Should I change the name of this site...

Latest news from this site.

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Pete
Site Admin

Should I change the name of this site...

Post by Pete »

To "Pete's QBasic / QuickBasic / FreeBasic Site" ?

Or something else? (How about "fReEbAsIc LaNd!!!1")

I want to make it clear that this is a FB site as well as a QB site (especially for the search engines). It makes sense, since I've got more FB content on here than pretty much any other dedicated FB site, thanks to all the QB Express articles.
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

well i am truely biased...qbasic is what i like...

if you splatter alot of "freebasic" over the site
would the search engine catch enough of that
rather then changing the name of the site?
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

(The whole "Freebasic Land!!!!111" thing was a joke.)
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Pete's *BASIC Site! :P
I have left this dump.
rdc
Coder

Post by rdc »

Z!re wrote:Pete's *BASIC Site! :P
I think Z!re has it. This would cover all the bases.
Really Dysfunctional Coder
Antoni
Veteran

Post by Antoni »

I will not be answering VB questions then....
Pritchard
Coder

Post by Pritchard »

I don't know. Unless you redid the site to be a little more aimed towards the updates of the QB and FB community, then keep it how it is.

Like, for example, absolutely everything on the left side bar (navigation panel) says it's QB related. Okay, okay, you do link to freebasic.net at the very bottom of the left panel. Can't argue with that :roll:

For the FreeBASIC content you have outside of the magazine, I can't find it. That's completely related to the fact that you don't have much FB content access on the site.

Keep the domain name how it is, or change the content :P
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

I don't want to change it to Pete's *BASIC Site (even if it is a snappier name), because then my site wouldn't show up as well in search engines when you search for "qbasic", "quickbasic" or "freebasic". That would be the stupidest thing I could do!

Pritchard, in case you're wondering, I plan on adding FB sections (links, tutorials, downloads, etc.) soon.

But don't you think the dozens of FB articles and news briefs in QB Express is enough to justify calling this a "FreeBasic" site as well? Look around at the FreeBasic sites on the Internet. Because of QB Express, my site has more actual FB content than just about any of them! If you don't count forum posts as "content", then my site has way more FB stuff on it than Freebasic.net and a lot of the other leading FB sites.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

"Petes QBASIC and FreeBASIC site"
"Petes QBASIC/FreeBASIC site"

Both feel too long..

"Pete's BASIC site" is nice and short..
Also, the name of the site dosent infkluence good search engines that much.
I have left this dump.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

PETE'S
FREEBASIC AND QBASIC SITE
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Z!re wrote:Also, the name of the site dosent infkluence good search engines that much.
Are you kidding? Having a keyword in the title of your site makes all the difference in the world.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Pete wrote:
Z!re wrote:Also, the name of the site dosent infkluence good search engines that much.
Are you kidding? Having a keyword in the title of your site makes all the difference in the world.
So how come Pete's QBASIC site shows up when I do a search for FieldView? (Just an example)

Like I said, a good search engine doesent trust the page header, the best ones (Including Google) ignore it alltogether and instead scan the content of the page.
I have left this dump.
nkk_kan
Veteran

Post by nkk_kan »

Well,as you want both Qbasic and free basic names in the title,
it would become very long but it's okay if it is..
anyway, how about

"Qbasic And FreeBasic : The Eternals"
or

"Basic : Qb and Fb" (This sounds uninteresting to me...)
or

"Pete Meets Qb\Fb"
or

"Qbasic/Freebasic Warriors"

or

"Qbasic/Freebasic Madness"

or

"Qbasic/Freebasic Lovezone"

ok... That's it...
I thought over them for 1 hour and i know they all aren't that good but maybe....

nkk
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

But it *does* influence your standings to an extent. But more importantly, it influences whether or not somebody (humans) CLICK the link to your site.
So how come Pete's QBASIC site shows up when I do a search for FieldView?
Sure my site comes up, but if you're looking for FieldView, are you going to click the link for "Pete's QBasic Site :: View topic - YAGL: Yet Another Game Library" (that's what comes up, I looked), or "Plantasy Studios :: Fieldview".

My site comes up ahead of yours in the rankings... but you're not going to click my link for some random post about YAGL, you're going to go to the one with "Fieldview" in the title.

Now if my website was called "Pete's Fieldview Site" it would be a different story!
Last edited by Pete on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Pete wrote:
But it *does* influence your standings to an extent. But more importantly, it influences whether or not somebody (humans) CLICK the link to your site.
So how come Pete's QBASIC site shows up when I do a search for FieldView?
Sure my site comes up, but if you're looking for FieldView, are you going to click the link for "Pete's QBasic Site :: View topic - YAGL: Yet Another Game Library" (that's what comes up, I looked), or "Plantasy Studios :: Fieldview".

Sure, my site comes up ahead of yours in the rankings... but you're not going to click my link for some random post about YAGL, you're going to go to the one with "Fieldview" in the title.

Now if my website was called "Pete's Fieldview Site" it would be a different story!
I agree, so why not "Pete's BASIC Site" we both agree that the page header is for human reading only, and then you want it short and descriptive.

Do not ever have it say both QBASIC and FB, title becomes long and frankly a bit silly. It would feel like you tried to cram as much as possible in there: "Pete's site about QBASIC, QuickBASIC, QB and FreeBASIC programming and the site of QBExpress which is also about FreeBASIC" :P
I have left this dump.