QB lives on!!

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Huggy

QB lives on!!

Post by Huggy »

I HAVE HEARD IT SAID THAT QB IS DEAD,OR AT LEAST DYING.
to this i respond,bollocks! i am a huge QB fan,and yes,a newbie,i learn to program RPG's from tutorials by NATHAN,Dark Dread and others.And i refuse to believe that the blessed Qmunity would forget their past and roots in Qb,settling rather for the infamous FB,yes change is good, but so is tradition.
I am new to the Qmunity,a part of a new Qb generation.QB lives on in me and in the others who found some of that precious software on their beaten down Win 3.1 CPU's.
Pete,i urge you to show this message on the main page.
huggy
ps.my names pete also.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:shock: You are diffently new,. would you mind removing those:

Code: Select all

[b]......[/b]
tags, if you can under guest... All bold print is as bad as all CAPs, hard to read... :wink:

There are loads of us who still use QB, I play around with both FB and QB, and even tho I'm taking a strong liking to FB's power, I got those things I like to do in QB.... :roll: Just so you know..
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Levi
Veteran

Post by Levi »

One idea that it's dying is that it is DOS based. Not regular console based. So if DOS ever goes, so does QB unless you use a less modern computer when that time does come. Or unless you port DOS to the new system.

I don't know the validity of that argument and won't even dare to speculate. I'm a writer by trade and do things like this on the side.

I have a question though. If I were to recreate the entire QB language for real Console development and gave it a windows IDE would you use it? I mean it's still QB, in the sense of the commands and abilities. It's simply done differently in many areas.

FB is not an enemy. It's a step foreward in case there comes a time when you cannot step back. Saying it's dying is not a call to abandon it. If anyone says it is then they should be ignored. I'll continue to use QB myself as long as possible. But if in the end I can no longer use it then I have other languages to use.

We don't forget our roots.
Later days,
Matthew

May those who love us love us
And those who don't
May the good Lord turn their hearts
And if he doesn't
May he turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping
-Irish prayer
vohaul
Coder

Re: QB lives on!!

Post by vohaul »

Huggy wrote:And i refuse to believe that the blessed Qmunity would forget their past and roots in Qb,settling rather for the infamous FB,yes change is good, but so is tradition.[/b]
Aren't we all here because we have a link with Basic? Since when is QuickBasic the only Basic out there? QBasic is also a viable version, as is PDS. I don't see FB as a threat to the QB community, I see it as a much-needed step forward for both the scene and the language. A free, QB-compatible (mostly) compiler that allows coders to go farther into programming than QB would let them. QB is old, its roots are with DOS, and DOS is dying. However much we'd want to keep to the original, progress is a good thing.

And if I look at the things being made with FreeBasic, I can say nothing more than that I wish this progress is sustained and cherished.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to disagree. FB isn't the death of us, it's the much needed shot in the arm the community and coders needed. Some will follow, some will stay. But regardless of where one resides, if one codes Basic, this is the place to be.
I am what you'd call a nice bastard.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

DOS cannot, and will not die. Hmm...

*gets an idea for the next qbxpress*
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:roll: Hmm, take a look at it like this:

Once opon a time there was GW-Basic, as time went on it needed to upgrade and went to QuickBasic, then after another run it had to modify to QBasic (Skipping up to 4.5), then it had to move on to PDS7.1.. Now the time come that FreeBasic is the next step in it evolution.. even if its not made by MS, it stays true to the BASIC name and alows for things that QB couldn't do.. just like every other step up in the history.. see, we're not abandoning, were making it better.. and you can set up some FB IDEs to even look like the old QB IDE.. :wink:

You can keep your oppinion, but none of the other BASIC updates killed BASIC did it? No, they made it better, FB is BASIC on the next frontier.. :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

DOS is dying. New versions of Windows operating systems (Win XP and eventually, Longhorn), which are installed on 90% of the world's computers, do not have adequate DOS support. They can not run most advanced QB programs.

Now let me ask you this: Why do you write QB programs and release them on the Internet?

The answer is: So that people will use them! You want people to try out your games, applications, etc.

These days if you write your program in QB, chances are Windows XP users (90% of the world) can not use it.

