XP Network Slooooowdown.

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

edsheridan

XP Network Slooooowdown.

Post by edsheridan »

I have a pretty big QB45 program that we run in the qbasic editor on about 4 different computer all hooked to a windows 2003 server. Everything works fine until we try to run the program on a window xp pro workstation. (Most workstations are window 98SE). As soon at you start the QB45 editor enviroment in XP it starts writing it's file really sloooow across the network...which end up bogging up the whole network by leaving shared files open too long.

Anyone experienced this? We need XP for some of our newer stuff so I'd like to stop trashpicking 98 computers, but so far our best solution has been KVM switches. I'd also like to run the QB45 editor in a window, but it seems like as soon as the program starts in XP, it jumps to fullscreen and then stays that way...

Any thoughts?
Besides PB or Freebasic?

Thanks,
Ed
Codemss
Veteran

Post by Codemss »

You can use Alt-enter to switch fullscreen/windowed mode. If that doesn't work, (I can only run qb windowed in text mode on my XP computer), maybe ehm, I don't know, because I never used one, but would a DOS emulator work?

You use QB to acces a network or something, if I understand you well. Is the problem that the network acces is slow, or the whole program? And does your program uses a graphical mode(screen 1-13) or texmode(screen 0). Consider using a textmode if you don't have important graphics. It is simpeler and faster, and you can run it windowed.
Check out my site: <a href="http://members.lycos.nl/rubynl">Click here</a>
Hope you like it. Send some feedback if you want: <a href="mailto:basicallybest@live.nl">Mail me</a>
Codemss, before known as RubyNL
edsheridan

Post by edsheridan »

The program does start in a window, but as soon as I leave the text mode (I do need the graphics), it goes to fullscreen and stays that way.

The program itself runs at normal speed, it's just everything else on the computer slow way down. When I write a file across the network (from quickbasic or even through the XP desktop), the file transfers really slowly, which leaves it open longer than it should...which ends up locking everyone else out of those files.

Everything seems to be working fine to the user of the XP machine...it's everyone else that runs into trouble!

Thanks for the ideas,
Ed
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

When you have qb open try pressing ctrl + alt + del and go into the Performance tab, chances are that its probably running at 100% and if you go into Processes you will probably find that cmd.exe is doing that. This because windows is emulating DOS and does a poor job of it. I would suggest using DOSBox, or using win 98 in something like MS Virtual PC.