New hardware...

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Valerie

New hardware...

Post by Valerie »

Win XP Home

Am considering buying new hardware but don't know if there are any restrictions on the use of QB with up-to-date processors and/or chipsets. Are there any problems which could arise please?

V...
________
ipod games
Last edited by Valerie on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Besides USB, Firewire, newer audio, and enhanced optical abilities (ex. CD-Burning), I have never had problems with QB. Of course, none of these have to do with my processor or chipset, so you should be fine ;-)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

If you do have an issue, use DosBOX: the best DOS emulator ever (next to FreeDOS, but that's an OS by iteself).
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Thank you both..

V...
________
BMW H2R history
Last edited by Valerie on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Nathan1993 wrote:If you do have an issue, use DosBOX: the best DOS emulator ever (next to FreeDOS, but that's an OS by iteself).
You've got the capitalization backwards; it's "DOSBox". :P
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Nathan1993 wrote:If you do have an issue, use DosBOX: the best DOS emulator ever (next to FreeDOS, but that's an OS by iteself).
It's also a fairly slow emulator. Perhaps MS Virtual PC(now free) running an actual copy of DOS would be better?

P.S. DOSBox is not an Emulator unless you're running on AMD processors. It is a Virtual Machine if you're using an Intel processor.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I have an AMD processor, so it is an emulator to me. :lol:
Veteran

Nathan1993 wrote:I have an AMD processor, so it is an emulator to me. :lol:
LONG LIVE THE SEMPRONZ!!!!!!!!!1111oneone11onehunderedeleven!!11
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Guest wrote:P.S. DOSBox is not an Emulator unless you're running on AMD processors. It is a Virtual Machine if you're using an Intel processor.
Huh?
DOSBox Information wrote:DOSBox is a DOS-emulator ...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 ...
DOSBox is an emulator, regardless of who made your CPU.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:
I have a sempron, and I love it. Powerful, 1.8 ghz, cool, and it was only $120USD. Much better than my laptop's 600mhz, my other PC's 500mhz, and my old laptop's 133mhz.
Veteran

Nathan1993 wrote:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:
I have a sempron, and I love it. Powerful, 1.8 ghz, cool, and it was only $120USD. Much better than my laptop's 600mhz, my other PC's 500mhz, and my old laptop's 133mhz.
Wow... I have an old Pentium @ 120MHZ lying around, but no mobo for it :-P

With prices changing all the time, even an AMD Sempron 64 3400+ (2.0GHZ) is going off for $75USD. Too bad I'm broke...

Nathan: Try overclocking it. You'd get a nice boost in speed, even if you overclock it a little. I have a Duron running at 1937MHZ (almost 2GHZ) and it runs Slackware 10.2 and KDE super fast. The only thing slowing it down is my 5400RPM hard drive... :-( Plus, even when it's overclocked and the multipliers are factored in, it still only runs at 292MHZ FSB. The Semprons (unoverclocked) default to 1600MHZ FSB. So, to put it shortly, Socket A (462) is teh sux0rz!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

How did you overclock yours? Do you have a tutorial / website for it? I want to overclock it as it has a great fan and vents, (it's case is OPEN most of the time, :lol: ) so it would work. What do you think would be a safe speed to clock it to?

Sorry for all the questions, I feel like a noob... but... I kinda am in this situation.
Veteran

Post by Guest »

DrV wrote:
Guest wrote:P.S. DOSBox is not an Emulator unless you're running on AMD processors. It is a Virtual Machine if you're using an Intel processor.
Huh?

An emulator is only an emulator if it is running on a different architecture than the host machine. Otherwise it is a virtual machine.

How did you overclock yours? Do you have a tutorial / website for it? I want to overclock it as it has a great fan and vents, (it's case is OPEN most of the time, ) so it would work. What do you think would be a safe speed to clock it to?
Either your BIOS supports it or you mess with jumpers on your motherboard.
Veteran

Guest wrote:
DrV wrote:
Huh?

An emulator is only an emulator if it is running on a different architecture than the host machine. Otherwise it is a virtual machine.
AMD processors are still the x86 architecture, just like Intels. Therefore, it is an emulator all the way around.

Nathan - (just a quick summary) Usually it depends on your motherboard. Mine was easy to do because mine has settings in the BIOS that support it. There is a few tools to test safe speeds to overclock to. Try googling "overclocking tools" or download the Ultimate Boot CD. You also may need to unlock your processor to get higher speeds. This is done by connecting bridges on your processor with a #3 pencil... Simple, but it works.

Don't take my word for it though. Go to the forums at http://www.overclock.net and ask how. Be sure to have your motherboard make and model, processor make and model, and RAM speeds. (ex PC3200 = 400MHZ)
Veteran

Post by Guest »

You mean Virtual Machine all way round...

I didn't know AMDs ran on x86. I assumed that because Unix distorbutions have AMD ports and IA-32 ports the architectures are completely different.
Veteran

Guest wrote:You mean Virtual Machine all way round...

I didn't know AMDs ran on x86. I assumed that because Unix distorbutions have AMD ports and IA-32 ports the architectures are completely different.
It emulates a 286 CPU...