Hello Everyone!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Andrew Dance
Coder

Hello Everyone!

Post by Andrew Dance »

I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Andrew, and have been coding in basic for a few years, without much progress. I've used Pete's site a lot in learning (the only source other than QBasic's help file). I've started to get into more serious programming, so i figured I'd join the board, since it's the only QBasic site that is up to date and actually active.

Expect me around a bit, because I can be completely lost in QBasic.

oh, also, I'm pretty good at Actionscript if any beginners want help at it.

-Andrew
BadMrBox
Veteran

Post by BadMrBox »

Welcome to Pete's Qbasic Site Andrew :).
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Hi and welcome to our tiny but pretty nice forum. Tho, we are angry peoples time to time but ignore us then :lol:
ma1wrbu5tr

Post by ma1wrbu5tr »

I started using BASIC with my first PC (Timex/Sinclair 1000) in 1983, and later dabbled in Qbasic long enough to add some funny faces to my "gorillas", but never really got into programming.

Now, advancement at my job requires that all too "left-brained" programming skillset, so I decided to start where I left off, with Qbasic. Being a "right-brainer" myself, finding study materials that are easy to parse had left me limited to the few "Dummies" books out there.

Until I found PetsQB. Thanks, guy. Your site is turning out to be a lifesaver.

Incidentally, my job will eventually require the use of Assembly, to reverse engineer some rootkits to build removal tools.

I was hoping the Code Gods here would have mercy and point me in a direction or two.. and maybe recommend a book.

I know I am months away from learning all I need to know about basic (not BASIC) programming before I can comfortably move to something harder, but wanted to ask anyway.
/dev/null
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad my site's been a good resource for you.
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

ma1wrbu5tr wrote:I started using BASIC with my first PC (Timex/Sinclair 1000) in 1983, and later dabbled in Qbasic long enough to add some funny faces to my "gorillas", but never really got into programming.

Incidentally, my job will eventually require the use of Assembly, to reverse engineer some rootkits to build removal tools.

I was hoping the Code Gods here would have mercy and point me in a direction or two.. and maybe recommend a book.

I know I am months away from learning all I need to know about basic (not BASIC) programming before I can comfortably move to something harder, but wanted to ask anyway.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/assembly-langu ... index.html

This link has a lot of helpful reference materials for assembly.

One section in particular that can be useful for manipulating memory addresses even in QB using INP, OUT, PEEK, and POKE is the Intel Architecture Software Developers Manual containing details on the x86 architecture.
5.1 x86 OPCODES

The best source of OpCodes up to and including the Pentium Pro processor
is in the Intel Architecture Software Developer’s Manual, Volume 2:
Instruction Set Reference Manual. It is available in .pdf format from
Intel’s Web Site:

http://developer.intel.com/design/penti ... 243191.htm
I wish I'd found this stuff years ago. You can download the entire 3 volume series in PDF format from http://www.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/