QBASIC SVGA in Windows XP

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Brandon
Coder

QBASIC SVGA in Windows XP

Post by Brandon »

For my GUI I need an SVGA Library It also has to work in Windows XP. I tried to use FreeBASIC for DOS but it only works on one of my 7 PCs! ANy help?
Theophage
Coder

Post by Theophage »

Ummm....FreeBASIC for DOS? Why not just FreeBasic for WindowsXP? It works just fine.
Daniel "Theophage" Clark
theophage (at) geocities (dot) com

"God used to be my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I had to eat Him..."
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

You cant get SVGA working on windows XP universaly. You might get it to work on one computer, or two.

Dont code in QBASIC if your target audience is using any system newer than DOS.

And thats REAL DOS, on a DOS system (read: system from 1990 or earlier) Not the DOS shell in XP or 200 or whatever.

Face facts, QBASIC is obsolete. It was obsolete when I started, and that's almost 10 years ago.
I have left this dump.
Brandon
Coder

Post by Brandon »

I figured since this is Pete's QBASIC/QuickBasic Site you would help me with my QB problems instead of telling my to use FB!!!

Ok, I spent 40minutes downloading FB of Windows and it pops up with an illegal operatione error that deosn't occur with FB for DOS!
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Brandon wrote:I figured since this is Pete's QBASIC/QuickBasic Site you would help me with my QB problems instead of telling my to use FB!!!

Ok, I spent 40minutes downloading FB of Windows and it pops up with an illegal operatione error that deosn't occur with FB for DOS!
You got it all wrong, I'm not telling you to use FB.
I'm telling you that it's impossible to get SVGA working under all computers running Windows.

There's simply nothing more to discuss.
I have left this dump.
Dr_D
Veteran

Post by Dr_D »

It's the cold hard truth. I spent weeks on a QB pacman clone with svga gfx. Out of all the people who tried it, only one was able to run it on WinXP. :(

By the way, I'm not telling you to use FB either. I'm just relating to your plight. I was highly frustrated after all that work. Freeware games usually give you the satisfaction of community feedback... good and bad. It's like being stuck in limbo when you don't even get that.
The Dr. is INsane!!!
AlienQB

Post by AlienQB »

As always, I wish to lobby for virtual machines (VM). With today's computers, running a VM is easier than ever. A pure DOS environment can be accomplished through a VM, regardless of what OS you're running. For example, I'm on a mac, but I can run both Windows and pure DOS through my virtualization software. And with the new intel macs, it performs amazingly well. So running a SVGA QB program in XP should be very possible through a VM. :D
The one and only.
AKA xerent
Zim
Veteran

Post by Zim »

Z!re wrote: I'm telling you that it's impossible to get SVGA working under all computers running Windows.

There's simply nothing more to discuss.
I don't know anything about VM's but what I've heard is mostly good. I think whar Z!re is getting at is this: Even if YOU can get it working on YOUR machine, there's little lilkelihood it will run on the next machine if the smae VM isn't there. That's why I never had motivation to get seriously into programming for hardware.
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
speesoft1991

Post by speesoft1991 »

Actually Dude, try using Future.Library 3.5 (you can download it under libs.) it expands Screen modes so it's possible 2 have SVGA via Windows (and XP)

First go to START>RUN> and type "COMMAND" instead of "CMD" after you have downloaded + Extracted FL35.zip

Next when it shows command prompt go to where you exctracted the zip through cd -flfolder (your folder for fl35)

build a 4.5 or 7.1 Library (make sure that under Setup>library) every thing is selected!

then load the QLB (it still has Call absolute on it so don't freak out)

then at the top few lines of code (ln 1 and 2) type this:

Code: Select all

REM $INCLUDE 'future.bi'
Set800x600 8
Look at the doc folder for more Subs/functions

Compile the app and it should be 100% universal (doubting Windows Vista) but it works through DosBox v0.65[/code]
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

FutureLib uses VESA, like ALL other QBASIC highresolution libraries. VESA is NO LONGER SUPPORTED by many video card drivers and vendors. Especially not by Microsoft.
I have left this dump.
speesoft1991

Post by speesoft1991 »

you can try these things:

1. talk to the XGUI dude
2. Google the VESA Drivers and download it in your package for distrubution

3. Use FreeBasic (though i haven't used it, it's said to be good!!!)