New QB Express Poll

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

New QB Express Poll

Post by Pete »

With all the recent QB site shut downs (QBasic News, of course, and possibly now QBasic.com), I decided to ask:
  • What was the most devastating QB site shut down?
    *QBasic: The Magazine (1999)
    *QBT50 (1999)
    *QuickBASIC RPGs (2000)
    *Pete's QB Site (2000)
    *Enhanced Creations (2000)
    *NeoZones Productions (2001)
    *QB45.com (2002)
    *Darkness Ethereal (2002)
    *QBasic News (2005)
    *Other
Of course, this probably isn't the best question to ask since most of you haven't been around long enough to even remember a lot of the sites... but I find this question really interesting, so I went with it. :)

However, I'd like to ask the people who have been around the Qmunity for a longer time to comment on this poll...to tell us their answer and why, to help get more resonant answers than just an anonymous vote in a poll.

So...Could you guys reply to this message and tell which of these shutdowns affected you the most and why? If I get a good response, I'm gonna print them in QB Express.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Yeah back in 2000-2001 I wasn't in the Qmunity too much, I was online, I've seen all these websites ... but QB wasn't part of my languages....I had it but didn't really use it and wasn't really involved in any community activities per se.

However, There's one website closing that affected me in such a way that it sent me even further away from the QB scene. The first was chronologically, the first was Pete's QB site and the main reason was it had so much info on it even at the time. When I couldn't find it no more, any information wasn't too obvious to come by. I didn't really know about QBasicNews back then because I wasn't really looking for forums at the time, just website that had contents I went from the QB top 100 list and clicked on the websites to see what they had :-). they all had atleast some contents but Pete's Website just seemed to have it all.

When I came back "officially" in the QB scene, I was glad to find out Pete's QB Site was still around...found out by accident really, I just decided to click on it just to see and it happened to work and noticed in the news section that Pete was making a comeback, woohoo :-). I was also glad to see that the website that had all the common compilers available once was available again too. And very glad that the All Basic Code was taken over and available again :-). Then I found out that QBasicNews existed through a search that had no relation to forums. Is searched for QBasic reference I was looking for online books really and it brought me to the online QB manual there was at QBasicNews then I started peeking into the forum to see what was going on :-).

EDIT: And now, you're all stuck with me.....muhuhahahahaha ;-).
There you have my answer now :-).
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I've voted for QB45.com (2002). When I came in the community QB45.com was the center of it and everyone nagged about the site not being update. One of the rare if not the only place back then where your QB file would be hosted and reviewed. After the site was ruined the development in the community was declining. The question is how much it's the fault of QB45.com. But we have to put the blame on someone.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Heh.. I've only been around since 2001 or 2002, and not ver active until 2004,. and QBN (Main site, I'd only venture into the forums and flip thru some of them from time to time) and QBasic.com were all I knew at that time.... I'd have to say QBN's, but as being the only one I know.. my vote probaly won't count much in rating.. lol :lol:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)