Gaming gold awards?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

{Nathan}
Veteran

Gaming gold awards?

Post by {Nathan} »

They were supposed to start the polls on December 23. Hehe... everyones late around the xmas season!
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Yeah, it's a little late, but it seems like most everyone forgot about it anyways. Let's face it...interest in QB has declined over the past few years...but with FB emerging now, there's going to be a whole new generation of coding fanatics about. Starting now in January, V Planet will be migrated to a QB/FB split site, and eventually, the QB side will likely be archived and no longer updated since there are so few active QB programmers anymore and almost no new announced game projects...

Have no fear though, GGA2004 will complete as planned, it's just a little behind schedule. :D
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

OK
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Nekrophidius wrote:...the QB side will likely be archived and no longer updated since there are so few active QB programmers anymore and almost no new announced game projects...
Sad but true. I just find qb again but seems like it?s dying. Well, i have also problems with those limits of qb and im considering to move on c++, fb or some other language.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Unfortunately, the server V Planet is hosted on had a RAID controller failure and went down for quite awhile. We ended up losing a bunch of data from other accounts as well, including my entire FreeBASIC page. Fortunately, everything is stored locally, so when everything's fixed on the server, I'll be able to do manual restoration.

Anyways, QB has been "dead" for quite a long time...no one's doing serious projects anymore, and most QB coders are using other things now but just hang around for the community aspect.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Well, i re-thinked about this qb dying thing. Somehow i believe that as long peoples makes ascii games, qb wont die. There is some thing?s on qb that im gona use, not many but still something. So kind of, it?s not really dead? Well, this is what i wana believe.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

QB will only die if ppl let it die. :roll: If it's really such a sad thing, then y don't we look for things to restore interest?? :idea: Lets say, "If someone can make a brillant game in QB there're one heck of a programer!" We can move on to C++, VB 6.0, or FB,.. and keep QB as a once in a while test of programming flexability.. And look at nintendo, their bringing back some of the classics style games. So, they must see somthing in them, and what better way to make a classic style game than with QB?? :wink: We can hold "Classic Style Game Challenges!" under the honorment I quoted above, "..one heck of a programmer!"
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Post by Guest »

Yah, you sayd words of wisdom mate :wink:

I have thinked and thinked and thinked and....ok easyer way -> Do Loop :lol:

So let?s not allow qb to die. Easyest way is to make games and programs. :wink:

Post by Guest »

It was me lurah. My cookies sucks etc. :twisted:
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

"Words of wisdom" ? Wow,. thanks. :roll: Yeah, if ppl still use it, it wont die, or it can't.. It has already gone further and done more than it was suppose to do. Look at the demos Microsoft sent with QB 1.1 (Gorilias and Nibbles) and compare them to wetspot2. We have created games that the makers of the compiler didn't even think of. We even do SoundBlaster in QB.. we have did so much, and I'm sure we loved making it what it wasn't, to just let it die.

And I find programing with it just as fun as hanging a sidewinder in my Jeep (In big open space, Do not try yourself!) That's got to say something.. :wink: So keep QB going!
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

QB itself presents more and more problems with each release of a Windows major version or patch. The reference to Nintendo is cute, but a more accurate correlation would be if they still coded games for the NES. :D Sure, they rehash old game designs, but they do it on their current hardware, not their old hardware that only a collector owns nowadays. The same goes for QB...only other QB programmers will play a QB game. FB will let virtually all game players out there play your game. :)
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Aye,. this is the reply I'd thought I'd get. I said not to keep QB are main source, but just to keep it alive.. Everyone seems to refer to the language dieing as sad. Yeah I'll program with FB, altho I wont release ne thing till I can nail RelSoft in graphics, High hopes, but I don't use x.t.r.GRAPHICS for nothing.. But, if it so sad for QB to be dieing, then don't let it die..

Besides, its still very useful in robotics (along with BasicStamp and BasicX) so even if it dies game wise, it still will probaly be use in small robotics.. so it totaly dieing is faulse any time soon.. And you still got to think.. right now, it easier 4 ppl 2 learn QB right now than FB, although the same,. their are no 600+ tutorials for FB for begainer to advance.

:roll: Waiting for the interesting replies on this one, he he :!:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Most of what you do in QB you can also do in FB. Exceptions exist of course, but a great deal of vanilla QB code will compile unmodified in FB.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I'm waiting for the day when FB is 100% QB compatible, including support for all quicklibraries.... so that ANY program ever coded in QB can be compiled in FB. Then people will still be free to program in QB if they so choose, but other people (besides a few dozen QBers) will be able to try their programs too.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

FB will never be 100% QB compatible. It's not possible. Your only hope is to make some kind of translation utility.

Besides...when FIDO is released, most people will drop the old QB IDE anyways. :lol:
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

FIDO? Whats that?
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

I don't know if its my ide, but I tried compiling Robo Raider with it, and it went flat. After I finish Space Warp, yeah I'm going to look in to FB a little more. RelSoft has got me interested in its graphics power none the less, I've seen near PSX & PSone quality games in QB, Looking at FB, I've alreading seen samples of PS2 quality. :roll: Gran Turismo 3 clones ne 1?? he he..

Looking at FB, I might go for Racing games,. Maybe redo Robo Raider & make Robo Raider II with it.. (Forget u heard about the second if you havn't defeated the first yet, lol)..

Note that I mean quality by texture mapping, or ability thru resolution.. :wink:
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)