QB Express #6 Now Available!

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

QB Express #6 Now Available!

Post by Pete »

<p><strong>QB Express #6 Now Available!</strong> -- Posted by <a href="mailto:pberg1@ithaca.edu">Pete</a> on January 18, 2005<br>
The <a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... l">January issue</a> of QB Express is now up!
<br>
<br>This month, we've got a very informative article on making IF (interactive fiction) by Na_th_an for all you text adventure fans, the second tutorial in abionnnn's series on Path Finding techniques, a little piece on "Rogue Map Storage Techniques" by Nathan1993, and the second tutorial in St?phane Richard's wonderful series on file manipulation -- this time covering Random Access Files. We've also got our first ever FreeBasic tutorial, courtest of Nekrophidius: GUI Programming in FreeBasic. Finally, 19day is back with the second iteration of his non-BASIC but totally awesome series on PHP programming. If you're looking to learn new programming techniques, look no further than this issue of QB Express!
<br>
<br>But that's not all. Rattrapmax6 / Kevin of x.t.r. GRAPHICS contributed big this month, giving us two brand new QB/FB comics starring a horse, as well as providing us with the gallery game of the month: Space Warp. Oz is back with a nice review of the Missing In Space by Crono of ForgedQB. And then we've got a new contributor by the name of Mike Wechsler who wrote an article entitled "Simply Put, Basically: My Interactions with QBasic, a True Story". And then there's the great big news section this issue. Even though there's been about two-and-a-half weeks since the last issue, the QB/FB community has been buzzin' and there's plenty of new stuff going on.
<br>
<br>But I don't want to keep you waiting. There's lots of good stuff to read this month...<a href="http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... x.html">so have at it</a>!</p>
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Courtest? :D

I'll write a tutorial that builds off of the first one for the next QB Express. :)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Damn, I really should proofread before I post this stuff. Now that spelling error is on every QB site around. :)

Oh well.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:wink: Not all, its not on my site. Course AOL will only let me put so much at a time, its full at the moment.. :? I can post it for a while if you like (Just joking :lol: )
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Grap a pirated copy of Microsoft word... lol! :lol:
abionnnn (login broke!)

Post by abionnnn (login broke!) »

Awww, I was looking forward the to bob comic. :( But yet another good issue Pete and everyone else involved!

I was wondering if anyone who has read my tutorial has any feedback about it. Is anyone interested in it's return with A*? (it would probably take a few tutorials to cover it properly) Does the explanation -> implementation paradigm work, or does it create needless haphazardness? Should I use a spell checker? ;) Hehehe.

-abionnnn
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

I would be interessted in a tut on A*
I've never understood it properly :P
I have left this dump.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Yep, a great issue, once again. Youre the man Pete 8)
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

abionnnn (login broke!) wrote:Awww, I was looking forward the to bob comic.

-abionnnn
:roll: What about the horsey 1? :P :) Come on, he blew up a microprossesor! :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Yeah, I was disappointed I didn't receive any Bob comics either. Matt2jones said before issue #5 came out that he was going to make another few issues' worth and send them to me. But that's the last I've heard from him. (I've even sent him two emails, one before each issue. No response. Oh well.

Maybe he'll see this post and then send some in!

The horse comics were good too, though.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:wink: Guess blowing up microprossesor doen's beat blowing off heads. It only took 30min of me time neway, lol. Bob got a paragraph, I got "it was good",.. is what I mean..

no pressure, bing funning! :lol: :wink: :P
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
abionnnn (login broke!)

Sorry Rattrapmax6, I liked your microprocessor comic too... I just wish you didn't base it on a PIC processor grrrr ;)

Z!re, in that case I will make an effort to write a good one for once =)

-abionnnn
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:wink: Dude! it was a Basic Stamp microprocessor, not a OOPIC, OOPIC comes with their own language, lol.. :)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
abionnnn (login broke!)

Assuming it's the original BASIC stamp:

[http://www.parallax.com/images/prod_jpg/27100.jpg]

Look closely at both memory and processor chips. Both are made by Microchip. =) I believe they use a PIC16C56/7. (unless it's a BASIC stamp II made by ubicom). Either way I've never really liked (and rarely used) either of these intrepretter based microcontrollers. Just a matter of taste I suppose. ;)

-abionnnn
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

:wink: ,I didn't blow it up out of hate, just showing what happen when you forget a relay on to convert cercit (not spelling that right,) volts to high motor volts..

besides, if it wasn't 4 the Basic Stamp, I would never b progaming in QB, so I got nothing agenst 'em, :)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I will continue my tutorials on GUI coding in FB for the next QB Express.
Remmy

Play some Interactive Fiction

Post by Remmy »

If you're not familiar with it, you can play interactive fiction in your web browser.

http://ifiction.org/

Or my attempt:

http://remmy.cjb.net/game/z-machine/
http://remmy.cjb.net/game/z-machine/dragon/