A 2d Game

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Anonymous

A 2d Game

Post by Anonymous »

Hi everybody. :)

First thing I want to say is this site is awesome. I didn't know you could do so much with QB. 8)

Now, I'm a beginner (not a newbie ;) I'm not going to be THAT annoying) and I'm starting a new project. I wanted to ask you some questions so I know what to do.

1. I wish to make a old mario style game with the figure jumping over things and so forth. I'd like to set it so the character is always moving. What type of tutorial should I look at to make an engine that works like that?

2. Graphic wise, where should I look about that?

Thanks a lot. :)
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Hi JonathanS,

Welcome aboard. :-).

Ok...I think one of the best series you can read (as far as QB is concerned) to learn would be Vic's tutorial. They are 22 of them but the are very clear and to the point. you can read them here: http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tut ... n.shtml#11

Now, there is this new crave, have you heard of FreeBASIC (http://www.freebasic.net) ? if not...it's a 32 bit version of QBasic. This is a compiler however so you can use FBIDE or Any editor you want to write your code then you compile it with the FreeBASIC Compiler. It allows you to do much more advanced games, faster, without the memory limits of QBasic and family. I'd still read those tutorials and maybe do this game in QB (to get yourself back on track with the language) then take a good look at FreeBASIC and FBIDE. You'll see just how close they've come and how good a job they did at giving a QB like language that can do whatever the other languages can do.
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Howdy partner, hold your horses till QB Express 14(the site magazine) comes out. There will be a nice reference in there about sprite FX that should really help you spice up your game! Good luck!
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks. :D
sid6.7
Veteran

Post by sid6.7 »

MystikShadows wrote:Hi JonathanS,

Welcome aboard. :-).

Ok...I think one of the best series you can read (as far as QB is concerned) to learn would be Vic's tutorial. They are 22 of them but the are very clear and to the point. you can read them here: http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tut ... n.shtml#11

Now, there is this new crave, have you heard of FreeBASIC (http://www.freebasic.net) ? if not...it's a 32 bit version of QBasic. This is a compiler however so you can use FBIDE or Any editor you want to write your code then you compile it with the FreeBASIC Compiler. It allows you to do much more advanced games, faster, without the memory limits of QBasic and family. I'd still read those tutorials and maybe do this game in QB (to get yourself back on track with the language) then take a good look at FreeBASIC and FBIDE. You'll see just how close they've come and how good a job they did at giving a QB like language that can do whatever the other languages can do.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....dark side it is

stay in the light(qbasic).....you, help, it will....

hehehehehe
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

JA! FreeBASIC ist sehr shlect und blod!
RUN\DOS\RUN
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

I have another suggestion, give making your own engine a shot. Id love to help if you need it.
RUN\DOS\RUN
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

Zamaster wrote:JA! FreeBASIC ist sehr shlect und blod!
That'd be "schlect und bl?d", but I disagree anyway. :D To each his own, though.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Aber leute was machen wir jetz? Machen wir das jetz am deutsch?
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ich spricht Deutch gut nicht. (I can't even pronounce it correctly) :)

Thanks for offering to help, Zamaster. I have never made one before and I hoped to learn from it. I've only left the realm of using 10 print"Hello." about 6 months ago. :D

I found this site and went "WOW! You don't have to use numbers?" :)

I'm going to go over those tutorials on the weekend and see what i can do. :)

Thanks all of you for the help!!!
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

ewww, toss the numberlines
RUN\DOS\RUN
paulunknown...

Post by paulunknown... »

What are the numbers before PRINT do?
I see some codes with numbers before PRINT in my math book but I don't get what it does.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

@ sid6.7: FB is not the dark side, neirther of them are... FB is just better rounded and supported on more systems... If you must code something that not every one can use, so be it.... :P

@ paul: The number before PRINT notes the Linenumber, thus:

Code: Select all

1 CLS
2 PRINT "Hello, world"
3 SLEEP
4 END
But you don't need them... Tho you can use them like this to make a loop (not recomended):

1 CLS
2 x = x + 1
3 LOCATE 1, 1: PRINT x
4 IF INKEY$ = "" THEN GOTO 1
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
paul

Post by paul »

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
What is the difference between Gosub and Goto though?
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

e.g

GOTO:
10 GOTO 200
200 '$$$
210 end

GOSUB:
ON ERROR GOSUB ErrHandler

'your stuff here!

END

ErrHandler:
'error handler stuff
RETURN
The moral of thi story? Goto goes a linenr/label and doesn't return. Gosub goes to a linenr/label and has to return.

grtz
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

GOTO is similar to jmp and GOSUB is similar to jsr. :D But people still argue that both are evil...mwuahahahahahahahahahahahaha humans...what silly creatures......
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

FreeBASIC is evil and cheap cause' you have to work harder to use QB. This makes QB more of a joy to program instead of sleezing your way out and taking the easy road :P
RUN\DOS\RUN
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

Zamaster wrote:FreeBASIC is evil and cheap cause' you have to work harder to use QB. This makes QB more of a joy to program instead of sleezing your way out and taking the easy road :P
how is it easier, just because you can actually use all the system ram? or because you can bload bmps instead of copying that program that did it for you in qb? :lol: Its 99% the same thing....
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

There you go, you can just load BMP's into memory. Good programmers are running out cause they lack the experience to do things like create a BMP loader.
RUN\DOS\RUN
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

lol, or they aren't held up by things like learning the specific headers which you can just look up online and learn in 10 minutes flat....