Join the Linux Revolution!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Join the Linux Revolution!

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

You can find mostly any version of Linux for free(thats right) but only with the cost of a CD-R! Just go here!

ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/

And, yes, I'm trying to convert you... :wink:

And, if you don't want to spend the money on a 50cent CD-R, go here for a free version of UBUNTU, another type of Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

For any one who want to taste linux... join Qbinux...!!
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

http://www.linuxiso.org/ also has a lot of distro's, I got my Red Hat Linux and Suse Linux from there.
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I would, but my laptop broke and even that computer doesn't have enough memory. Plus, who needs that when I have red hat linux professional workstation?
Veteran

You have already joined :P Welcome brother!

Anyway, your laptop might like the sound of this...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/reviews/s ... roduct=222
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

ewwwwww, Linux! Windows!!!!!!!! It's way easier to work with than any other operating system!
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

<-- Ubuntu + Gnome & FluxBox.
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

Zamaster: Or both :) I have Windows XP and SUSE Linux on the same computer.
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

The Walrus wrote:Zamaster: Or both :) I have Windows XP and SUSE Linux on the same computer.
Not bad way :wink: I had linux and w98 (yes, you readed it right) on my pc for a long time. w98 gave me all i needed from winshit side, i had no point to install xp here and waste hdd space for nothing.

I removed w98 few weeks ago, but got to commit. Time to time i kind a miss it
8) :oops: :lol:
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Wait: theres another issue too. I have no linux drivers for my laptop's WIFI card :-p
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Does small linux have a C++ compiler on board? Where can I find more stuff about it? It sounds cool!
Seb McClout

Post by Seb McClout »

I don't know if it does, but Linux doesn't have a real C++ compiler but it's call GCC, under GNU license. Use ur bigfriend (Google) to look for the source.

About the Wifi-part, contact the company who build it, or you computersupplier, and ask them if they know about Linux-drivers.

Good luck!

grtz
Seb
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Seb McClout wrote:I don't know if it does, but Linux doesn't have a real C++ compiler but it's call GCC, under GNU license. Use ur bigfriend (Google) to look for the source.
I'm not sure what this "small linux" you speak of is... but if it is Damn Small Linux, then no, it does not have a C++ compiler on the CD, but yes, you can easily download it in about 3 clicks via the MyDSL system.

The GNU C++ compiler (g++) is part of GCC (the GNU Compiler Collection), which is certainly a real C++ compiler (better standards compilance than many other C++ compilers, including Microsoft's).
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Could be. I don't program under. I just use it!

grtz
Seb
Veteran

The Walrus wrote:I've tried Linspire 5.0 on my computer and it rules :P It's a great OS with a lot of fancy stuff and good accessories. It's also quick and stable.... So, well, to keep it short: It's a great OS with a lot of functionality and possibilites.

Oh, and the default wallpaper looks nice 8)
Linspire is a great desktop OS that has a feel like Windows and/or MAC. And I have a promotional code to get it for free! Follow these instructions (yes, it's legal!)

1. Go to http://www.linspire.com
2. Add Linspire 5.0 (digital) to your cart.
3. Click 'Apply Coupon'
4. In the spot after it says 'Linspire 5.0', type in 'JDSWelcome' or 'freespire' (without apostrophes.)
5. Your total will come to: 49.95 - 49.95 = 0.00 (no rebates or strings attached!)
Last edited by Patz QuickBASIC Creations on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

But I mean that you can dig around deep in windows and do things you cant do with other OS's. There also lies a drawback in this feature, its asking to be virused!
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
kalc
Coder

Post by kalc »

Well I've decided to try out Linux so I bought Austrumi on mini-CD off Ebay the other day. It runs off the CD although I havn't recieved it yet to see how good it is.

I have noticed that a lot of Linux users (most of em) hate Windows. Why do I note see Windows users hating Linux? Do Linuxers( :roll: ) only start hating Windows after they become Linuxers :?:
I need a pen
Veteran

The main problem with windows is it's instability and how open it is to viruses. Linux (with very few exceptions) has neither of these problems.

Also, anything you can do with Windows you can do with Linux.

Plus, most versions of linux are free, posibly saving you $100-$200! To get a free version of almost any type of Linux, click the link in my signature.

You can still get Linspire for free by reading my post above.
(and, you can still use FreeBASIC in Linux, which you can't in any present versions of Macintosh (MAC, MAC OS X, etc).)
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

PQBC wrote:The main problem with windows is it's instability and how open it is to viruses. Linux (with very few exceptions) has neither of these problems.

Plus, most versions of linux are free, posibly saving you $100-$200! To get a free version of almost any type of Linux, click the link in my signature.

You can still get Linspire for free by reading my post above.
(and, you can still use FreeBASIC in Linux, which you can't in any present versions of Macintosh (MAC, MAC OS X, etc).)
And linux runs in older computers way better. Install xp prof. at 600mhz (196megs ram) pc and use it few weeks. You lost your sense with that combination.

I dont say winshit is total crab, but linux is 10 times better.
Yep.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Hey, laptops fixed, I just got a few questions and when I get them answered, linux is mine!

how can I get my wireless card working? I heard of some sort of wrappers before...

I need something that will run great on a 600mhz with 128 ram. Any ideas? I got cds.

How can I partition my hard drive without destroying data? Anyone?