Can't Delete DOS EXE's... and setting EMM386 up...

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

The Awakened
Veteran

Can't Delete DOS EXE's... and setting EMM386 up...

Post by The Awakened »

Well, this has been aggrevating me for some time... I can't delete any DOS EXE's from Windows. This is annoying when I want to recompile something and use the same filename. I've even tried using the KILL command through QB, and I get a "Permission Denied" Error. I'm using Windows 98 SE. Any ideas?

Also, recently, my Autoexec.bat got screwed over by a QB GUI (which took a whole day to fix), and now, when I boot up, and it loads my sound drivers, it says "EMM386 or similar not detected, not loading sound driver" although my sound still works. However, I don't have any Expanded Memory in DOS programs, ie. QB games that use EMS. So I put EMM386 back in my command directory (because it was probably deleted when I went ahead and reinstalled Windows, and it was on my Windows CD), but the sound driver still doesn't say that expanded memory is available. Nor does the Property window for any DOS program (clicking on the memory tab, under the EMS section, it says "This computer is not configured for Expanded Memory in MSDOS sessions." So do I just set my autoexec.bat to say "emm386" before any of the sound drivers are loaded? I know it might be obvious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, heheh.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I would say reformat your drive, and other than that, boot to the command prompt to delete those files... and other that that... I dunno
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

goto bootdisk.com and create a WinMe bootdisk (if you have diskdrive). Boot from your disk if you can, if not, read you bios manual on how to set this.
If you get to the dos-prompt from the bootdisk, go to the desired map on you harddrive and remove the file...

If you don't know how to do this... tell in which map it is... and I'll tell you how to delete it... never use del *.* though!! no joke!!

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I use del *.* daily.
OldDosLover

setuping EMS

Post by OldDosLover »

From your post you did not expalin all of what was needed. To run a dos session the OS will allow you to run a config.sys and autoexec.bat.
In config.sys you need to load highmemory.sys , next then you load ems386.exe add RAM to the end. This allows an amount of EMS as needed. Obvioulsly you can set this up in the shortcut to the application by right clickong the icon and selecting properties. This will not create a dos session but instead will define an environment that this application will run in.
eg
rem config.sys
device=himem.sys
device =emm386.exe RAM '<-- NOEMS ( no EMS!)
' RAM =EMS + Extended memory as needed.

Its best to point the device to a drive and directory like this
device=c:\windows\system\ems385.exe RAM

You will need to search and find the location of each of these files.

As for deleting an EXE , it is possible that it is hidden or system attributed. If its system attributed then it will be very hard to delete. Try this instead. Locate the files parent directory. Go to msdos prompt. Type this
"attrib *.* NAMEOF.FIL" - no aprostophes.
If this file is system attributed then it will say "s".
This command will un system attribute it
attrib -s NAMEOF.FIL
then del NAMEOF.FIL will delete it.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Well I changed one little thing in Config.sys and EMS is up and running! Thanks OldDosLover! :D

As for the EXE's, I checked the attribute, and all it said was "A" which I assume means archived. And Seb, can I not just go "Start ---> Shut Down ---> Restart In MS-DOS Mode"? I'm running Win98, not ME. And reformatting is out of the question for 2 reasons. #1, I can't find my Windows product key. And #2, if I compile a game and people download it, it's a bit of a pain in the ass for them to have to dick around just to get rid of the EXE. It may just be my comp that's having problems, but I want to know for sure.

So, I'm about to restart to MSDOS mode and try deleting them that way. Ciao.

Edit: Yep, it worked. I'm trying to find out how to do this with just Windows though.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Seb McClouth

Post by Seb McClouth »

You use a winME bootdisk even on a dos-pc... it is able to read your hd at that's what's all about ain't it?

I'd suggest to change your config.sys to

Code: Select all

devicehigh=himem.sys  /eisa
devicehigh=emm386.exe RAM
dos=high
  • Why devicehigh? This way the driver is loaded into high memory
    Why use /eisa? In the old days, the industrial pcs had eisamemory. Using it now makes sure that himem uses all the high memory onboard.
    Why dos=high? This makes sure that dos is loaded in high memory.
grtz
Seb
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

What does "grtz" mean (for the 5000th time!)?
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Greeetings
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Or just greetz, for all my brotha's in the hood, yo. :wink:

Sorry. It's late and I'm tired.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Zamaster wrote:What does "grtz" mean (for the 5000th time!)?
read the word "grtz" out loud. Should sound like greets...

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

Actually, to me, it sounds like "Grrrtz!!!!" like a person getting mad at their code and foaming at the mouth.

Hmm... why'd I bump this topic, anyway? :D