cannot maintain variables in the subs

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Well, I just put them there, they didn't ativate ne thing did they?

<html>
<head>
<body>
<p> Hello! </p>
</body>
</head>
</html>

Did it do ne thing? :)
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

No, It didn't do anything.
*sigh*

But they don't really do anything in your website anyway.
(Sure you can put event handlers or other default things in the body tag but thats it, they just say what's what)

Note: what you have is an error!
you don't put the body tag inside the head tag!

*sigh* there goes my game idea....(No <body> = no events (like onmousemove() = no game!)
"But...It was so beutifully done"
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

*sigh*

<b>Blah!</b>
<i><a href="http://wee.wee.wee/wee">WEE!</a>
Blarg</i>
I have left this dump.
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Wee?

What are you typing?

Oh, yeah were up to 8!

Can anyone think of something QB related?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
Note: what you have is an error!
you don't put the body tag inside the head tag!
Sorry, lol,. I was typing somthing off the top of my head.. :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

That's ok, I'm good at looking at code and seeing errors. :wink:

I notice things remmeber? :D
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

QB related... How bout my QB site? say,. Mitth, I'm having probs with my pic loading up,. might just be my comp at the moment, but they wont show,..

I've tried full URL, the file they're in,. they work fine ofline loading out a folder,. oh well, I'll prob trip over it (the problem) or my comp will show up the picks.. :)

Nevermind, I fixed the prob, just needed to test the URL on my browser, then copied and pasted it in my document... works :wink: :D
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Ok...
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

QB Related? ;-).

PRINT "Hello World!"

I think we're just posting here to see how many pages we can build this up to lol..
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

PRINT "Hello $$$, Z!re"
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

I rest my case ;-) lol
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

:shock: MShadows! I though you were $$$ in that last post, didn't read the name, but I didn't see that BIG blood drooling smiley (or whatever its doing) face, lol Z!re. So I just assumed it was him because it wasn't me (of course) or Z!re.

Sorry.

He, he what do you think were doing? Rest your case, huh? :wink:

Code: Select all

DEFINT A-Z
THREAD$ = "Cannot mantain vars in subs"
USER$ = "MysticShadows"
PRINT "Hello MysticShadows!"
Count = 151
uselesspostmax = 50
If Count >= uselesspostsmax THEN
LOCATE THREAD$, USER$ : PRINT "Just trying to see how many posts we can get to, eh?"
END
lol :lol:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Hey hey, Rattra, EVEN POSTS!!!!! You and me are tied with this POST!!! at 160!!! YA!!! :D

NOTE: This is my 160 post! I have been posting for 7 days! I don't know if thats a good thing for me.... :lol:
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:D Hay Mitth, this is my 163rd or 164th,.. But you are catching up for sure,. :wink:

:shock: Wait, I'd betta start typing!!! :lol: :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Ummm...Dude...That's because you made some posts after I made this one....lol :lol:

But still I'm coming up behind you fast.....I wonder when I'm going to overtake Pete.... :wink:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Sorry Rattra....But you peeked my interests in making an arcade space shooter....

I'm currently put aside my other program for awhile and am making an engine for it. Don't worry it will be NOTHING like yours...
I don't like taking other peoples ideas, so I will make it as different as possible...

BTW how do you transfer .BAS to .EXE?
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote: BTW how do you transfer .BAS to .EXE?
WHAT!, :shock: , You gave me a QB4.5 code and you don't know how to compile??

Okay, hit RUN on the tool bar, then scoll down to MAKE .EXE... You'll then get a menu.. Make sure that you check on (Make Stand-alone .EXE).. then hit (Make .EXE) or (Make .EXE and Exit)..

Thats it, it takes you to a screen, bunch of libriary names dash around, and bingo, you got a .EXE...

Space Shotter, my lil bro is trying to make me a script for me(he changed his idea to, was going to be a robot shotter game when I was doing RoboRaider, now its a space shotter game go figure)

I don't know if you want it, his story line calls for advance stuff, a Tile RPG world to explore, arcade style space shotting missions, ect.. Your prob betta with yours, he hasn't gave me much solid..

PS: A Star Wars PoP qUiZ: What is Mitth'raw'nuruodo's core name? you prob know that, (I had to look it up, :( ),. :wink: lol
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

I never had to give my porgrams to anyone yet that doesn't have QB4.5 or I don't want seeing my code...So .EXE never came up...

