QB Express #25 needs submissions!

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express #25 needs submissions!

Post by Pete »

Yes, it's already time to start rounding up submissions for the next issue of QB Express!

The deadline for Issue #25 is: October 1st

...which is only about two weeks away!

So far, we are in dire straits in terms of submissions. We've received just ONE article so far, and we have a handful of news briefs that we unfortunately forgot to put in the last issue (sorry Lachie and Red Crab). That's it. 0 tutorials. 0 reviews. 0 comics. 0 letters to the editor. It's not looking good.

We need submissions! If you have time, please, please, with sugar on top, write something up...and send it to qbexpress@gmail.com
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Here's some articles I'm thinking about:

1) TI-BASIC - QBASIC comp_arison (article)

2) Jerk/Acceleration/Velocity/Position Tutorial

3) Text Saving and Loading Tutorial (How come I couldn't find the tutorial I needed)

4) Or any requests. I'm not doing a full fledged Physics one until I finish my own engine. And that'll be a while.

Which one should I do? It really doesn't matter to me.
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Raspberrypicker
Veteran

Post by Raspberrypicker »

well actually, i was looking for a physics engine, lol. But I understand that you have to make your engine first.
Fruit Pickin'
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

There was a whole series of file manipulation tutorials Mystikshadows wrote. And I also wrote a small segment on file manipulation in my second edition of How To Program A Game With FreeBASIC (issue #20).

I'm not saying don't write the tutorial. Just don't ignore the previous efforts.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I guess I'll do TI - Q $$$.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

I will post a tutorial about PEEK and POKE, and another one about sphere mapping. I think they are both very cool. The first one includes an explanation how plasma's setvideoseg works. The sphere mapping tutorial is also cool. It covers lighting and texturing. Pete, I will mail them to you.
Soon, I am also writing about collisions (and bouncing) again, but then on moving balls.

I request an article about cloth physics. I saw one on this site:
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/ ... _cloth.htm
(be sure to check the other tutorials on his site also, BTW)

But that does not work good for me. I would like to see some qbasic code examples and some explanation about the end points.

EDIT:
I just posted the tutorial about peek and poke, and the tutorial about sphere mapping. I also just finished a tutorial about floormapping. (With rotations and moving). Its a pretty good effect, and running at high framerate. I think I'm saving this tutorial for the next issue.

BTW, Lachie Dazdarian, I like your site and tutorials. Very nice, I hope on some new tutorials from you in the future :) . Your tutorials are more on game subjects, and though I have focussed more on demo coding and graphics, I like yours too.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

The QB Express #25 deadline is right around the corner...

Only THREE DAYS LEFT!

Please get your submissions in by October 1st. As always, we're hurting for submissions... we have a handful of articles and tutorials so far...and by that, I mean I can count the number on one hand. That's not going to cut it. We need more tutorials, articles, editorials, rants/raves, reviews, letters to the editor, games for the gallery -- you name it, we want it!

Send your submissions to: qbexpress@gmail.com
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

I've made a tutorial on floormapping, you want that also? I intended to post it on the next issue, but if there are too less tutorials now, I can send it right now. It is already finished since a few days.
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I decided not to do TI. But I got one on Acceleration/Velocity/Position.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

I think Pete wants you stuff by default so no need to ask.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I think Pete wants you stuff by default so no need to ask.
Heheh, exactly right. I've never once turned down an article. :)
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I sent mine in. I already have ideas for my next one.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Ok, I send it to you, Pete. I would send it anyway, but I was planning it for the next issue. Now I have to write something else. But don't worry, I have enough ideas :) . Think I'm going to write something about effects in games. Not sure, just an idea.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I think I'll write a tutorial on a walking 3d-box guy (as opposed to a stick figure :) ). But I don't know how long it'll take me. I'm writing the actual program right now (my poor task bar is full of all these things).
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I'll have one done by tomorrow, monday the latest. I've been busy most of the past month, so I'm doing it all starting today. its amaxing how much time getting into the kids to school routine takes out of one's schedule ;-).

But now I'm in the routine, so, I can write some ;-).
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

We haven't received nearly as many submissions as we were hoping for, so the deadline has been extended a few days!

You can now submit articles for QB Express #25 up until Sunday, October 7th.

What kinds of stuff do we really need, you ask? Well, as always, newsbriefs. We also don't have any game reviews or interesting editorials...our articles section is a bit lacking.

Also, we have yet to find a game to feature in the gallery, so if you've got something you'd like to show off (and have pics to prove it), send it in!

Of couse, anything else would be cool as well -- we'd love anything you want to submit! Just send your stuff in to: qbexpress@gmail.com
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

This is just a thought, but maybe there can be some place where somebody posts a request for a QBE tutorial? I'm thinking probably somebody submits a detailed request to a section on QBE. Then somebody reads it and submits a tutorial in the next edition. Or along those lines.

This could increase the amount of material in the subsequent articles. But it's just a suggestion, and I don't know if it could work well.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

I think this is a great idea. I often have no idea what to take as a topic to write a tutorial about. Also I often have questions about how things are done. So that would be a perfect solution, I think. This is also great because the requested tutorials would be updated every issue, so you can see which things are already been done. Pete, post a reply, so we know what you think about :P .
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I don't know if this would fit the news for QB Express but I'll give ya a quick tidbit anyways, since that's really all I have time for.

The old QB game "Mysterious Song", as many know, is being ported to the PC Engine, and will be released commercially in a few months. Since the game's release has been delayed, Frozen Utopia has released a free preview demo version to the public. It can be found here:

http://www.frozenutopia.com/msrdemo.rar

The following are the instructions I write when I post anything about this demo:
INSTRUCTIONS:
-Download and unrar.
-Run "unpack.bat" to decompress the audio files.
-Burn to CDROM or run the cuesheet directly in Mednafen.

It will play on real hardware, but there will be snow issues during fades...it's not a huge problem but if that kind of thing bugs you, it will bug you here. Don't play in Magic Engine, as the game uses some techniques that Magic Engine doesn't support (well, you CAN play it in Magic Engine, but some parts won't look right). I do all testing in Mednafen 0.7.2, it plays it perfectly.
Hope this reached y'all in time, and is worth noting.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Erm...games are still made for PC Engine? Weren't the last one released in like...1994? Enlighten me!

BTW, I assume you were in contact with DarkDread about this. Did you ever probe him about returning to our community as a FB coder? I wonder what he was doing for the last 5-6 years.