Join the Linux Revolution!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Pats... can Qbinux be counted as a Linux distribution? You would only need a 386 or 486 with MS-DOS...
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Seb McClouth wrote:Pats... can Qbinux be counted as a Linux distribution? You would only need a 386 or 486 with MS-DOS...
I would call it like fake linux ratherly.
Anyway, qbinux is cool project. Keep up 8)
Any chance you change it as 32bit?
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

xcept that my develop machine has to less memory to even do that... I'm stuck with 4mb ram. Might powerup my old and trusty PI-133mhz. Then we can do some 32bits powerup.
For now I need to get all the 16bits part working.

grtz
QBinux is a Linux distribution with the aim of integrating the work of the vast community of free software developers at Pete's QBASIC Site in order to create a modern, performant, safe and easy to use system for system administrators and desktop users.
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

lurah wrote:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:most programs don't run under Linux.
mmm...you mean windows programs wont run?
I mean after 6 months in linux only havent got any problems to find suitable program for my use.
I mean big commercial software. For instance, if I want to play The Sims or World of Warcraft, I would have to use Windows. WINE doesn't cut it for those. Other than that, I have no troubles with Linux. My biggest computer problem right now is the fact that I don't have internet at home :)

Seb McClouth wrote:Pats... can Qbinux be counted as a Linux distribution? You would only need a 386 or 486 with MS-DOS...
Why are you asking me? If you mean a real Linux distro then no, because it does not run on the offical Linux Kernel. But, it is the closest you will get to running Linux on MS-DOS. Great work, Seb. Keep it up! If I was a better programmer, I might have been able to make some packaging routines (installpkg type stuff) and a Desktop Environment. PDE! hehehe...[/url]
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yeah, since it's not running on the linux kernel, it's not a linux distro. It's more of a linux shell or linux port...
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:
lurah wrote:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:most programs don't run under Linux.
mmm...you mean windows programs wont run?
I mean after 6 months in linux only havent got any problems to find suitable program for my use.
I mean big commercial software. For instance, if I want to play The Sims or World of Warcraft, I would have to use Windows. WINE doesn't cut it for those. Other than that, I have no troubles with Linux. My biggest computer problem right now is the fact that I don't have internet at home :)

Why are you asking me? If you mean a real Linux distro then no, because it does not run on the offical Linux Kernel. But, it is the closest you will get to running Linux on MS-DOS. Great work, Seb. Keep it up! If I was a better programmer, I might have been able to make some packaging routines (installpkg type stuff) and a Desktop Environment. PDE! hehehe...[/url]
That PDE... maybe you can make some drawing of what you would like... maybe we can work sumfin out... I might make a GUI sooner that I've said... e-mail me...
Veteran

Seb McClouth wrote:
PQBC wrote:...and a Desktop Environment. PDE! hehehe...[/url]
That PDE... maybe you can make some drawing of what you would like... maybe we can work sumfin out... I might make a GUI sooner that I've said... e-mail me...
I was saying that if I was a better programmer, I would make a desktop environment. But, I am not a graphics person. Sorry! Maybe a TUI, but nothing much. T that looks like G. Hahah.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

What would you like to see in your GUI? Then I can create a PDE myselfs maybe...
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Regarding "Join the Linux Revolution."

My Windows machine has been down for several weeks, and I've been using my son's machine that has Linux Ubuntu. So, I didn't actually join the Linux revolution, I latched on to the nearest system available to me. Let me tell you about my experiences.

I'm primarily a QuickBasic user that has been running under MSDOS/Windows for about 5 years. I use the Windows facilities for Internet access, Outlook for email, Word for documents, Notepad for text files, and sometimes Excel for spreadsheets.

When my son gave me a quick introduction to Linux Ubuntu, I immediately asked about running the Quickbasic compiler and a bunch of executable programs that I have. He scouted around, and we tried several DOS emulators which didn't work at all. Then we tried a thing called DOSEMU, which kind of worked for a few things, but did not work to my 100% satisfaction. The bottom line is that I can't run my Quickbasic stuff.

Then I moved on to the email package called Thunderbird. This baby doesn't look anything like Outlook, nor Hotmail, nor Gmail. It handles email in a completely different way. The "help" is no help at all. The most annoying thing is that, for the last week, everytime I get into Thunderbird, it asks me for my password for my email service provider. Why now after 3 weeks of not asking?