So what's the point of programming in QB? It's lost its purpose...unless you want to write programs just for your own personal use.

FreeBasic, on the other hand, creates compiled EXEs that ANYBODY can run, on Windows32, Linux and other modern platforms. It also has the SAME format as QB for about 99% of functions. As far as I'm concerned, if you stick with QB, you're wasting your own time. Nobody's ever going to use your programs...because they can't.

You've got to face the facts.

I run one of the largest QB sites of all time, but I also use Windows XP. So if you write a program in QB that uses soundblaster sound, EMS memory, certain libraries, etc. -- I can't run it. Simple as that. Every few days someone sends in a QB program that I can not get to work. So for the most part, I've quit trying.

And I'm not an exception.

Here's some stats for the visitors of my site:
1. Windows XP 71.7 %
2. Windows 98 15.1 %
3. Linux 5.7 %
4. Windows 2000 5.7 %
5. Windows ME 1.9 %

The users of Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Linux can not run your QB programs without jumping through hoops. That's over 83% of the audience at a WEBSITE DEVOTED TO QB PROGRAMMING. Most websites don't get 17% of their traffic from Win98 & ME... this site does only because it's a programming site for those DOS-friendly platforms.

So ask yourself: why are you programming in the first place?

If it's so that other people will try your programs, and you're still programming in QB, then you're a hypocrite. People want Win32-compatible programs that they can actually use, not antiquated DOS programs that just crash every time they try to run them.
TheBazookaSquirrel

Post by TheBazookaSquirrel »

I fully agree with Pete. DOS dies, QBasic4DOS dies, a big part of our life dies. But then the good news: FreeBasic is kick'n alive! BASIC goes further then only the DOS part of our life. Now is the time to move on. When Windows XP was released everybody said: "What a waste of money!" Now almost everybody works with Windows XP (illegal or legal that doesn't matter). So move on and take a step into the future.

@Huggy: If you stay where you are with QBasic, you will allmost certain stop programming BASIC in the incoming 3 years!! Take the step to FreeBasic. To me it was also a big step. But now, as I look back, it was a huge step forward.

Viva FreeBasic!
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:) Heh, I managed something in less words, but Pete's made more since.. Yep and I'm officaly moving Space Warp to the new frontier of Basic programming.. Drawing spites with MS Paint is way nicer than inline DATA... My site is next.. :wink:

^^^^ Example, when Space Warp is done, I would like for all to be able to play it... is it becoming clear? :wink: ^^^^
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

QB served its purpose in its glory days, and I can't think of any other compiler out there which has stood the test of time that QB has. But those days are over now. FB isn't the future...it's the present. QB is now the past. Sure, there's a lot of people out there who will still sing the praises of both QB and DOS, but what do they usually cite as examples? Embedded systems running manufacturing programs on stripped-down custom DOS versions. I hardly call that "common" or even "useful" to the casual user. POS systems in QB running under Windows 98 (or even just MS-DOS or PC-DOS)...great! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! But what good is that POS system going to do for a gamer? Or the common programmer? Or just the average user? Absolutely nothing!

The best part about FB is that it doesn't break tradition at all. It's still the same QB, more or less...just much much faster, far more compatible, and with great features that QB should have had all along. And the Qmunity that backed QB for all those years hasn't changed much. What you coded in QB you can still code in FB and you may not even have to change at all, depending on what you're doing. FB is what VB should have been but never was and never will be, especially now with its migration from a useful (but not worthy of a QB successor) language to a useless bucket of slop...
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Well, i also did swear in name of QB, and even long time ago :lol:

For some reason i didnt even try FB for a while, every body sayd that it?s "QB in win workable" but i couldnt believe it.
After i first time compiled my qb code thru FB and i notice that i only need to change 4-5 lines, i was sold.

Were not forgottin our roots.
Im still trying to find a old MSX computer so i could program with it. MSX Basic was something 8)

Code: Select all

10 CLS
20 CIRCLE(110,110),80,11
30 PAINT(110,110),11
40 GOTO 40
:D 8) :lol: :roll:
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Post by Mitth'raw'nuruodo »

Welll, well, well, its my turn to say something.