First time for everything...

Not much solid is good for you.... it allows you to expand as much as you want...after all it IS your program...

BTW RPG sounds good in conjunction with this game...more of a story line...

:shock: OMG!!! I'm INCREDIBLY STUPID!!!! I can't believe I haven't thought of this before....This will help you take care of that flickerage!!!

I had this same prob when I was debugging my code, I used PRINT statements to find what was wrong....PRINT statements are notrious for their tendency to make your programs flicker....

I suggest either only PRINT them when they change or if your doing that already try not having them at all (you can get along with out them) and see how it affects your flickerage....

Also try putting the WAIT &H3DA, 8 right before your erase statements...just a hunch...

P.S. STAR WARS answer: That's easy Rattra....His core name is Thrawn.
1. That's the commonly known name for him
2. Its in the name itself: MitTH'RAW'Nuruodo. That's where he gets it.
3. I already said his core name ealier in this thread I believe....

Where it is said in the STAR WARS universe:
The Hand of Thrawn seires by Timothy Zahn
-Book 1: Spector of the Past (Spector is a ghost, Thrawn is already dead in this series, So the Spector of the Past is: Thrawn)
-Book 2: Vision of the Future (The Chiss, the race of Thrawn, live out in the outer rim, with their empire that no one knows about, they protect the Galaxy from out side threats. Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade find this out [they also agree to marry], and at the end wonder whats out their that was the threat for the future, hense the title)

Future: Latin Root: Futurus (4pp from sum, esse, fui, futurus: to be)

Any more just ask :D .
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Yeah, I found that, I knew you knew it. lol,. but in mitTH'RAW'Nuruodo, I never saw that, lol, nor did I look...

Was he a good guy or bad guy, never could get it strait from the disciptions, looks cool ne way, lol...

PS: the game I was talking bout is my bro's, not mine... Mines a arcade shotter with cut scences, text intermissions, that turn it into a RPG style,.

My bro's is not solid, only a basic idea,.. my isn't either, but a got a solid game plan.. :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Forgive me, I though you were coding and your bro was giving you ideas...

Let me see....Was Thrawn (saying this name now because its shorter) a good guy or a bad guy....that's a real good question.

It all depends on how you view it...I thought Thrawn was a good commander and a defiance to the Empire, but a bad guy.

I say bad guy when talking about what side he was fighting on (he was on the Empire's side). I say good guy for everthing else.

I'll give you the facts though. Here's the lowdown on Thrawn....

He was the leader of his people, the Chiss (blue skined guys with black hair and red eyes). The Chiss were an advanced empire of its own, it was located on what is called the Unknown Regions (past the Outer Rim). They are very rare to be seen in the galaxy bcause they keep to them selves in the unknown regions. But Mitth'raw'nrurodo took on the name Thrawn and joined the Empire.

He rose to the rank of Grand Admiral (a defiance to the emipre 'cause of prejudicism against nonhumans/women). Grand Admiral is the highest rank in the Emipre's navy. There are only 13 of them. But the Emperor didn't want him to be seen contradicting himself and allowing Thrawn to raise to the rank of Grand Admiral. But Thrawn was to good to not promote, so he promoted him in secrete and made him patrol the Outer Rim and the Unknown Regions (where his homeworld is).

Thrawn ended up building up his empire, patroling, and protecting the galaxy from the unknown threat. He made a mistake one day and destroyed a Jedi outbound explorer-ship-thing Killing many Jedi. He was then recalled to the core I believe (I could have my facts mixed up here, been a long time), when the Emperor died inthe battle of Endor. So he went back to his homeworld.

About five years later he emerges from the outer rim, becoming a mysterious threat against the New Republic, who they thought they killed all the Grand Admirals (they thought there were 12, Thrawn was promoted in secrete remember?). So eventually Thrawn has an all out war against them, finding the Kantana fleet (a black fleet that was lost, about 200 dreadnaughts, which were replaced by the Star Destroyers as the standard ship) and attacking key points in the NR. He eventually has them at his mercy only to be foiled by Ackbar. He then outguesses them again and trapps them in their retaliation. But during that battle he dies from his body guard which I think I alreay explained.

He outguessed his opponents from studing their art. Which I think was good. He was very cleaver and stragetic too. If he ended up fighting for the NR he would have been all good. But there you go.

Decide what you wish. :wink: