Linux distro's

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

kalc
Coder

Linux distro's

Post by kalc »

Hi. I daw sveral posts on this forum referring to Linux; how great it is... how Winodws sucks! So I decided to try Linux out for myself. I've bought Austrumi off Ebay. It runs off a mini disc which I think is pretty cool. What are some of the other good distro's out there and what are your favourites?
Last edited by kalc on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need a pen
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

Knoppix is a nice distro which works from CD. From my installed experience I'd prefere SUSE or Red Hat. Currently I'm using Red Hat.

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Once I get my laptop working, I am gonna have to get more mem for the Red Hat Enterprise to work, and then I am gonna have to format and partition (I want windows just in case, and if I don't want that anymore I'll reformat and put MS-DOS6.22 on it... in that partition)

I hate Microsoft...
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Currently im using Ubuntu http://www.ubuntulinux.org with what im very happy.
Its hard to say what is best, its up of "needs". If youre a linux newbie, i could recommend any of major distro. (Red hat, debian, ubuntu, suse...) but ill warn not to try mandriva. It sounds cool and easy, but its not reliable, it needs at least same specs from pc than winXP (and its still slow as sh**) to work even properly and policy of mandriva club are like ROFLMAO.

But its most easy one after winshit. Its most "winlike" of major distros, feels like those same "crash bugs" of winshit are are at mandriva too :lol:

Anyway, wich distro ever you choose, its no so much up of it. Its up of patience and want to learn how things are handled with linux :wink:

Good place to start http://www.linuxquestions.org
Rocket Boy
Coder

Post by Rocket Boy »

I really like Fedora Core 4. Easy to install, learn, great community support from www.fedoraforum.org and easy to update/find programs for. It's what became of "Redhat Linux". I don't even use Windows anymore except for certain programs.
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Rocket Boy wrote:I really like Fedora Core 4. Easy to install, learn, great community support from www.fedoraforum.org and easy to update/find programs for. It's what became of "Redhat Linux". I don't even use Windows anymore except for certain programs.
Yah, Fedora is also one of "major" distros, and for reason :wink:
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I've just Fedora as well, just don't forget it's Red Hat based... same company you know... great linux tho
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I use FreeBSD. Nice alternative to Linux and able to run most Linux binaries.

FreeBSD + WindowMaker = ultrafast desktop environment.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I just stumbled upon this... I hated Fedora Core 4 because it ran so slooooow. I also tryed knoppix, Feather Linux, and Gentoo. I am downloading Debain right now.

Nek, Free-BSD: Is that a server distro or is it also made for normal use?
Veteran

Re: Linux distro's

Post by Guest »

kalc wrote:Hi. I daw sveral posts on this forum referring to Linux; how great it is... how Winodws sucks! So I decided to try Linux out for myself. I've bought Austrumi off Ebay. It runs off a mini disc which I think is pretty cool. What are some of the other good distro's out there and what are your favourites?
I can say quite the opposite...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Nathan1993 wrote:Nek, Free-BSD: Is that a server distro or is it also made for normal use?
FreeBSD is intended to be used as a server environment but it also makes a pretty decent desktop if you know anything at all about X.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

OK, I wasted a week of my time screwing around with linux. I hate it know. After seeing that Feather, Fedora Core, Knoppix, and Debian sucked, I can see that linux sucks... at least to me. Go ahead and try linux, it just REALLY doesn't go well with a laptop, or at least my Dell Latitude CPx.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I run FreeBSD on my little Compaq Notebook 100...it's the test environment for my MMORPG server. Runs WindowMaker on X without problems. I just haven't felt the need to compile sound support into the kernel but I might do that eventually...