!!!!!!new un explored territory in qb!!!!!!!!!

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

iamdenteddisk
Veteran

!!!!!!new un explored territory in qb!!!!!!!!!

Post by iamdenteddisk »

wanting to setup a new virtual server to program, hack and interogate "virtually"..

so i have been playing with oracle virtual box, running on a dell inspiron laptop with windowsXP.
so far i have managed to setup both a ubuntu x86 instal in VM and now a second VM running dos622..

i was reading up on legality of OS's and find now windows 3.1 abandonware i think this means someone couldlegally install it into VM.

any way I am a qb hobbiest from way back and am entertaining the idea of using the virtual box to maybe serve a webpage/bbs/irc or two.. one for a personal blog and maybe one for "qbnostalgia".. i would love to host qb gaming and such, even if it was only possible with a local network but online if possible.
so I rambled my ideas out here once again and I hope to hear some feedback on it..

is this stuff possible dos/win31 as private file sever or webserver in virtual box?

I like the idea of further development of qb games and apps and even expanding win31's ability's with qb as an ide. I heard it's a real possibility using 3.1? any thoughts?

im not looking to profit from the idea but to enjoy the act of as a time killer hobby speak up if you want to group effort on it, i think it be fun.
I seen some pretty cool screenshots of things done with calmera to.

ok so iseen the Fake86 post and even downloaded to experiment but I am reaching for a inboard server ability that will require not only online conection but also a local connection. i cant find any documentation to know if fake86 can do this. any thoughts?
burger2227
Veteran

Re: !!!!!!new un explored territory in qb!!!!!!!!!

Post by burger2227 »

Windows 3.1 was my first OS and it ran separately from DOS without NTVDM which was added when all Windows OS's went to NT. I remember just making a master Batch Menu for DOS programs where WIN was the command to open Windows 3.1, 95 (which I never had) and Windows 98 SE. Never ran ME either...

XP 32 bit was my first NT OS that used NTVDM. 64 bit XP did not have it as the lower programs were only 32 bit, not 16.

Perhaps you could help me get a Virtual Box running it in Windows 10?
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

Post by iamdenteddisk »

oracle VM says it works with windows 10..

I am using it myself. what it requires is that you download and setup oracle VM then you decide the settings for your ideal machine.
setting up what will happen when you turn it on basically..

you have to provide it with either a virtual harddrive image or create a blank image to load from disk or iso's of the files you want installed.

once you get that far, you turn it on and will need to go through "the entire install process for a new computer" everything from OS to special drivers suporting use..

after that, when you turn on the VM it will be your ideal machine in a box.

the websites offer help/support.. what way do you plan to use it?
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

How much drive space is required? My laptop has about 106 G free out of 148G (160 G hard drive)

I could try it on my 64 bit though.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
iamdenteddisk
Veteran

Post by iamdenteddisk »

oracleVM, it's not bad very small actually. the program folder,only 1.44mb now anything you want to install to the VM will be on the harddrive.

if you have the 106G of free space and at least 2g of ram you probably wont notice any slowdown at all having both running.

in short you need to be able to dedicate as much ram to the virtual system as you would to a real system.
on the dell i just built from junk, having only 1G real ram i do notice a slowdown but no errors.. after the virtual ramdrive mod, It runs much smoother but still "just noticeable"

while with this laptop having 3G of real ram installed it zings,has no visible slowdown.

I just run the benchmark test and it performs on the laptop in vm better than it does on the real computer i just built..

you might also like the calmera, which is a 3.1 upgrade having the original 3.1OS but with video and hi res graphics ability. "almost 98 my thinking on it is it is so obsolete/unpopular, maybe hackers and attackers wont have documentation/tools on 3.1 to do anything to it.. hows that for online security?