w00t! Back up!!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

marinedalek
Coder

w00t! Back up!!

Post by marinedalek »

Thank god you keep backups, Pete!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

yup! check out the 600 tutors.h
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Woho!

Raise your hand fo Pete! :lol:
I have left this dump.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Yep. Now to find the bastard that hacked the site in the first place...

Post by Guest »

3, no 4 posts in 1 hour. wow, that was fast.

you must be really popular pete!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

dangit... my computor never logs me in.

wow... 5 posts in like ha;f an hour.
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Wooooohoooooo....thank god..I was getting worried :-).....too bad I ain't hosting your website :-).....I'd send you the damn server logs if I had ta lol....

I got a website hacked too ... I know the feeling....but I hate to be the one to tell you "I told you so" but somebody else did tell you so...in the "update the forum Pete" thread...or something like it ;-).
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
wildcard

Post by wildcard »

That sucks to hear that the site was hacked. But its really cool to see it was fixed really quickly, well done in having up todate backups. QBnews' forum was hacked a few years back and I didn't have recent backups, I do keep them regular since then. Although real "hackers" wouldn't do crap like this/that.

Post by Guest »

If you go to http://slashdot.org there is an article on what might have happend to this site, the article is entitled "Net Worm Uses Google to Spread".
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

google huh? well damn...like no one goes there...lol

that's it...I'm gonna limit myself to myharddisk.com for searching...(don't click, it's not a website ;-). well maybe but it's not what I meant..oh firget it...lol

Yahoo anyone? ;-)

Note To Self: "From now on, just say me too...like some brain dead AOLer" lol
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
aetherFox

Post by aetherFox »

Good to see you are back on your feet now Pete.

I have a very very big suggestion for you:

Most people use phpBB for some strange reason, when the most secure forum is IPB. The newer versions of that are much more secure, and I find that they are also much better forums.

You should also see if your server has some logs. CPanel has a link on it to view server logs, you could check those out if you have them. Alternatively, contact the hosting company and complain that you got hacked. They will, rather should, cooperate with you, because it's not good publicity for a hosting server to get hacked.

My deepest sympathies as someone who has had his fair share of hacked sites.
marinedalek
Coder

Post by marinedalek »

aetherFox wrote:Most people use phpBB for some strange reason, when the most secure forum is IPB. The newer versions of that are much more secure, and I find that they are also much better forums.
The reason I stick with phpBB is it has a much friendlier feel when you visit the dev site, rather than IPB's corporate image. Also the phpBB authors came up with a patch for this worm before it was released - the worm came about because someone leaked the details that allowed the previous versions to be hacked.
Also, I expect phpBB with seem a whole lot more attractive when the long-awaited 2.2 version comes out. (sometime shortly after christmas, I would say).
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Whoa... i didnt know this site was hacked again... probably because I was busy playing Tony Hawks Underground all day the time it got hacked... lol :evil:
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I'm more concerned with the features and layout of the forum than the security, and as far as I'm concerned, PHPBB is the best. I'm not going to sacrifice integrated content features and ease of use for greater security.

Plus, PHPBB has a greater userbase so security fixes will come out a lot faster than with less popular platforms.
XMark

Post by XMark »

Well, I hate to say I told you so but... nah, I like saying that :)