive that without proof? Now, you see, I'm not a religious mind slave, so I can think for myself and realize how stupid it is to trust blindly in people.

And I trust even less in a book that was written ~1500 years ago, and has been rewritten as many times.

Btw, the IKEA cataloge has been printed in more copies than the bible.

Does that mean IKEA is the true God?, IKEA has more folowers... So IKEA must be god!

HALLELUJA!

*Jumps off a cliff, cause some 2000 year old piece of unreadable paper, that someone interpreted and then translated and then interpreted and then interpreted and then translated and then [..] says I'm supposed to jump off the cliff...*
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Lutheren. Missori uhh... thingy?