Linux Newbie/QB64

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

TuLithu
Coder

Linux Newbie/QB64

Post by TuLithu »

HELP!

benjamin@benjamin-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ /home/benjamin/Desktop/qb64/setup.sh
QB64 Setup

Make sure the following packages are installed before continuing:
(SDL packages should be version 1.2 or 1.2.???)
libsdl-dev
libsdl-image-dev
libsdl-mixer-dev
libsdl-net-dev
libsdl-ttf-dev (may report as version 2.0)
timidity (only required if playing MIDI files)

Press any key to continue...

Checking for existance of 'g++'
g++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
The above line should read 'g++: no input files'. If it doesn't you need to install the g++ compiler before continuing.

Press any key to continue...

Creating 'qb64'...
(Notes: Warnings can be ignored. This process could take a minute or so.)
cp: cannot stat `./internal/source/*': No such file or directory
/home/benjamin/Desktop/qb64/setup.sh: 35: cd: can't cd to ./internal/c
g++: error: libqbx.cpp: No such file or directory
g++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
g++: error: libqbx_lnx.o: No such file or directory
g++: error: qbx.cpp: No such file or directory

Setup complete!

Launching 'qb64'...
/home/benjamin/Desktop/qb64/setup.sh: 43: /home/benjamin/Desktop/qb64/setup.sh: ./qb64: not found

Note: 'qb64' is located in same folder as this setup program.
Press any key to exit...
burger2227
Veteran

Post by burger2227 »

I gather you are using Linus...

In Windows you just have to unzip it to a folder.
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
TuLithu
Coder

Post by TuLithu »

Thanks, Captain Obvious :roll:

In Windows I also have to listen to my fan blow full speed constantly, and smell my processor frying.

I just started using Linux, and amazingly, my processor usage now stays below 10% most of the time, even when running MS DOS as a virtual machine on top of Linux.

My theory is that Intel and Microsoft work hand in hand to get us to buy faster and faster hardware...by producing an inefficient operating system that will burn up older or less powerful processors, thereby generating sales for both companies. Of course, this is nothing new. Even DOS has a "bug" that causes the processor to run all the time and get hot. Answer? DOSIdle.exe
GarryRicketson
Veteran

Installing qb64 to Linux

Post by GarryRicketson »

These are some links to some threads that may help,.
The first is a installer, that DSMAN wrote, it worked great for me, it even downloads qb64, then installs it ,
Linux installer
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?top ... 1#msg54691
Then these threads also discuss some problems people have had,

--------------
Getting Linux g+files
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?top ... 69#msg5269
--------------------------
Installing qb64 to linux
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?top ... 5#msg31325
I strongly recommend trying the installer, because it will also, try to get the needed
g+, and (SDL packages should be version 1.2 or 1.2.???)
libsdl-dev
libsdl-image-dev
libsdl-mixer-dev
libsdl-net-dev
libsdl-ttf-dev (may report as version 2.0)
timidity (only required if playing MIDI files)
It is necessary to have these correctly installed,..If you still have any problem, let us know,
either here, or the other forums, here is fine,
good luck ,
from Garry
TuLithu
Coder

Post by TuLithu »

Thank you so much. I tried downloading and installing all the libraries, but there was one that I couldn't find on the server. Hopefully the installer will work.
GarryRicketson
Veteran

Installer

Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome, I had the same problem, there was one SDL package, that was not showing up in the package manager, I am using Linux Mint 13, but had the same problem with Mint10, What distro , (version) are you using ?, Matt, whom wrote the installer, if it dose not work, for your distro, let us know, what distro it is, then maybe it can be added to the installer script, and the appropriate sites for the sdl packages,also.
This is to say, if it dose not work, maybe it can be modified so it will,...
from Garry
DSMan195276

Post by DSMan195276 »

Hi, I'm Matt (The guy who wrote the installer). I just wanted to point out that I wrote a much better installer script then the one Garry linked to (The one Garry linked to is actually fairly old, I don't recommend it).

Here is a link to the actual installer I wrote not to long ago. All you have to do is download and extract the script inside and run it, it will take care of everything including installing dependencies, downloading QB64, and compiling it. I was going to give you a link but I can't post links until I have at least one post :oops: Just replace 'dot' with a period, sorry about that:

www dot qb64 dot net/forum/index.php?topic=10267.msg84155#msg84155

I hope that helps, if your distro isn't on the list I'd be happy to add support for it.

Matt
GarryRicketson
Veteran

OOps ! Sorry

Post by GarryRicketson »

Oops, Sorry Matt, and TuLithu,
I am really sorry, and I can't edit it, so if anyone else trys it I hope they read the entire thread,...
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?top ... 5#msg84155
Is the newer, better one,
again I am very sorry,
TuLithu
Coder

Post by TuLithu »

I'm using Xubuntu 12 (Xfce) on a HP Pavillion G6
DSMan195276

Post by DSMan195276 »

XUbuntu should work, If for some reason it's not working, adding support for it into my script is trivial since it uses the same repo's as Ubuntu. Here is a direct link to the installer:

http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?act ... attach=891

I recommend making a new directory for QB64 and running the script from there as the script will put several files into the directory it's run from.

Hope that helps,

Matt
TuLithu
Coder

Post by TuLithu »

Downloading now...
TuLithu
Coder

Hmmmmmm...

Post by TuLithu »

Well, the installer ran great, and started two instances of the program when done, but when I type QB64 at the terminal, nothing happens, and QB64 doesn't appear anywhere in my Start menus.

I think Ubuntu would like to add QB64 to the Ubuntu Software Center. I don't know how all that works though.
TuLithu
Coder

Post by TuLithu »

OK, I found it...in my personal directory. The program looks great. Is the program still being developed? Thanks for all your help, both of you.
DSMan195276

Post by DSMan195276 »

Glad to help, and I can explain some of your questions:

QB64 is created more like a Windows EXE file. In the directory you ran the script you'll find a executable file named "qb64" as well as a "run_qb64.sh" script (You should use the script if running the qb64 executable directly doesn't work). Because of this, there isn't an easy way to add it to the Software Center. The software center is just a front-end to the 'apt-get' package manager. Basically, all Ubuntu software is installed via .deb files. .deb files basically contain what "Program Files" did on Windows, they contain all of the files a program needs to run. Ubuntu installs these .deb files into your file-system and then you have the program on your computer. It's a pretty smart idea and works very well for most programs, but it requires the program to be system-wide because it installs the program into the system folders, not into your personal files.

Since QB64 is a stand-alone program, currently it can't work as a system-wide program and thus a .deb file can't be created for it. My 'installer' does nothing more then download QB64 into the current directory and compile it. It's not 'installed' in the typical sense, it's just sitting in your files and can be run.

And as for adding a menu option, it's an idea I didn't have while writing the installer. In theory, adding a menu option isn't much more then putting the right file in the right place, and it's actually really easy, I'll have to write that down to add to my installer script. But if you'd like to do it yourself, all you have to do is write a 'QB64.desktop' file and place it in your "~/.local/share/applications" folder. It will automatically appear in your menu after that. You could google how to make a desktop file if you want to try, or you could email me and I could explain it to you if you'd like.

QB64 is still being developed at www.qb64.net. I go by the same name at the Forum there. When the next version of QB64 comes out, you'll be able to install it by downloading the newest version of my Installer (On the forum topic for my installer I list the current version it uses, it's in the 'QB64 Community' section). I'd be glad to help you out if you need anything,

Matt