Unfortunate news

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Huggy

Unfortunate news

Post by Huggy »

I am thrilled that there was such a response to my post,and i hope i will become a permanent fixture in the Qmunity.(im now a real member)
i live in a 3rd world country in africa,(not south africa!)and Longhorn will not arrive here 4 a very long time XP's novelty has not yet worn off and for many THE software is win ME.SAD.I have an ancient WIN 3.1 cpu with
QB,and a MAC G4 with mac OSX.You see my dillema.So what to do?
Abandon QB, never!
Once again the 3rd world will be left in the dust by the "freeworld" but i
continue to program on my cpu.that is why i fear that web sites like this will be fased out, and that people like me and the next QB generation will be forgotten.
I fully support FB,but fear QB will be forgotten.

Huggy.
QB lives.
HUGGY
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Hmm, Africa, they have QB there? cool.. :wink:

Really, I'm sure you might can get FB on your system, don't know, but FB is helping these sites stay, I really dout you'll be left behind.. :wink:

:D Welcome to the community!!! :D
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

QB will NEVER be forgotton! At least in our lifetimes.... :D
"But...It was so beutifully done"
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Rattrapmax6 is right :-). I agree with him on everything he said.

if you have windows 95 or more, you should be able to run FreeBasic without a problem. Oh and FreeBasic is also available for DOS 32 Bits (pure dos that is) so even that windows 3.1 machine should run that version fine.

Welcome to the community :-)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I don't know why everybody comes to *my site* and talks about how they think QB will be forgotten and QB programmers will forget the past.

Do you people have any idea what this site is? It's a gigantic archive of old QB programs, reviews, tutorials, magazines and links! Obviously we're not going to forget QB... this whole damn site is a shrine to the friggin language.

I can understand if you go to, say, FreeBasic.tk and make this argument... they completely shut down their QB site when FB came out... but here it just doesn't make sense.

And then the other thing is -- FB *is* QB...exact same syntax and commands, just with a lot more features. It's a 99% compatible compiler...except for the fact that you can actually make programs that run on peoples' computers. It's not like everyone here is switching to C++ or something.

This whole stupid "QB is dying! Remember QB! Never forget!" debate has been going on for way too long. Nobody's fork forgetting QB. If anything, FB will make people remember QB more. Think of all the FB ports of old *forgotten* QB games that have been coming out lately. FB gives people a reason to go back in time and try out QB sourcecode from QB's heyday. If FB didn't exist, the Qmunity would just be sitting here, stagnating, losing members a whole lot faster than it gains them. I guarantee you that this community would have been completely dead in 5 years if it weren't for FB.

The Qmunity thrived UNTIL Windows XP came out with shoddy DOS support (about 2001 it started its massive decline)... You can actually tell by looking through web archives of QB sites -- as Windows XP gradually gained in popularity, the number of QB releases and site updates dropped at the same rate. As more time passes and fewer people still use DOS-based Windows OSes, QB will become more and more worthless from a practical standpoint. There will come a time in a few years when even third world countries will be using Windows XP. That's when QB will really die. But nobody's gonna FORGET it...as long as the FB community stays intact. Now QB will live on through FB rather than just dying and disappearing off the face of the planet.

Change is good. FB is the future.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Eh, our future Pete? Its are present, are new valley we are roaming, then next frontier we are standing on, its a whole lot of great things rolled all up in one package....

I do agree, like I said b4, FB is QB just modfied,... its like a Evo* with NOS**

So, there you have it, without FB, QB will be forgotin, with FB, we'll still code in the BASIC language!!!

* 2004 Lancer Evolution VIII or 2005 MR edition of that
** NOS (Nitro Oxide System), I'm sure you know what that does, heh heh... :D
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Hmm...Pete, that's some interesting things you said and agree with them, hence my 1 line summary QB will Never be forgotten.

Hmmm...people are going to your site and thinking QBs dying? that's hilarious :lol: ...and ironic to.

But as you said its not, it will live in FB cause of Microsoft...., and this site is a shrine to it. So.... :D
m2j

Post by m2j »

Yeah, its funny, but now that FB is out the Qmunity has reverted to what it was like originally (for me anyway)... Every time you log on someone has done something ten times more powerfully amazing, and you get the source and check it out and feel like your thirteen years old again and left right and center people are arguing over stupid, pointless matters of equittet like 'is it okay to use libs' or 'is it okay to use FB'... memories...

I like it much better now then, lets say, a year ago
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Is really stupid, FB is the next QB language, just like 7.1 was the last next QB language... Maybe we should nick name it FBasic to match QBasic? hmm, oh well, no good deed goes unpunished as they say. :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
ShadowWolf
Veteran

Post by ShadowWolf »

Fbasic na not unless somone goes and make a interpertor from FB source which could be done. then you could call it Fbasic.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:lol: Was just saying, heh heh,.. nevermind... :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Doesn't matter what the name....it is what it is, and its name has no effect on it.

You could call it FreeCrap and it would still be an awsome compiler. :lol: