Licenced under "my rules"

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

bungytheworm
Veteran

Licenced under "my rules"

Post by bungytheworm »

Yeah, use google, check wikis, read and learn.

Im so sick and tired trying to understand all possible licences there are used by softwares.

Usually those licences are so "smart" english that i give up after reading first 10 lines.

In case some one knows them good enough to create a simple tutorial etc. of em with some exsamples, i would be extremely happy, and i bet there would be lika a zillion other ones too.

Thx, lurah
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Software License Agreements, in general, are written as an attempt to protect purchased software from being copied.

Some license agreements can be more complicated by covering other subjects such as:

* Number of users that can make use of the software when the main software is resident on a server. This can have several usage variations.

* The number of months that the software is under warranty.

* The number of months before the software expires. Continues use of expired software may be in violation of the license. You may be expected to purchase the next version. Some expired software will no longer run after the expiry date.

* If support and upgrades were purchased, the number of months that these will be in effect.

Many times, these additional clauses in a software license are just an attempt to do more business with you.

You should read the license agreement on any software that you purchase, and be aware of clauses regarding software expiry and any others involving additional purchases.

Beware of software products that provide additional databases that are maintained and provided via download by the software company. If this company goes out of business, or decides to terminate support for the product, you will have an obsolete database and an obsolete product.

CAVEAT EMPTOR --- the buyer beware.
leeor_net

Post by leeor_net »

The best liscence I know is the GNU GPL. The general idea is this: Do whatever the hell you want with this (include sell it)... just make your changes and the original source code available to the public.

I go by that with most of my stuff.
- Leeor
PlayerOne

Post by PlayerOne »

I'm not a fan of Copyleft licenses like the GPL myself. I prefer a license that doesn't force itself on later users of the code, like the BSD, Apache and Mozilla licenses, where derivatives can be made closed again.

I like Open Source, but I also like to get the best software possible, and that is hampered by copyleft licenses, since good code can never be incorporated into closed-source projects (or indeed, open source projects with different licences).

The GPL locks you in. It's like compulsory freedom, which is curiously contradictory.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Licenses are made cause americans are stupid and love finding tiny loopholes, such as if the program is copied to a diskette and then to a calculator ROM then transfered to a space station, it's no longer bound by the license!

*GASP!*

So licenses have to protect against all kinds of retarded crap.

Yes.. retarded.

"This is my program, I dont want you to sell it onwards, nor decompile, or in any other way try to gain access to the source. Nor are you allowed to profit from this in any way unless given permission to do so by me."

Oh, but I used "me" and me refers to a company, I just forgot to say that. So license is invalid.. yay for retarded people!

Anyways, zlib license is a good one.
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The LGPL is the license I use the most. The zlib license is good too. The Zireli license you want to ignore, as it makes you say stupid things. :P
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

On my Slackware box, I made a program in FB (because it's Linux compatible) that makes the text of a file appear on the terminal window. What's good about this is the fact that I have this 'Star Wars' screensaver. It gets text from a program, and scrolls it like the Star Wars intro-thingys. The reason this is on-subject is because I have the GNU GPL scrolling on it :)

Nek wrote:The Zireli license you want to ignore, as it makes you say stupid things. :P
May I remind you Z!re is capable, and likely to, murder you?
Veteran

Post by Guest »

PlayerOne wrote:I'm not a fan of Copyleft licenses like the GPL myself. I prefer a license that doesn't force itself on later users of the code, like the BSD, Apache and Mozilla licenses, where derivatives can be made closed again.

I like Open Source, but I also like to get the best software possible, and that is hampered by copyleft licenses, since good code can never be incorporated into closed-source projects (or indeed, open source projects with different licences).

The GPL locks you in. It's like compulsory freedom, which is curiously contradictory.
And this stops you from lying how?
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:May I remind you Z!re is capable, and likely to, murder you?
Lies, ALL LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111oenoneoneeleven
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Readme.txt wrote:##### End User License Agreement #####
By creating an account on the FieldView server you acknowledge that:
Plantasy Studios own any and all rights to the account, and any information related to it.
You are not allowed to profit in any way from FieldView related material without written consent from a senior Plantasy Studios member.
Plantasy Studios can not be held responsible for any ill-effects, in any form, that may arise from using FieldView or related material.
Plantasy Studios reserves the right to terminate the account, or any other FieldView related material, at any time without prior notice.
Plantasy Studios reserves the right to stop providing the FieldView service at any time without prior notice.

