QBASIC.COM gone?

Announce and discuss the progress of your various programming-related projects...programs, games, websites, tutorials, libraries...anything!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

tlsuess wrote:Wordpress is fairly simple to set up but it's more geared on websites that have more of a blog-type feel for them. I mean there's nothing wrong with it, but it might be tough if the forum moves to QBasic.com.
What forumsoft do you have in mind, btw? punBB or something like it?
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

I was thinking of making one unique to QBasic.com. It's not that PunBB is bad, but the site would look more unique if there was something different than phpBB or SMF. I was thinking something along the lines of QB45.com's discussion board but different.
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

As long as it's threaded like these forums and not tree'd like the N54 forums. :l
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

I'm trying to stay away from a linear forum layout but the one at QB45.com is the one I made. It's simple and threaded.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Looks like games.qbasic.com was hit with the same spam-attack vulnerability we were hit with awhile back. To remedy it, you have to clean your source files, and then update all of your web system software, mainly php and mysql (if applicable), as well as (usually) apache itself. This particular attack comes from a "boy trade" crime ring based in South America (in other words, it's an underage _MOUSEX human trafficking ring).
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

Nodtveidt wrote:Looks like games.qbasic.com was hit with the same spam-attack vulnerability we were hit with awhile back. To remedy it, you have to clean your source files, and then update all of your web system software, mainly php and mysql (if applicable), as well as (usually) apache itself. This particular attack comes from a "boy trade" crime ring based in South America (in other words, it's an underage _MOUSEX human trafficking ring).
I guess you've seen it all. :wink: I never would've guessed that. I thought it was just some Arab or Russian who was trying to control all sites using that file base software. Someone was trying that with CMSimple sites too.
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

Okay, QBasic.com is now on the new LightSpeed-powered server. Perfect platform for PHP-based applications.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Hrm...I see Pete's filters are being dumb again. :evil:

Mark, glad you got everything fixed up. :D
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

Offtopic: Hey Nodt, I like your the site in your sig. Wish I had an NDS. They're too expensive still. Hope they drop in price when the NDSi comes around. If it goes to $99 I'll grab one, and then pony up the $60 for a CycloDS and EZFlash 3-in-1 to play some old GBA games too...like MMZ, etc..

Ontopic: I guess I'll mess around with wordpress this afternoon, see what it can do.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Glad the site's up again! I don't want to see QBasic.com go down, even if it is my #1 competitor on the search engines, heheh.
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

Someone post a list of RSS feeds from QBasic sites. I have no idea where to start looking, honestly.

EDIT: Also suggest some links for the sidebar.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

The RSS feed for this site is: http://petesqbsite.com/coranto/RSS/pete ... s_feed.php

As for links for the sidebar, there aren't too many left. These are off the top of my head:

Portals / Community Sites...
QB45
QBasic Station
QB Cafe
QBasic News
Pete's QB Site
QBasic Games Directory
V Planet!
Phat Code
PCopy! Magazine

Active forums....
N54
Pete's QB Site
QBasic News
NeoBasic (not really about programming anymore though)

Developers....
Piptol
Jocke The Beast
Dav's QBasic Site
Acid Works (probably the oldest QB site still around, heheh)
DarkDreams Software
Delta Code
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

Pete, how is your feed formatted? I doesn't seem to use XML at all. :L

As for the other websites, I was just at QB45 looking for an RSS feed but I couldn't find one. To be honest, I didn't look past the front page, but if a site supports RSS then it shouldn't hide the feed somewhere (lol).

EDIT: Nevermind Pete, every once and a while your feed doesn't use any XML. If I hit F5 a couple times it fixes itself. Weird.

EDIT2: Okay, your feed works now. Check it out. Now we just need more of these things.

EDIT3: Oops, now I see your first list is for links. My bad.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

www.qbasic.com/games doesn't seem to be setting off security report by FF anymore. It's not that I didn't care, it just...I couldn't diagnose the problem.

Mark, if you want or need me to do something about www.qbasic.com/games let me know. I'll try to do my best, but I'm very busy with other interests.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

It's your baby. If you ever want to play with it again, just let me know. No pressure.
tlsuess
Veteran

Post by tlsuess »

QB45 doesn't have an RSS feed. I can make one if you'd be interested.
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

If it would actually change often enough due to activity, that would be cool. Otherwise, not worth it.

If you guys make account on QBasic.com I can give anyone who has the literary chops to write articles the power to write some. I'll read and validate them to make sure it's not spam or something and then they'll get published. QBasic.com can be your platform.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Cool, it's off to a good start!

Still, I'm not sure how many RSS feeds you're going to find around the Qmunity, because hardly any of the sites are still updated...

One issue I noticed is that there are some duplicate news get repeated, because I post the same news on both my site and QBasic News. (Look at the QB Express #29 release thread, for instance.)

Is it possible to delete dupe posts like that? (and also make sure that they won't automatically show up again?)
Mark
Coder

Post by Mark »

I can delete posts, but I don't think I can automatically filter them out. That sucks, yeah...
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Hey Lachie and Mark -- the QB Games Directory is still having problems.

If I enter through http://www.qbasic.com/games all the links in the sidebar are broken, but I get no malware alert errors.

If I enter through http://games.qbasic.com/ I still get a malware warning, AND the link to the main site is broken.