2nd Programming Competition Thread

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Here are the left over options for the game programming competition:

Poll ended at Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Scrolling Shooter with RPG elements.
17%
Srolling Shooter OR RPG.
8%
Scrolling Shooter.
25%
RPG.
50%

Total votes: 12

k7
Coder

2nd Programming Competition Thread

Post by k7 »

Well we have a tie between Scrolling Shooter and RPG so I decided to run another poll.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I would prefer a RPG becuase just about anything can be added. Although, they must be Finished RPGs to win.
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Austin
Coder

Post by Austin »

I agree. Comedy RPG would be fun to make :].
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Anybody interested in a wireframe demo? I'm about to finish.
A RPG with a 3d element would be cool, but that might take forever.
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Any BASIC deriative can be used as long as it can compile to .exe.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I'm finished. Unfortuantely, everything moves with respect to the upper left corner. But it's cool.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I think the problem with this initiative of yours is that it appears quite unoriginal and uninspired. With mere ?make me a RPG? compo you won't get far, unless you present it well and offer a noteworthy award.

I recommend constructing a more narrow theme that will motivate/intrigue the people do participate. Like I said in another thread, it could be a mouse only controlled action game. Or an SF-themed RPG. Or a game featuring community members as characters. You got the jit.

And please let the compo, no matter what kind it ends up being, to last at least a month.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I see your point about adding specifications to RPG competitions. But, RPGs should be about fun and creativity. Playing the same kind would get boring after the second or third. And as for a reward, winning a comp is good enough for me. :D
Id do agree with the time limit. Finished RPGs should take quite a while, maybe with benchmarks along the way for tabs.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

There are too many RPGs. No one ever does a shooter compo anymore unless it's on shmups.com.
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Lachie, you are obviously not aware (and no one else as I didn't find it necessary to point out) that this won't be the last poll for the competition. As I've said before this comp won't be rushed to start and finish. After this poll, I will probably start another poll/thread to decide the theme of the competition. Ideas can start now, although the genre isn't decided yet, all theme ideas welcome.

A poll for the judging system going to be used can be ran while the comp is in progress.

As of yet, there is no prize on offer. One might come about later on, but honestly I have nothing to offer apart from congrats!

Personaly I was hoping for Scrolling Shooter with RPG elements to win casue :wink: cause I think the projects could be quite original.
Austin
Coder

Post by Austin »

2D Mario Style Game would be fun. Sort just try to get to the end of the track with various puzzles and monsters in your way.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Is this QB or FB? Couldn't we have a 3d (sorry Austin) RPG? I mean, talk to friendly cubes, kill man-eating ovals, and save the castle? This is just an idea.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Well, I guess an RPG would be okay...would give me a chance to put my new RPG engine idea to the test.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Whay are there all these tutorials on RPG scrolling engines if all that is needed is for the graphics to be located with a relative+absolute coordinate? Then again, I never made an actual scrolling engine nor a RPG. :D
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

There's way more to a scrolling engine than just throwing pixels on the screen. You have to understand concepts such as tiling, Z-order, memory allocation, and handling input. Also, if you want to make an RPG, chances are exceptionally high that you're also going to need to know how do do dialog functions and menus, although these aren't specifically scroller-related.
Austin
Coder

Post by Austin »

If we do 3d, maybe I could try faking 3d with with small .bmp images in OpenGL. But someone needs to get a comp started quick!
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Austin, I made a wireframe engine you can use. It only works with a cube, but you'll get the gist :) . Unfortunately, I can't upload it.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I have accumulated quite a few programs to upload, but each time I check, it doesn't work. I also have a hard text-strategy game.
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

3D RPG's (it looks like RPG will win) will certainly be allowed but won't be the theme. The comp will be something like this:
An RPG comp; all games must be made in a BASIC dialect; one month to complete projects; text, ASCII, 2D or 3D; must be based around [a character lost in a scientific research nature park].

Additional rules are needed. PM me if you have a different theme idea. Ortise Forum will be the forum for the competition discussion.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Oh great. Another Jarasic Park. :D