FBGD Retro 2008 Competition(closed; entries are being rated)

The forum for all of your Freebasic needs!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

FBGD Retro 2008 Competition(closed; entries are being rated)

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

FBGD Retro 2008 Competition

Competition rules:
  • Create a game of any genre in FreeBASIC, in 640*480 graphics resolution.

The minimum graphics unit has to be an 8x8 pixels sized block or any bigger than that multiplied with 2 (16x16, 32x32), in order to emulate 80x60 resolution. This means that movement in the game has to be 8 pixels per cycle minimum, and all pixels need to be placed in the appropriate pseudo-resolution grid. In other words, first pseudo-pixel is located on 0,0 coordinate and ends on 7,7. All other pixels are placed respectively. No sliding of pixels between the grid positions is allowed. A pseudo-pixel with the size of 9x9 is outside of rules.

You don?t have to use the entire 640*480 screen, but this resolution needs to be initiated (so that the game could be played full screen on most PCs).

You are only allowed to use the colors from the default 16-colors EGA palette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_G ... or_palette). You can use a 32-bit color depth mode, but nevertheless, you are only allowed to use the colors from that palette (use RGB to color the pixels if you want, no restrictions there).

You are allowed to load your sprites from any image file format, and they can be of any size. The image can be consisted of regular pixels and you can then later "blow-up" those pixel to the size of 8x8. The most important fact is that the sprites (inside the program) must be consisted of 8x8 pseudo-pixels, and that they will move in the game 8 pixels per cycle minimum, always remaining in the pseudo-resolution grid. The pseudo-pixels and sprites consisted of them can also be generated in the code. It doesn?t matter.

Pixels mustn?t be shaded or anti-aliased. 16-colors rule applies.

You can use any third-party lib wrapped for FreeBASIC.

You can use any sort of sound/music for you entry, but retro sound/music are prefered. No sound/music entries are also valid.

You must submit the source code together with your entry.

There are no code size/style restrictions. This is a game design competition.

There are no team size restrictions. Create your entry alone or with other people. I don't care.
This is a mock-up image of how an entry for this compo might look like:

• The competition started on 28th August, 20:30 GMT.

The competition ends on 21st September (Sunday), 18:00 GMT - extended.

All entries must be submitted before that date. Eventually extension of the deadline is possible, but not more than for another week.

Entries are submitted in this thread, the http://www.freebasic.net or http://games.freebasic.net competition threads, or via email to lachie13@yahoo.com.

The entries will be evaluated by me in a week following the final deadline and announced shortly. The gameplay, originality is exploiting the graphics limits, and consistent retro design will receive the highest marks. All entries will be reviewed and scored, and my decision will be elaborated.

The award will be a monthly feature of the winning entry at the FBGD main page and a possible graphics signature thingy. I?m sorry, I can?t offer more, but hopefully the competition rules are a motivation enough.
I encourage you to post your work in progress or plans in any form (just a sentence or two describing it is enough) before the final deadline to motivate other competitors.
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lachie Dazdarian - The Maker Of Stuff
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

If I have the time, I'll give it a quick shot. I have a text based game on my calc that's sorta interesting, I could use that, with a little extra graphics sprinkled in.

[edit] What about 24 bit depth?
For any grievances posted above, I blame whoever is in charge . . .
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Any bit depth is allowed. Just not sure why would you prefer 24bit in this case. Anyway, I've heard some urban legends that it really doesn't exists, and that it's really same as 32bit.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Any bit depth is allowed. Just not sure why would you prefer 24bit in this case. Anyway, I've heard some urban legends that it really doesn't exists, and that it's really same as 32bit.
Backwards. RGB, 3 color thingies. 256 (8 bits) each. 8 bits * 3 = 24 bits per pixel. I read that the extra 8 bits for 32 bpp are unused, and are for compatibility reasons.

Just checking. And what about screenLock/screenUnlock?
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

What about it?

Anything is allowed as long as the pseudo-resolution rule is not broken. Minimum graphics unit has to be an 8x8 pixels sized block (created on any way you want).
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

technically, it's 32 bit depth that doesn't physically exist when you think about it.

24bit has 16.7 million colors.
32bit has 16.7 million colors and 8 transparency bits. ;)...
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

So using the palette, those 8 bits won't matter.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

The extra 8 bits in 32 bit mode do nothing in and of themselves. Developers just sometimes used the extra byte as an alpha channel. AFAIK, the reason why 32 bit modes exist is for byte alignment.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Nodtveidt wrote:The extra 8 bits in 32 bit mode do nothing in and of themselves. Developers just sometimes used the extra byte as an alpha channel. AFAIK, the reason why 32 bit modes exist is for byte alignment.
Thank the wiki gods for the internet.
Look near the bottom of the page
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Looks like I was right. :)
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Aghr. 80*60 isn't enough room. I'm working with a 220 * 100 arena.

Oh well. Just means the player will have to pay more attention.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

You can always consider scrolling.
Mentat
Veteran

Post by Mentat »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:You can always consider scrolling.
Already implemented :D. I didn't even have a choice.
Might expand some more. I've got to put down two sets of 100 5*3 tanks, a median, peoples in between, a menu, and of course, border scenery.

Right now I'm working on drawing the arena and scenery. After that, the game logic, sprinkle on some more eye candy, then readme.

I didn't think it would be such a big production. But the 80 * 60 has forced me to be a little bit more arcade-like.

We can use full screen, right?
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Yes, full screen is allowed.

BTW, made some changes on two rules.

I rephrased the main rule regarding pseudo-resoultion to make it clearer.

Also, I altered a bit the rule about loading graphics from image files. I pointed out that you can use sprites consisted of "normal" 1x1 pixels, but these pixels then need to be "blown-up" to 8x8 size inside your program (on any way you want). Sorry if the original rule slow down someone by forcing them to draw sprites consisted of 8x8 pixels. Then again it's pretty easy to scale your image files by 8:1. Oh, well. Whatever is easier for you.
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

Competition deadline has keep extended to 21st September. Visit the original compo thread for more details: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=246.0
Lachie Dazdarian
Veteran

As of this moment, new submission won't be accepted anymore.

For the list of entries and final results (in a few days), visit the official forum thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=246.0