Who'd be interested in a comp?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Would you be interested in a FB programming competition?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:18 am

No
No votes
A RPG comp
36%
A text-adventure comp
18%
A birds-eye shooter comp
No votes
A scrolling shooter comp
27%
A puzzle comp
9%
Some other sort of comp?
9%

Total votes: 11

k7
Coder

Who'd be interested in a comp?

Post by k7 »

Competition poll.
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

I like the side-scrolling shooter or over-head shooter ideas.
Austin
Coder

Post by Austin »

My vote is on Text Adventure :)!
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

So all the people that voted would enter a comp of such type? I might run a similar poll on other FB forums to see their response.
Stoves
Veteran

Post by Stoves »

Heck yes I would. I'd enter regardless of what the program category ended up being.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

I like strategy and puzzel games, but I have trouble with making some types of AI. I made one decent AI game, though. I guess I'm more math oriented.
Austin
Coder

Post by Austin »

I would defiantly enter the comp! I don't have all that much experience making a graphical game, but this would be a great learning opportunity.

Please get this started!
Austin
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Well I won't be rushing to start the comp. I'd like a lot more votes first, what would be the most popular FB forum to post the poll on? Should the comp be for QB as well as FB?
Mentat
Veteran

AI TTT

Post by Mentat »

I have an idea. Why not make programs compete eachother in something like Tic Tac Toe? There will have to be standards so the programs are compatible, but it would be easier to figure what are the best.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Since I don't program in FreeBasic, but PDS, I won't enter, but I would like to see a program which is a puzzle/adventure game, which you can run in text or graphic mode.
Amaze me!
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Well I ran the poll on freebasic.net forums and all the responses were shit and pointless so I'll just use this forum's responses. Judges and hosting are things to consider. I was thinking of using Pete and other QB/FB celebrities to rate the games as well as voting by forum polling, 50/50.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Well I ran the poll on freebasic.net forums and all the responses were shit and pointless so I'll just use this forum's responses.
Oh, aren't you special.

First of all, you didn't ran a poll there, thanks to your wast intelligence. Second of all, your post and responses were shit and pointless.

Oh, and good luck with this.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
k7
Coder

Post by k7 »

Yes Dean, all the responses were shit and pointless that's why I'm not going to bother with that thread anymore. And what the hell is wast? Is that meant to be vast or waste? Either way it doesn't make a lot of sense. The thread on that site was intended to be a poll but not many were really interested in entering one any way.

And I don't think this needs to be argued any further as it's not getting us any where. :)
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I meant vast. That's what I get for doubting someone's intelligence and not using a spell checker.

My point was, your original post and the whole attitude ?I don't care what you think, just name one of the options? might have been the reason for such...shitty response. Perhaps if you listened to people more, changed the post to poll when warned you can do it, you would have been treated different and got the feedback you looked for.

I'll comment what I don't line about your compo to in another thread.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff