question about concatenation

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!
Bojangles

question about concatenation

Post by Bojangles »

I have two values and 2 string$ variables I need to concatenate. It doesn't like it. I have year day line$ and run$ and I need then as 1 value or string. I tried let lot$ = year + day + line$ + run$ but no dice. Any way to join these items as 1?
{Nathan}
Veteran

Uhhh

Post by {Nathan} »

thats kinda confusing, but i might know wut u wanna do. if some of thes little things you are tying to add are integers, then just use MK... uhh... i dunno wut the exact thing is, but it starts with mk. you con convert integers, singles, doubles to string. hope that helps!!! :? :? :?
Bojangles

Post by Bojangles »

2 are values 2 are string but I want to end up with 1 printable string. Here's the example. year = 4 day = 242 line$ = 26 run$ = 1 Year and day are calculated, line and run are entered. I need 1 printable string out of that , that is 4242261.
{Nathan}
Veteran

i...can...hELP

Post by {Nathan} »

just do it like this

PRINT Varible1, Varible2

ect
easy, eh?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Er... no.

The way Nathan1993 suggested will have 4 or more spaces between the variables.

Here's the way to do it:

Code: Select all

lot$ = LTRIM$(STR$(year)) + LTRIM$(STR$(day)) + line$ + run$
PRINT lot$
STR$ converts a number variable (integer, long, single, double) to a string. If the number is positive, it will have one space in front. That's why I use LTRIM$ as well. It removes spaces at the front of a string.

Hope it helped... again ;)

And Nathan1993:
Nathan1993 wrote:then just use MK... uhh... i dunno wut the exact thing is, but it starts with mk.
You must mean MKI$, MKL$, MKS$ and MKD$. But these are not used for converting numbers to numerical strings. They are for converting numbers to strings bitwise. So if you have a number 666 and you make a string out of it using MKI$, you'll get CHR$(&H9A) + CHR$(02).

So, use STR$. Then the number 666 will just become " 666".

;)
Bojangles

Post by Bojangles »

Thanks again. That's why I come to the pros. I was offline due to the Hurricane. We took quite a hit and doubt we could survive another. If Ivan comes, I may not be back at all.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

No problem :)

Hurricanes are bad. I hope you'll survive any hurricane that passes by!