Can you protect BSaved Graphic files with LIB or LINK??

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

michealey
Coder

Can you protect BSaved Graphic files with LIB or LINK??

Post by michealey »

-- RePosted from the General Discussion forum -- Posted to General by mistake...

Hi Guys,

I have been seriously studying QBasic/QuickBasic for more than a year now, I am in the process of writing some programs and I wondered how other folks are protecting\hiding BSAVED graphic files which go along with the program that will be distributed.

In particular, can you 'link' or otherwise hide these files into the main program or compile them into a group or something?? (Rather than just supplying them along with the main EXE file and wrapping it all up in a ZIP.)

While I understand basically what BC and LINK does with a single source *.BAS file, I am pretty fuzzing when it comes to using and making libraries or incorporating multi-modules, etc. I am trying to learn more with the books, but the subject is not very well covered in some of the ones I have...

Any help on any of the above very kindly appreciated.

Sinerely

Mic
OPRESION
Veteran

Post by OPRESION »

IF you do not give your source codes THEN you have good probabilities protecting your graphics. When a source it is already compiled, it is converted to executable; the *.Lib and *.Qlb files are executables. There are programs to convert the executables to assembly code but to understand the produced sources you would need to be a good expert in the assembly codes to enderstand them. Also can be found programs to convert executables to the quickbasics source but they are very difficult to understand because the produced code it's confused.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

You could always encrypt your files, that would stop the armchair hacker wanabes. A truly dedicated reverse engineering expert will crack whatever encryption method you use no matter what you do.

You can attach files to the end of the EXE but it's not a trivial process. Also, you can just include the images as DATA to be READ.