qbasic rpg

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

matt

qbasic rpg

Post by matt »

im working on a qbasic rpg. i mean, a real qbasic rpg. if anyone thinks there are any good games at all out there written in qb youre full of it. so basically im just posting this to see if anyone would like to be involved, as it might just be too much work for me to do programming, graphics, music, sound, and story all by myself. heres the ideas i have so far, and some things ive already started:
the programming part is pretty easy. im using some techniques i havent used before in qb, like when you press up + left the main character runs diagonal. other than that, pretty standard stuff.
the graphics are the big thing, and really the main reason im doing this in the first place. im tired of people saying how lame my darling qbasic is.
this game is going to look very similar to final fantasy 7 in terms of graphics. the character wont be polygonal obviously, so im doing quite a few animations, all using the DRAW statement (everybody else uses get and put BS, why not just use draw? its easy) The prerendered backgrounds are amazing, and very simple. im using my BMP viewer to display backgrounds im making using Bryce 3D and other 3D landscape tools.
Thats all ive really done so far, im thinking of using the qbasic midi player (made by jesse dorland i think?) for the music, because i dont think there really is a way to play wav's in the background, unless i crafted some sort of external program in VB, but that would kind of take the point out of this project.
Making the midi files isnt really a problem since i write all the music in my band anyway, and its pretty easy to create midi files, but if there is a better way to play them than a midi player that uses external files, that would be great.
I also need to come up with a story, all i have so far is ideas.

SO, thats it basically, ill probably find somewhere to post screenshots and code when i get more done, and if anyone would like to get in on this project in any way, be sure to email me at wattford_reynold_watts@yahoo.com
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

Hehe, I think you will need to post the screenshots and code first, before anyone will seriously consider helping :D
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

if anyone thinks there are any good games at all out there written in qb youre full of it.
Most of DarkDread's RPG's post-SoC 1 have provided me with many hours of enjoyment. According to most people, the Wetspot games and the Cyber Chick Demo are pretty good as well.

Most of these games were created with a small team of people. Have YOU created anything worthy of your title of "great game"? Probably not.
this game is going to look very similar to final fantasy 7 in terms of graphics. the character wont be polygonal obviously
You totally contradicted yourself there, chief.
all using the DRAW statement (everybody else uses get and put BS, why not just use draw? its easy)
Do I smell messy code? And a slow executable? And if it's so damn easy, how come I don't see any screenshots?

Anyway, all of this stuff can be done much more easily with FreeBasic. FreeBasic demolishes all of the compatibility issues with Windows 2000/XP in terms of DOS sound, EMS/XMS, and so on.

And nobody wants to join a project that, as far as we know, doesn't exist at all. And nobody wants to join a project that is headed by someone who has no credentials in terms of previous work, and absolutely nothing to show for himself.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Qbasic is one of those things that is just powerful enough to make a good game. But FreeBASIC has more than enough power to make a good 2D game.
kalc
Coder

Post by kalc »

Old post? Well we are yet to see any results from matt. Here's some pessimism for matt (if your still around) to help you: You'll never finish it! And the same goes for all the other over-ambitious newbies out there; start small and slower get bigger in programming.
I need a pen
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

Dude, that guy was obviously taking the piss (most likely outta me)...

No newbie has ever been that steriotypical.

matt
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

I'm sure I could think of some worse cases. :D
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Zam, Log in works not!

Post by Zam, Log in works not! »

Well Mr.Watts, do something first. Im sure you could get lots of help if you had some code to prove you were workng on it! I know Im probably the 5000th person to say this to you!