Using the other "applications" like the ones for Word documents, PDF documents, and Excel spreadsheets, I discovered several differences and some weird characters. These documents are not native to Linux Ubuntu, and what you're getting is an emulation as close as possible.

Working on the Internet, using Firefox, also gave me some surprises. Files that I had read before, like the help on QBNews, now was formatted wrong, had weird characters, and was very difficult to read. Doing copy/paste doesn't always work. You do the copy, and then you paste nothing. Plus, things just seem to work much slower.

Well, that's about my story about using Linux Ubuntu. I have a feeling that this operating system is probably great if your developing and running your own programs in Java, C, etc. The problem is that we have become accustomed to all the facilities and applications in Windows, and expect to find them in other operating systems.

Would I switch to Linux for the long run? Only for developing and running Java-type applications. For user oriented stuff, I'll stick to Windows.
Seb McClouth
Veteran

Post by Seb McClouth »

Hey Moneo

You could try the FreeBasic version for Linux. Most of the commands are the same.

You should try other distribution as well... Linspire (first I'm using it) is really easy.

grtz
Seb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I got my dos emulation running perfectly in ubuntu. The copy+paste always works, its much faster than windows... maybe he just needs to update his system?
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

moneo wrote: When my son gave me a quick introduction to Linux Ubuntu, I immediately asked about running the Quickbasic compiler and a bunch of executable programs that I have. He scouted around, and we tried several DOS emulators which didn't work at all. Then we tried a thing called DOSEMU, which kind of worked for a few things, but did not work to my 100% satisfaction. The bottom line is that I can't run my Quickbasic stuff.
apt-get dosbox
Only problem this far is when runnings code that has defseg.
But hey, dos is dos, winblows is winblows and linux is linux. Prlly never comes time when qbasic stuffs works on linux, alltho how long they work on winblows anymore?
moneo wrote: Then I moved on to the email package called Thunderbird. This baby doesn't look anything like Outlook, nor Hotmail, nor Gmail. It handles email in a completely different way.
Yes, certainly it doesnt, because its not any of those ones.
moneo wrote: The most annoying thing is that, for the last week, everytime I get into Thunderbird, it asks me for my password for my email service provider. Why now after 3 weeks of not asking?
Hard to say with out knowing whats happened there.
Maybe your son has done something that affected for whole thunderbird etc.
moneo wrote: Using the other "applications" like the ones for Word documents,
PDF documents, and Excel spreadsheets, I discovered several differences and some weird characters. These documents are not native to Linux Ubuntu, and what you're getting is an emulation as close as possible.
Well, if M$ would go with less tight politics, there might be change to do 100% mirrored copys of M$ documents etc. But no, theyr policy is "everything with our programs, our ways and thru our cashier"
moneo wrote: Working on the Internet, using Firefox, also gave me some surprises. Files that I had read before, like the help on QBNews, now was formatted wrong, had weird characters, and was very difficult to read.
Yes, because its made for M$ os's and browsers originally. If it works right with M$, doesnt mean its right then. Same as british says that allmost rest of the world is driving on wrong side of roads.
moneo wrote: Doing copy/paste doesn't always work. You do the copy, and then you paste nothing.
Never heard before.
moneo wrote: Plus, things just seem to work much slower.
Kernell created wrong.
moneo wrote: Would I switch to Linux for the long run? Only for developing and running Java-type applications. For user oriented stuff, I'll stick to Windows.
Never didnt doubt it :wink:
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Thanks for all your feedback, guys, especially all the details by Lurah.

Can't wait until I get my Windows machine fixed, and not have to keep treading into the unknown.
Veteran

I don't like Ubuntu much myself. I use KNOPPIX for my Live-CD (DVD) needs and Slackware as my main system.
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

Ubuntu is bit different if you compare it as some other "regular" linux distro.

Anyway, its good for linux newbie, alltho im compiling source of gentoo here atm so im also moving away from ubuntu.
Poencebasder7

Post by Poencebasder7 »

Veteran

OH EHM GEE! A spam bot brought back the Linux Revolution! OMFGORZ!SYSTEM! RETURN! STOP! END!

well, i'm spent... i'm sooooo sorry for starting this flame war...
Zoasterboy
Coder

Post by Zoasterboy »

I have joined! (about a month ago)

I got Suse with Gnome, and grabbed Knoppix and Simply Mepis on live CD with KDE.

I set up my computer to dualboot to Suse/window$$ ME (barff). I hafta keep it to get some of my weird programs that refuse to run on anything but win$ ME.
-yah