Excessive QB volume on Dell Latitude computer

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

cbarnert

Excessive QB volume on Dell Latitude computer

Post by cbarnert »

Using QB45 on Windows XP, on a Dell Latitude computer, all sounds are reproduced at an unacceptably high volume. Changing the sound level using Windows Control Panel has no effect. Is there some means within QB to modulate sound volume?

Thanks!

Cyril
burger2227
Veteran

Re: Excessive QB volume on Dell Latitude computer

Post by burger2227 »

No because Qbasic uses the internal DOS speaker.

QB64 uses the stereo speakers
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
mikefromca
Coder

Re: Excessive QB volume on Dell Latitude computer

Post by mikefromca »

From a general QB programming standpoint, volume is always fixed and sounds using qbasic commands only will go through the PC speaker.

Now if you want to get crazy with hardware, feel free to open your computer, and add a resistor (electronic part) in series with the speaker so that it can be quiter or even use a potentiometer. Both items are low cost.

I once made a wave file player for Qbasic that played sounds through the PC stereo speakers (ones connected to a dedicated soundblaster soundcard) using DMA interrupts and the whole bit. sometimes it was fun hearing the sound sometimes crackle because I didn't fill the buffer enough. lol.

But in any event, if you want to think of controlling soundcard volume, you might want to learn about interrupts and the 8086 assembly routines and search the ralf brown's interrupt list and other sections of this site and you could piece together what you need. Good luck