QB is a good language to learn basic (not the language) programming techniques and to refine them.

Microsoft is making Windows more unsupportive of DOS. Has to do something with security issues, that once your past the basic dos structure wall, you have access to the whole computer remotely...

FB is here and it is the BASIC language of today. QB is still fun to code around in though, and will be still the language to teach young kids in for years to come.

Me? I haven't done any FB yet, though once SpaceMerc. and The Cube are done I will. Speaking of which the new core demo is up, I NEED comments.

Plus looking at QB's IDE is soooo fun :D .

Well, that's all I have to say.
"But...It was so beutifully done"
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Everybody's vision of FreeBasic are different as you can see. I'm and old DOS lover myself (ask lurah, he knows lol) if IE and outlook existed for DOS I wouldn't have windows on my harddrive ;-).

And FreeBasic even answers my call. Yes, FreeBasic is also available for DOS 32 bits....imagine a QuickBasic that can handle a 2 GIG string? Haven't we all, in our most inner evil side, at one point, ever wanted this? now we got it in FreeBasic. aside the IDE, there's no reason not to make the move even if you're learning.

I agree with Nek as far as VB and VB.NET are concerned of course :-). He's definitaly right about what VB became in it's .net reincarnation. I also agree that FB is what VB should have been. The choice is yours. but me, I use FreeBasic for DOS development still today, and for things I'd like others to try, I won't distribute it unless I can compile it in Windows Console mode which it handles very well too.

FreeBasic is breaking all barriers on all platforms. think of it as BorgBasic, resistence really is futile ;-)....lol
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

heh....trekky, I despise them. :P
The question still remains: Which is better: Star Wars or Star Trek. :D

Lurah is a guy?! :shock: Wow, I thought he was a girl...heh :roll: ....sorry...

Ummm...FreeBASIC can do DOS? Hmmmm.... :twisted:

Q: Does anyone know what BASIC stands for? (FYI I know)
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:heh....trekky, I despise them. :P
The question still remains: Which is better: Star Wars or Star Trek. :D

Lurah is a guy?! :shock: Wow, I thought he was a girl...heh :roll: ....sorry...

Ummm...FreeBASIC can do DOS? Hmmmm.... :twisted:

Q: Does anyone know what BASIC stands for? (FYI I know)
1. Why you on star-trek?

2. Its the spelling, threw me off once opon a time too... heh.. :wink:

3. FreeBasic can do Lunix, DOS, Windows,.. eh, what else? Macintosh yet? (can't spell it, heh,... :wink: )

4. I did, but it slipped out of my head, something to do with Begginer friendly language is all I can remember.. :) Looks in QB By example.. Ah,..
Greg Perry wrote:BASIC stands for Basic All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. That's a mouth full. As its abbreviated name implies, however, BASIC was designed for beggining programmers.
That counts in FreeBasic, its begginer friendly, duh, it uses the same command line!!... :lol:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Veteran

Well I forgot it too....opps... :oops:

But I know the B = Begginner's, C = Code.

Ummm...
MystikShadows wrote: think of it as BorgBasic, resistence really is futile ....lol
That's why I'm on Star-Trek

Post by Guest »

[quote="Mitth'raw'nuruodo"Lurah is a guy?! :shock: Wow, I thought he was a girl...heh :roll: ....sorry...[/quote]

Ok, i guess it?s time to change my nick finally...or was it how i write? :lol: :oops: :twisted: :shock: :x

Mitth. Dont say a word anymore :lol:
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Ok, that "guest" was me :lol:
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:Well I forgot it too....opps... :oops:

But I know the B = Begginner's, C = Code.

Ummm...
MystikShadows wrote: think of it as BorgBasic, resistence really is futile ....lol
That's why I'm on Star-Trek
Beginner's All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code for those that want to know ;-)
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

To lurah: Heh, I had Mitth thinking a was from Scotland or something like that,. trying to figure tho, its prononced "lu - rah" right, not "lur-ah"??

To Mystic: Eh? I put that above, in the quote from QB By Example..... :wink:

Edit: For the heck of it, & ASCII = "American Standard Code Information Interchange",.. right? :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)