Wont DELETE!!!

If you have questions about any aspect of QBasic programming, or would like to help fellow programmers solve their problems, check out this board!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Zamaster
Veteran

Wont DELETE!!!

Post by Zamaster »

ARRGGGHHHHH! Every time a compile a program in qb4.5 into an exe, I cant delete it! It says its being used by another person or program. And I mean EVERYTIME. You can only delete it if you log off and then log back on. What in the world is going on?
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Maybe your problem is that you're getting into QB directly from Windows. If so, then QB underWindows "owns" the exe file.

Try getting into the MSDOS commandline first. Then get into QB. Then, do the compile. Now, you should be able to delete the exe either from the MSDOS commandline, or from Windows if you like.
RyanKelly
Coder

Post by RyanKelly »

I've never had this problem. Which version of windows are you running?
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Im running XP. Sorry moneo but Im not sure how Id do that, could you explain what I need to do in easy language?
RUN\DOS\RUN
thegrogen
Coder

Post by thegrogen »

Go to Start->Run, and in the textbox type in "cmd" and hit enter.
Current projects:
oberonOS
Project HYDROGEN
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

thegrogen wrote:Go to Start->Run, and in the textbox type in "cmd" and hit enter.
Correct. That will put you on the MSDOS commandline. Then, change directory (CD) to the directory which has your QBasic stuff.

Do you need more details?
Zim
Veteran

Post by Zim »

I make desktop shortcuts that take me to specific folders and drop me at the DOS prompt.

There's also a thing you can do with "command /k" in folder properties so that when you right click on a folder, one of your options will be to go to the DOS prompt at that level. Handy.
--- Zim ---
--- Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana ---
bungytheworm
Veteran

Post by bungytheworm »

RyanKelly wrote:I've never had this problem. Which version of windows are you running?
Back in my XP days i had that same problem. Neeed to delete from command prompt. Practically, all dos programs needed to remove like that way.

But thats no problem anymore, i removed xp :lol:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

If you are using WIN XP, don't use the IDE. Problem solved. :lol:
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Zamaster,

So, have you solved your problem? What's your status regarding this issue?
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Not really. Im not sure what exactly the problem is. You guys said something about running the IDE from dos and thatll make it work? Do I just need to change the Current Directory to the one where QB 4.5 is in? Im sorry Im so lame on this sorta thing.
RUN\DOS\RUN
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Yes, once you're on the MSDOS commandline, you need to change directory (CD) to the directory where you QBasic stuff including the IDE is located. This is really very simple. You must do this in order to find out if this is going to work for you.

Don't worry about "being lame on this stuff". Nobody was born with knowledge. We all had to learn one step at a time.
shdwmarth

Post by shdwmarth »

Hi I am having a similar problem. I love using QBasic but I can't delete it from my computer. I tried to delete it from msdos cmd line but it still says its being used by someone else. I just need to know how to delete it in case i ever want to get rid of it or is there a way that i can make it so that i can just put it into the recycle bin like any other program?
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Look at the processes and kill the one process that activates after attempting to delete it.
1. Ctrl Alt Del
2. Click the processes tab
3. attempt to delete the file and see which process reacts
4. kill the reacting process