new stupid question

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

incredibly clueless

new stupid question

Post by incredibly clueless »

I'm having a hard time finding a lot of information on the PLAY command. Is there a way to play more than one line of notes at a time? I'd like to layer it so I can hear a few melodies at a time, but considering my obvious inabaility to do much of anything with QB right now, I don't have any idea how.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

No. Message to everyone: DO NOT PUT "Need help" or "Stupid Question" as a subject! Put "Need help with play" or "Multilayered PLAY" or something instead of "Need help.' :o
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Play cannot play on channels, so you can only play one note at a time.
I have left this dump.

Post by Guest »

thanks jerkoff...and thank you z!re.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Right.

What is wrong with people today?

Why did you call Nathan1993 "jerkoff"?

Your topic is off, you should learn to have good topics that describe what your question is about.

And no problem, I'm happy to help, unless you start insulting people.
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Hey clueless...that was pretty stupid of you. While Nathan1993 may not be the "god of QB" or anything, at least he helps people out whenever he can. And I'd say his piece of advice this time was 100% right on...when you ask for help, ask for help in a clear, concise manner. He wasn't insulting you, he was giving you a very good piece of netiquette advice that you should really follow. Besides, if you ask stupid questions, you'll get stupid answers, so if all you want is a stupid answer or someone to bitchslap you around, then by all means, ask stupid questions. But if you want serious help, then ask serious questions and make sure people know that your question's serious.

And don't even try that kind of "jerkoff" stuff with me...you'd be getting in WAY over your head. :D

Now, on to the meat of the subject: although Z!re is technically correct, you can emulate multiple notes by quickly playing two notes in rapid succession, somewhat of a toggle effect. It's certainly not anything a newcomer to programming can handle, but once you've got the basics under your belt (no pun intended) and are intimately familiar with variables and timing methods, then such a feat becomes relatively easy.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

I was having the same trouble in this and I agree with Nekrophidius on both points. Even though I'm not a newb I've hadn't have much expirence
in the play command because, when I WAS a newb I tried it and needed to play more than one note at a time but I couldn't do that then so I never really touched the play command since then except for sound effects. But now that I've seen this I want to bang my head against a hard object many times because the solution to this is so incredibly dumb that I felt stupid (or just like a newb again :wink: ). Although Nekro is 100% correct it isn't as hard as you might think, just go into the help file and look up play and look at the different comands for the string. What you do is you set the tempo you want, then the octave, then make the length of the note as small as possible, then put the note. Repeat but put the length to the size you want it to be. If you ever played the drums you will here what is a very fast flam of notes. Also an alternitive that hasn't been considered yet is MIDI files. I believe you can layer notes in a MIDI to your hearts content. Look at the tutorial section of this web site for a tutorial on MIDI (there's at least one) or search for it online.
Well there you go
-Mit
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

PLAY statment :shock: , I wish this wasn't a month old.. Yeah like Nek said 2 fast, or a group of fast notes can simulate layered sound. I don't have a sound blaster so I love messing with the PLAY statment, even made a alsome editor to practice with it BA-SIC MU-SIC II...

I don't know what the ranking is, but in a creative mood, I'm a PLAY statment wizzard, just listin to the intro song on BM2(Basic Music 2) maybe I'll write a tutorial 1 day. :wink:

:roll: Darn, now I got to go listin to the BM2 intro myself(I can't stop lisining to it, hehe!!!) Its also is a really great to jumble notes togeter under diff Ln commands to find diff effects!!

PS: Doubling normal speed notes (DD BB) and sticking single notes (E or whatever) in the mix make cool effects 2!!! Yeah I'll make a tut, this to much info for a forum!!!
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)