##### Other Licenses #####
FieldView MMORPG Engine is copyright 2004-2006 Plantasy Studios
You are allowed to redistribute and share this program, provided the following conditions are meet:
-The original package must not have been altered, unless written consent is given from a senior Plantasy Studios member.
-You may not profit from this product in any way without written consent from a senior Plantasy Studios member.
-You may not decompile or in any other way try to gain access to the code without written consent from a senior Plantasy Studios member.
I have left this dump.
Veteran

Nekrophidius wrote:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations wrote:May I remind you Z!re is capable, and likely to, murder you?
Lies, ALL LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111oenoneoneeleven
you spelled one wrong :P
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

This sentence not English! :) If you remove the appositive: "May I remind you Z!re is capable murder you?" :wink:

Anyway, ZLIB seems like a pretty nice license to me, but I usually prefer the GPL for non-libraryish things. Bad stuff happens when open-source software becomes closed-source (see Cedega, for example).
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

DrV wrote:
This sentence not English! :) If you remove the appositive: "May I remind you Z!re is capable murder you?" :wink:

Anyway, ZLIB seems like a pretty nice license to me, but I usually prefer the GPL for non-libraryish things. Bad stuff happens when open-source software becomes closed-source (see Cedega, for example).
]

He was not using the apostraphies as an appositive, merely as a tool to help the sentance flow and not become a run-on.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The structure is incorrect.

"May I remind you Z!re is capable, and likely to, murder you?"

In such a construct, you should be able to remove the phrase between commas and still have a coherent sentence. That isn't the case here, you end up with "capable murder you". This sentence cannot be written correctly in its present form, as "capable to murder" isn't correct grammar. So even if you move the comma to its correct place (right after "likely"), the sentence is still grammatically incorrect.

My English rules are a bit rusty but what I believe you're doing here is mixing an intransitive verb with an adverb in the same passage.
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

May I remind you that I am capable of, and likely to, murder you

Still not 100% correct, but atleast it would pass in an english essay now :P ..

Correct way would be:
May I remind you that I am capable of murder. And that I am likely to murder you

While the . can be substituted for a , it's not "proper" english anymore, as the sentence becomes too long.. Proper english has a sentence limit of 6 words, average word lenght being 4.x characters..

All hail books about cryptography :P ..
I have left this dump.
RyanKelly
Coder

Post by RyanKelly »

Z!re wrote: Proper english has a sentence limit of 6 words, average word length being 4.x characters..
Was that a joke?
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

RyanKelly wrote:
Z!re wrote: Proper english has a sentence limit of 6 words, average word length being 4.x characters..
Was that a joke?
Look it up yourself.. "sentence limit" is not an actuall limit, but it's the average lenght of an english sentence.
That and the average wordlenght is how cryptographers determine if a message is actually a real message, or just random crap..

Example 1:
asdf ghj a asdfgh qwerty! Asdf hkj m oiuyt asdf aaa.

Example 2:
asdfghjkl qwertyuiop mnbvxcz asdjfkdjs kajsuieueiie manskdjewerit lsdkfjadfkjkllasdf lkafdoiuerwerjsdaf kljasdfladfiuer! kajshfdksdjfh ewrwiuyriuwe oidsufaosidfuaoisdf wetlkjerlkjtwlekrtj bfnsdfmgnsbfg.

Which one looks more like two "proper" english sentences? Here's a hint.. it's example 1

Ofcourse there are encryptions which scramble that, so you cant determine what language it's from..
Every modern language has a unique average wordlen and sentencelen
Also repetition of characters, in english it's E (The most common)

Etc, yadda yadda.. Get the book Crypthography for Dummies (ya, it's good) or Applied Cryptography Through the Ages
I have left this dump.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Actually, Z!re, it's more correct to use the , rather than the . because breaking up a passage like that is improper grammar...proper English sentences should never begin with a conjunction when used in this context. The sentence wouldn't be too long, it's not a run-on sentence in any way. :)

Yes, it's true...not all Americans are English-illiterate. :D
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Nekrophidius wrote:Actually, Z!re, it's more correct to use the , rather than the . because breaking up a passage like that is improper grammar...proper English sentences should never begin with a conjunction when used in this context. The sentence wouldn't be too long, it's not a run-on sentence in any way. :)

Yes, it's true...not all Americans are English-illiterate. :D
In the murder sentence case, it also depends on the tone you want to set, yuo could even slap in a ; for a longer pause and break up the sentence even more.

And grammar and "proper" english isnt the same, where "proper" I refer to the most common, and the way you detect if a text is english or not.
Not if a text follow english grammar to the letter. Which none of us do, not even close.
I have left this dump.
Veteran

I try to make a joke and it develops into this... I knew it was wrong but I was in a hurry to get it in.