Serial Port Input

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!
vanwa

Serial Port Input

Post by vanwa »

Hi,
I am new to this board and I am not a very experienced Basic programmer.
I am trying to read and count a pulse train from the serial port. The code looks like this:
INPUT "ENTER PULSE COUNT"; P%
PIN = &H3F8: REM COM1 PORT ADDRESS
DO
IN1=-((INP(PIN + 6) AND 128) = 128): REM READ INPUT PIN 1
IF IN1 = 1 THEN NR =1 ELSE NR=0
NR=NR+1
LOOP UNTIL NR = P%
It does not work. Is this because the pulse train is to fast? The pulses have a period of 0.15ms which is 5kHz and and are 12V, or is the programming wrong?
Any suggestins will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

The NR variable will never reach more then two becuase this line:
IF IN1 = 1 THEN NR = 1 ELSE NR = 0
Sets NR to 0 or 1. So the maximal value of NR at the end of the loop is two (1 from the IF statement and one because you added one after that with NR = NR + 1)

What always helps is looking at your program and write what it actually does. Like this:
IF IN1 = 1 THEN NR = 1 ELSE NR = 0
Sets NR to one if IN1 is one, else NR is set to zero.
NR = NR + 1
Increases NR by one.
It's also a good tip to check what values you expect from variables at certain moments and what values they actually have at that moment(try making a breakpoint with F9 when you're in QBasic). When variables have the value you expect at one moment, but a value that is too high or too low, then the bug is probably between this two lines of code.

BTW, it's still possible that there are more small bugs, but I don't know much about that ports etc. I wonder what are you trying to do?

EDIT: I see that you use different types of variables also. Try to make the most variables of one type. I prefer integers, they can only hold integer numbers but are very fast.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL
burger2227
Veteran

COM PORTS

Post by burger2227 »

COM ports read data, not usually pulses. Do you have an OPEN COM statement? QB can open only COM 1 or 2. Did you find the address from Windows Devices first? A COM port is capable of speeds up to 11,500 bytes per second on the data transmit and receive lines.

You seem to be using the Modem Status Register &H03FE or base address + 6. The pin you are sending the pulse to is CD or carrier detect. The bit is 7 so AND 128 should indicate if it is high or low. So you are close!

Code: Select all

DEFINT A-Z    'use integers only
DO
    IF (INP(&H3FE) AND 128) THEN    'brackets required 
       count = count + 1
       DO: LOOP UNTIL (INP(&H3FE) AND 128) = 0
    END IF
LOOP UNTIL count = P
I have not tested this. I hope it helps. The COM port may have to be opened first. Be careful as devices and voltages can destroy ports. You will also need a common ground to your pulse circuit from the port. A 9 pin connector uses pin 5 and a 25 pin uses pin 1 for ground.

Ted
Please acknowledge and thank members who answer your questions!
QB64 is a FREE QBasic compiler for WIN, MAC(OSX) and LINUX : https://www.qb64.org/forum/index.php
Get my Q-Basics demonstrator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdmgp91d6h8ps ... s.zip?dl=0
vanwa

It works!!

Post by vanwa »

Thanks to Burger2227 and Codemss. Your suggestions were essential.
I re-wrote the code and it works:

DO
IF -((INP(&3HFE) AND 128) = 128 THEN
CT=CT+1
DO
LOOP UNTIL -((INP(&H3FE) AND 128) = 0
END IF
LOOP UNTIL CT = L

My project is a wire cutting machine. A DC motor with an optical encoder output measures the wire and a cutter device cuts the wire. I am entering the wire length and wire count. There is only one input (encoder) and two outputs, for motor run/stop and a cutting solenoid. The encoder output is 5000 pulses a second, pretty fast.