GUI Question

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

kalc
Coder

GUI Question

Post by kalc »

Hi all.
In QB Express #13, one person in the GUI article said that he makes GUI's because he is sick of Windows. Is this saying that he wants a replacement for Windows? I do not understand how he could seriously consider a FB or QB GUI as a replacement for this OS. My main question is: Is it possible to make a GUI that is worthy of replacing Windows?
I need a pen

Post by Guest »

*cough*MacOSXTiger*cough*
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

*cough*Linux KDE, Gnome, etc*cough*
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

"Mac, Linux, ect, ect"

:P I saw a comp using Mac, it was wierd cause of the diff way the files where set up,.. but its presintation was totaly awesome,.. Gfx, effects,.. ect.. lol.. I liked the tool bar where the icons would enlarge as the mouse moved over or toward them,... 8)
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

And that toolbar is also available for windows... I believe it's a dockbar or something. And use my biggest friend: Google!!

grtz
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

It would take a lot of people and a lot of time to make a GUI with as many features and possibilites, but yeah, it's possible. Just to mention a few: Linux, MacOS, OS/2, Ensemble and BeOS. Someone making a "state of the art" GUI with QBasic isn't very likely, though, as QB is slow and limited in many ways. But with FB perhaps :wink:

I use a QB GUI instead of Windows on one of my computers. Why? Because Windows loads a lot of stuff I newer use anyway. If for example I were to write a short letter, I wouldn't need sound drivers, Internet Explorer (I use firefox, but IE is integrated with Windows Explorer) and a lot of other fancy stuff. I would only need a text editor and a few things to handle mouse and keyboard. So why use several hundred megabytes of diskspace on Windows just to get wordpad?
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

It's rare to see this many trolls, they usually shun daylight, social interaction, and persons of the feminine gender..

I'm a girl!

Ya, thats right, run and hide!
I have left this dump.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I won't run... you a girl with a lot of potential... and you know how to use it!!

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Z!ire, why not post a picture of your self so we can all see how hot you are :wink:
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

I have already, too lazy to repost :P

They're over at QBN
I have left this dump.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Nathan1993 wrote:Z!ire, why not post a picture of your self so we can all see how hot you are :wink:
Shes hot, shes got to be. Same name (real one) than my gf 8) :lol:

I have dreamed to create GUI for linux, using FB. Im not sure is there true sense to even think about it, but its fun to dream 8) FBInux...or something