Suddenly very slow to open files!!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

thammel

Suddenly very slow to open files!!

Post by thammel »

Hi,

I'm a long time QB user at work - an engineer, of course. Suddenly I"m having a very slow response when I do my FO - it takes about a minute to display the directory structure and since I'm about 4 layers down it takes about 4 minutes or so to open the code. This is very annoying! We're using WIN XP and I'm wondering if the auto upgrades through the network are the problem, although another guy here is not having this problem. I've asked the IP person but she's just a "kid" and has no idea about QB. Has anyone experienced anything like this and have a solution?

Thanks!
Tom
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Re: Suddenly very slow to open files!!

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Windows XP is your problem. QBASIC and Windows XP don't mix. You have either one of two solutions. a) Use pure DOS or b) Use a different compiler than QBASIC. Most people on the forum will point you to FreeBASIC.

Moderators: Wrong forum.
moneo
Veteran

Re: Suddenly very slow to open files!!

Post by moneo »

thammel wrote:Hi,

I'm a long time QB user at work - an engineer, of course. Suddenly I"m having a very slow response when I do my FO - it takes about a minute to display the directory structure and since I'm about 4 layers down it takes about 4 minutes or so to open the code. This is very annoying! We're using WIN XP and I'm wondering if the auto upgrades through the network are the problem, although another guy here is not having this problem. I've asked the IP person but she's just a "kid" and has no idea about QB. Has anyone experienced anything like this and have a solution?

Thanks!
Tom
Tom, being an engineer, it seems like you've developed your own terms.
* What is FO? Is this something within a QB program?
* What do you mean by "display the directory structure"? Again is this within QB?
* What do you mean by "I'm about 4 layers down"?

I've been using XP for at least 2 years. I do a lot of QB stuff. I've had a few annoying problems, but they're mostly with DOS commands, batch files, and doing SHELL from QB. Nothing critical, just slightly annoying. Then again, I NEVER allow any automatic updates to XP. What for, it's working just fine.

Answer my questions above, and I'll try to help you.

{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

1 word: DOSbox. A DOS emulator for windows, linux, and mac. Try googling it.
thammel

Thanks for all the replies!

Post by thammel »

Sorry - but I thought my terms were obvious - ok here goes. First, I'm using QuickBasic 4.5, and have not had any problems when using it on my WinXP based PC. Something changed recently and I"m trying to figure out what..

By FO, I mean wheh you hit the alt key followed by Files, then Open. This is the normal Quickbasic thing you do when you are trying to locate your program on the hard drive. By display the directory structure, this is what QuickBasic does after you do the above in trying to loacte your code on the hard dirve, or whever you're trying to locate it. By "4 layers down" I simply mean that my hard drive directory (or folder) structure is such that my code is located about 4 subfolders down from the root directory. I wish I could prevent the auto updates at work. This is something that the IT department is mandating. I agree - I wish it weren't the case.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Tom, being an engineer, it seems like you've developed your own terms.
* What is FO? Is this something within a QB program?
* What do you mean by "display the directory structure"? Again is this within QB?
* What do you mean by "I'm about 4 layers down"?

I've been using XP for at least 2 years. I do a lot of QB stuff. I've had a few annoying problems, but they're mostly with DOS commands, batch files, and doing SHELL from QB. Nothing critical, just slightly annoying. Then again, I NEVER allow any automatic updates to XP. What for, it's working just fine.

Answer my questions above, and I'll try to help you.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

As an angineer you should be aware that a 16bit 20 year old piece of software is not an optimal solution for coding on an up-to-date version of windows XP. But as an engineer I'm sure you already knew that. Right?
Lets face it mr engineer, nobody uses DOS anymore, and you using QBASIC is not to efficient, but as an engineer you already knew right?
As already pointed out use FreeBASIC instead.
Hope this helps mr engineer.

I have no idea what "the IP person" is, Internet Protocol person? What?

Now, if you'll excuse me i have to FL the CC with a dual GT or TE under the TH with YU or GH, MN, BN, OR, QE. Maybe you can help thammel? Do you know how I insert the WG at TY or JK?
I have left this dump.
thammel

Can anyone help?

