QB Express #26

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express #26

Post by Pete »

[html]<p><strong>QB Express #26</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on February 9, 2008<br>
The <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... ">February issue</a> of QB Express is now available!<br><br>It's been over three months since the last issue, but it definitely was worth the wait. This issue features one of our largest News Brief segments ever, as well as NINE articles/tutorials, covering topics such as "The Art of Rounding"; creating your own Worms-like scrolling engine; using FMOD to play sound in your Freebasic programs; Database indexing; programming spring physics in FB; and functions with local variables.<br><br>QB Express is definitely getting back on track, and I think this issue will prove that.<br><br>You can read it all in <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... x.html">QB Express #26</a>!</p>[/html]
BadMrBox
Veteran

Post by BadMrBox »

Yay, nice read.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

*HOORAY*
Downloading

@Lachie:
A friend of mine who agrees with my thoughts cleverly summed it by saying that the old community was about the people and not the language, and now it's about the language.
You have a wise friend with who i agree.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Codemss wrote:I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Maybe I will make a tutorial part 2, where I go deeper into stuff. Is there any interest?

If there's any interest, I think I will cover projectile motion, implention of everything I explained and an example engine.
Words of wisdom: don't bother asking if there's any interest, just do it. If people aren't interested, they'll tell you afterwards, not beforehand. :D
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Nodtveidt wrote:
Codemss wrote:I especcially like the tutorial on springs and I look forward to the next part. My tutorial about Worms-style stuff was better in my memories :P. But it actually kinda sucks now. (Not that I had another version or something, I just expected that it was better).

Words of wisdom: don't bother asking if there's any interest, just do it. If people aren't interested, they'll tell you afterwards, not beforehand. :D
I think you have a point there. But, honestly I hoped that some people were interested :D.
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I've almost finished a new tutorial for #27. Should I send it in a zip file with the source code or should I throw in the source code into the document?

[edit] Finished. :D
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Mentat wrote:I've almost finished a new tutorial for #27. Should I send it in a zip file with the source code or should I throw in the source code into the document?

[edit] Finished. :D
It's up to you... usually if it's just a short bit of source code (half a page or so), I would say put it right in the document... If it's a huge section of code, you should include it as a separate .bas file. Nobody is going to want to read 3+ pages of uncommented source code.
DaveUnit
Veteran

Post by DaveUnit »

nice issue, Pete. It's been awhile. Had a few things in it that I had missed through my own searchings.
Nemesis
Coder

Post by Nemesis »

I'm intrested. And an example engine would be nice next time.
Also was kinda puzzled why you need to do all those bit blits?
Maybe for speed? There's better and faster ways to accomplish screen 13 blitting.
relsoft
Coder

Post by relsoft »

Codemss wrote:
Nodtveidt wrote:

I think you have a point there. But, honestly I hoped that some people were interested :D.
I am interested. :*) In fact I have been able to compile your code snippets off your tute (from your site) with FB with no changes using -lang QB.
Hello. :*)
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

The bit stuff was needed to store a large map in an array of 32000 integers. It is a map that uses only one bit instead of eight(so you need to convert them). Like that you're able to expand the limit of the map by 8 times. Then you apply a texture on that. I'm still finding a good manner to draw the edges). They look pretty bad now.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

Here's an example program, if you want to run in interpreter, make offset, p and mul320() long integers!

Loading may take some time...

EDIT: There's a very weird error in the forum, I can't post the code here correctly. I uploaded it to here: http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl/scroll.bas.