QB Express #14 Submissions

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express #14 Submissions

Post by Pete »

The deadline for QB Express #14 is approaching!

Deadline: September 15th

So far, I have received only ONE article for next issue. That's not good. So we need YOUR help.

We're looking for submissions of any sort, including tutorials, game reviews, editorials, interviews and more. If you are interested in writing, but don't have a topic, check out the Official QB Express Article Requests Thread. (You can also request for articles
to be written in that thread.)

Send your submissions to: pberg1@gmail.com

QB Express can't exist without your support! All submissions are greatly appreciated!
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Pete,

I asked this before; maybe you missed it.

Do the articles for QB Express need to be authored by one of us members, or could we submit interesting articles authored by other people?
If you are ahead of me, lead.
If you are behind me, follow.
If you are not doing anything,
Get out of the way.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I prefer to publish only new / original content in QB Express. In fact, the only submissions I've ever turned down are ones where people submit oher people's articles that they've found on the Internet...I just don't want to make a magazine out of old content.

However, I will occasionally print older tutorials which haven't gotten a lot of distribution in the past, such as your two tutorials, DarkDread's unpublished RPG tutorials, Jocke The Beast's Roguelikes article and Marcade's DSock Tutorial document. I don't mind doing that once a in a while. But I certainly don't want to make a habit out of publishing previously published articles, even if most people haven't seen them before.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Pete wrote:I prefer to publish only new / original content in QB Express. In fact, the only submissions I've ever turned down are ones where people submit oher people's articles that they've found on the Internet...I just don't want to make a magazine out of old content.

However, I will occasionally print older tutorials which haven't gotten a lot of distribution in the past, such as your two tutorials, DarkDread's unpublished RPG tutorials, Jocke The Beast's Roguelikes article and Marcade's DSock Tutorial document. I don't mind doing that once a in a while. But I certainly don't want to make a habit out of publishing previously published articles, even if most people haven't seen them before.
Ok, Pete, I understand. It makes sense.
If you are ahead of me, lead.
If you are behind me, follow.
If you are not doing anything,
Get out of the way.
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

Anyone interested in the development of Qbinux? I can't guarantee that I will have a new version finished by then but I can surely write an article about the changes.

grtz
Seb
LazyLurah

Post by LazyLurah »

Seb McClouth wrote:Anyone interested in the development of Qbinux? I can't guarantee that I will have a new version finished by then but I can surely write an article about the changes.

grtz
Seb
I am 8)
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

LazyLurah wrote:
Seb McClouth wrote:Anyone interested in the development of Qbinux? I can't guarantee that I will have a new version finished by then but I can surely write an article about the changes.

grtz
Seb
I am 8)
Howdy, I'll write one before the end of next week. (Then I have more changes :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!)

grtz
Seb
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Well I certainly am. What I'm really interested in Seb, is an article defining how all the modules fit together to make the program, outlining where Novix ends and where Seb McClouth QBinux begins, and other such things! :D

I'm currently working on a Mode X tutorial... not like it's practical, what with all the SVGA libs, we don't really need tweaked VGA, but it's still a good learning tool.

I also might write an article/tutorial on script engine ideas, including easy access of variables through scripts, and "compiled" scripts.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

I might tell a bit about the compile-matter.
You'll read it.

grtz
Seb
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

The Awakened wrote:Well I certainly am. What I'm really interested in Seb, is an article defining how all the modules fit together to make the program, outlining where Novix ends and where Seb McClouth QBinux begins, and other such things! :D

I'm currently working on a Mode X tutorial... not like it's practical, what with all the SVGA libs, we don't really need tweaked VGA, but it's still a good learning tool.

I also might write an article/tutorial on script engine ideas, including easy access of variables through scripts, and "compiled" scripts.
I agree with the dude the just woke up (The Awakened) lol. That would be something good to read about. ;-)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Pete, Ive been typing a MONSTER sprite effects tutorial that covers all sorts of cool stuff including alphablending, vertex rotation, masking, particles, gamma effects, scaling, and tons more! It's set up more like a reference than a tutorial and it currently is 28 k long and Ive only covered translucency and started transparency and rotation. I have much more work to do but Ill make sure Im finished before the deadline so expect something fun!
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Sounds great!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Ohhh... I soooo cannot wait!!!
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

REMINDER: Deadline in 9 days!

I have gotten very few submissions so far this month, and I'm beginning to get worried that Issue #14 will be a bit lacking. So far, I've had only FOUR articles submitted and a few letters/news briefs. Normally by this time, I have eight to ten submissions. If you have time to write an article or a tutorial, please do it.

Also, I would especially like to see some game reviews. Last issue, we didn't have any, and I found that to be very disappointing. I'm hoping that #14 won't be a repeat of that. There are a lot of awesome new FB games that haven't gotten reviewed yet. I encourage you to check them out and then tell us what you think!
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I'm currently workiing on a new article on Qbinux. Since Qbinux is taking up a lot of time... What do you need previewed? As long as I can run it on PDS I can handle it...

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

All my Classes are really bogging me down so I havent found time to work
on my tutorial. Im trying as hard as I can to get it done. Looks like ill be pullin' some over-nighters on weekends! Oh yeah and to get whoever's exicted drooling, Im writing examples for every topic. So that means there are 9 examples so far: Masks, Custom Drawing Routines, Pixel Rotation, Scan Rotation, Scaling, Vertex Rotation, Alphablending, Mesh Transparency, Transparency maps. Ive many a more to write!
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Wish I could commit that much time....not really sure this month..still a bit hectic...but I'll see what I can do ....

MystikShadows

Xerol
Veteran

Post by Xerol »

When I get home, I'll post a list of game demos that I've done in the last month or so. There's about half a dozen, I'm sure someone could review one of them.
If you need music composed in MP3, WAV, or MIDI format, please contact me via email.

Xerol's Music - Updated Regularly!

Post by guest »

Pete wrote:REMINDER: Deadline in 9 days!

I have gotten very few submissions so far this month, and I'm beginning to get worried that Issue #14 will be a bit lacking. So far, I've had only FOUR articles submitted and a few letters/news briefs. Normally by this time, I have eight to ten submissions. If you have time to write an article or a tutorial, please do it.

Also, I would especially like to see some game reviews. Last issue, we didn't have any, and I found that to be very disappointing. I'm hoping that #14 won't be a repeat of that. There are a lot of awesome new FB games that haven't gotten reviewed yet. I encourage you to check them out and then tell us what you think!
maybe folks are burning out writing so many per issue maybe
4 articles or so per mag is good if they are somewhat medium
to large sized articles...? just a though as i was wondering about
that the other day...
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Nah I don't think so :-)....it's not a question of burning out at all...:-)...atleast not in my case...I am in the midst of moving (not everything done yet..but almost)...really a question of time for me this month. :-)...I think QB Express is like FAR from even near any kind of end ;-)....some months are harder than others...such is life :-)....

when you think of it...FB is so actively developed and people are making so many things with FB...there's no end to where it will go. :-)...byte your tongue Guest (whoever you are) lol...

MystikShadows