Post by thammel »

Gee whiz, I'm just looking for some help. I realize that QuickBasic is an old tool and part of this stems from the fact that I'm an old engineer!!! (56 now) The problem is that I've got many large programs that have been developed over the years and it would be very inefficient to have to re-program these into other languages. They work fine and do the job. The pain of it is when external things like the OS mess up operation. I'll look into all the suggestions you guys have made to see if I can get around this. My current code is a multi module code with maybe 25 subprograms. Do you think FreeBasic would handle it? I have no knowledge of FreeBasic and will look into it.

Thanks,
Tom
Z!re
Veteran

Re: Can anyone help?

Post by Z!re »

thammel wrote:Gee whiz, I'm just looking for some help. I realize that QuickBasic is an old tool and part of this stems from the fact that I'm an old engineer!!! (56 now) The problem is that I've got many large programs that have been developed over the years and it would be very inefficient to have to re-program these into other languages. They work fine and do the job. The pain of it is when external things like the OS mess up operation. I'll look into all the suggestions you guys have made to see if I can get around this. My current code is a multi module code with maybe 25 subprograms. Do you think FreeBasic would handle it? I have no knowledge of FreeBasic and will look into it.

Thanks,
Tom
If you can compile it in QBASIC then you can compile it in FreeBASIC (With regards to code size) keep in mind that old archaic commands and QBASIC hacks wont work.

In any case, I just dont like people who slap their titles around like it means something.

Signed,
J. "Z!re" Pihl
Cofounder and CEO or APIServers.com
Lead designer of FieldView
Computer technician
I have left this dump.
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Thammel,

I'm kinda lost now regarding your problem. Don't let the guys kid you about being an engineer. I've worked with many sharp engineers. I have found that basically they don't like to program --- it's really not their bag. They only program to solve some given problem, so they can get back to their engineering functions.

I hardly ever use Qbasic, or what you call QuickBasic. This has an environment or an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). I never use that because, being an oldtimer, I like to do things my way. I code using a plain old editor and then compile with the QuickBasic 4.5 BC compiler. So, that's why I didn't understand your FO and other terminology. Sorry.

Why can't you just put your program source code into the default directory? If that doesn't work, then put it where the QB.EXE and related stuff is?

Could be that the FO and other stuff is not working quite well under XP. Try both my suggestions above, and use the one that works more to your satisfaction.

Keep us posted.

Regards..... Moneo
If you are ahead of me, lead.
If you are behind me, follow.
If you are not doing anything,
Get out of the way.
relsoft
Coder

Post by relsoft »

It's a QB4.5 directory search problem. It searches for drives everytime you open a file. And when it gets to 3 and 1/2 floppy, things get slow because of mechanical reasons.

Plasma made a patch that fixes that prob.

http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=162
Hello. :*)
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

[sarcasm]Isn't Z!re lovely?[/sarcasm]

Signed,
Dean Janjic,
Founder of nothing
Owner of nothing
Nobody

Right. The signature doesn't really make sense.

Leave me alone.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Zim
Veteran

Post by Zim »

I'm sorry, I just can't resist.

Engineers are typically looking for numerical results to calculations. At least, that's what they were looking for when I left the field.

As I've said before, I've written LOTS of code in BASIC (specifically GW-BASIC and QuickBASIC v 3.0) and all, ALL, still works in Win 98/ME/2000/XP. That's because between none and very little of it does anything graphical.

Engineers are too busy trying to reduce overhead and compete with someone else's bottom line to have huge amounts of their company resources devoted to re-fitting departments with the latest and best software and hardware for each and every day- to-day task that's performed in trying to keep a client supplied with his best solution. Obviously, some hard/software needs to be updated, and regularly. You're going to need to move to the latest version of Office/AutoCAD/Intergraph or whatever to mainitain compatibility with government clients and their standards.

But tons of work is done in day-to-day computations. And tons of that has been worked out during the dawn of electronic computation in the typical engineering office during the 1980's. An awful lot of that "old junk" is still very useful and necessary to the typical department doing their task efficiently. My old firm still uses the coordinate geometry software I wrote and finished in about 1995. It does what they need done, and nothing can do it faster or better.

Of course, no one is going to start out new with a 286 and DOS, but they don't have to. If you have the old code, and it works, why switch for the sake of switching? If you can fine something better/faster/cheaper, then go for it.

--Zim (old engineering tech, age ... I forget)
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---