2d arrays

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Anonymous

2d arrays

Post by Anonymous »

if i have an array like this

inside a file, how would i write to the file and replace the 5 with a 6?

ive tried everything with the open for output as #1bla bla bla
write #1, yada yada

but i just rewrites the file and i cant replace anything
Quibbler
Coder

Post by Quibbler »

1. Read the numbers into a matrix "2D array".
2. Change the number that is wrong
3. Write the numbers back into the same file.

open.....for input
for i=1 to 3
input#1, M(i,1),M(i,2),M(i,3)
next i
close #1
M(2,2)=3
open...for output
for i=...
write ....
etc...etc
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

so if i have 10 arrays, each 40x40, i have to write to each file every time? thats 1600 numbers!!!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

what i want it to do is edit a 40x40 array so i can just change the number in the array, not have to rewritw the entire thing every time
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

mar_angry wrote:what i want it to do is edit a 40x40 array so i can just change the number in the array, not have to rewritw the entire thing every time
You can use binary and write data to only the position you want.

Code: Select all

open xx for binary as #f
put #f, offset, data
I have left this dump.
Quibbler
Coder

Post by Quibbler »

Yes you could use a binary/random access file, but this is much more tricky, and you seem to be having trouble with the sequential files.

1600 numbers are nothing to a computer and your numbers are short integers as well.

Short answer is don't be afraid of over-taxing your computer. You are, I presume, going to have to read in the array anyway to do what ever it is you want to do with a 40x40 matrix.

Maybe you would be better using a text editor rather than qbasic for this problem.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

yeah with the 1600 numbers, is that i dont want to re write them personally. And if i write and algorithm that does it for me, the map will be too symmetrical or too random (ie the map wont be the design i want it to be)