Join the Linux Revolution!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Michael Calkins
Veteran

Post by Michael Calkins »

Goodness. The people on The QBASIC Forum don't flame anywhere near this bad...
Anyway, I think it is hard to deny that Linux is a very weird operating system. There are very real reasons to dislike Linux. Case-sensitivity, an abstract file system not necessarily representing the layout of real hard disks, having your files and processes on everyone else's computer, everyone else having their files and processes on your computer, etc. Of course, whether that is the case or not depends on the setup.

MS-DOS is much simpler. It is single tasking, it is much more likely to show where your files really are, your processes stay on your computer. Noone is butting in to your PC. You can reboot whenever you feel like it. You don't have to have some adminstrater's permission to do anything, because if you are at the keyboard in MS-DOS, you are the absolute authority, capable of accessing anything on the computer, capable of doing anything. No passwords, no login. Just sweet, elegant, beautiful simplicity. :-D

Still, DOS has it's drawbacks. It is primarilly 16 bit. The single tasking nature is not adequet for today's workplace. Linux is no doubt far superiour for server stuff, etc. But, DOS has 2 huge advantages over Windows. DOS is quite secure, and extremely stable. I've seen DOS crash with valid excuses. But I don't ever remember seeing DOS crash just because it felt like crashing...

This is from a person who has happily used DOS for over a decade, involving thousands of hours of usage. My total time with Linux amounts to a few hours. Of course, I am biased.

But, if someone has learned Linux, if someone likes Linux... Yes, Linux is a good operating system. Weird to no end, but good. Linux is great, even wonderful, if you know how to use it (which I don't). And what's wrong with evangilizing what you think is good? Insulting someone because they don't agree with you... That's wrong.

But XP? I will never like a version of Windows that has such sorry DOS emulation as NTVDM. (Not that I have any real expirience with NT/2000/XP, but I know it's DOS emulation is crud.) Death to XP! DEATH! XP deserves to bite the dust! DOWN!
Regards,
Michael
My siggy indicates what I love... Yep, I'm biased... And I can feel the flame already, from both the Windows and the Linux people. Bring it on...
Bring on the Maulotaurs! oops...
I like to slay Disciples of D'Sparil...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Nah, it's just me. :D I enjoy schmacking around Linux zealots. :D

XP does have major problems with its DOS emulation but a lot of people think that it's done on purpose...I dunno but regardless, yeah...its DOS emulation royally sucks most of the time.
And what's wrong with evangilizing what you think is good? Insulting someone because they don't agree with you... That's wrong.
The same thing that's wrong with religious zealots who do it...we don't wanna hear the bullshit, that's what. :) I don't think the majority of Linux versions are any good, and he said "fork you" because he didn't agree. Nice! :D Also, anyone who knows me knows that my responses were mostly in jest...flaming someone just because they're a monkey simply isn't fun anymore... :D

Basically though...if you're a DOS freak, stick to DOS. But many of us here use and enjoy using Windows XP...for better or for worse, it's the best thing going for modern computers and even though they don't want to, Linux n00bs gotta recognize. :twisted:
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

As the officiial Nekrophidius 'Yes "man"'..

I agree with Nek! :lol:
I have left this dump.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I dunno if I agree with Nek or not... I just think that everyone needs to find a OS that fits thier budget, needs and they like and just stick with that OS. Me, I have an income of 12 USD a week (allowence), so there is no way I can afford 400 USD Windows XP when I could get Linux for free.

How can I get windows XP when I could barely get my Nintendo DS? AND NOW I HAVE TO GET A NINTENDO REVOLUTION!!!

Yes, I am a nintendo fanboy.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

No one has to agree with me...my opinions are my opinions. :D I dislike the majority of Linux distros because they're all off on their own little tangents and seemingly doing everything in their power to stray from any kind of cross-distro compatibility...something that Linux zealots have been clucking about since before the earliest releases of Red Hat. The majority of Linux distros have been continuously becoming bigger and more bloated, something the Linux zealots bitch about with Windows. So basically it's the same mouthful of mouthwash swishing to the other cheek. I prefer FreeBSD because it's always maintained a very small footprint and its users are more dedicated and tend to be quite a bit smarter...FreeBSD isn't for the "linux leet crowd", it's for serious Unix users, and that's the reason I use it...it's a serious Unix with serious developers. :)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Nekrophidius wrote:The majority of Linux distros have been continuously becoming bigger and more bloated, something the Linux zealots bitch about with Windows.
I know what you mean. I am really pissed off. I spent (littarly(sp?)) all my time since sunday trying out linux... none have worked. FC is so bloated, it took more than 30 seconds just for Firefox to start up. Thats worse than (what I thought was horrible) 10 seconds in Windows 98. I am going to try to find a smaller distro thats NOT a live cd... and if that doesn't work, then screw linux.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I guess y'all could call me a BSD zealot ;) but I would really suggest trying out the latest stable release of FreeBSD instead of any version of Linux. The installer is deadly easy to use, and setting up X is a cinch for someone with even the most basic understanding of Unix. If you've got a relatively new computer, one you get X set up you can try running KDE, as it's probably the best desktop available for X. If you want something more lightweight though, WindowMaker is great...I use it on my FreeBSD system and I love it, although it does take a bit of configuring to be made really useful. One thing about the latest FreeBSD though is that they removed the ports collection from the CDROM, meaning that you'll need an active internet connection to actually install anything from the ports collection (this was slightly annoying to me but nothing I could do about it...heh) but other than that, I've not found a more reliable and serious version of Unix out there.
kalc
Coder

Post by kalc »

Well I got that Austrumi live mini-CD (although the bast*rd sent it to me on a normal CD!) and I'm not that impressed by Linux - if Austrumi is a good representation of Linux at its most generic form. Linux looks good and all but I found it too abstract. I made a nice looking spreadsheet but there's no use saving it because it disappears when I shutdown Austrumi. How do I connect to my USB flash stick!? Why can't I set up my dial-up connection in Firefox so I can email it to myself!? Why doesn't Bluefish support BASIC!? Ahhhhhhh I want it to god damnit!
* Kalc swivels office chair and faces Windows XP computer!
I need a pen
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

kalc wrote:* Kalc swivels office chair and faces Windows XP computer!
I was about to do that when I first tried Austrumi.... I hate it. I really recommend Knoppix for a live CD, and as for an installed distro, I reccomend Gentoo for old computers, Debian for all computers, and FC4 for a REALLY top-notch computer.
kalc
Coder

Post by kalc »

You've really tried it? Cool, I'll have to get Knoppix or Gentoo some time.
I need a pen
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

kalc wrote:You've really tried it?
Yup. And nice sig...
Bill

Post by Bill »

I tried linux, and it absolutley sucked! I found Windows ME to be better!
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Re: Reply

Post by Nodtveidt »

Bill wrote:I tried linux, and it absolutley sucked! I found Windows ME to be better!
Even as much as most Linux versions suck, there's not much worse than Windows ME...except maybe Windows 95.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

OK, I hate linux. I wasted a week of my time doing this. An entire week, plus nearly breaking my laptop, a network card, and making my dad hate me even more. I am suprised he doesn't beet me.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Nathan1993 wrote:I HAVE JOINED!!!

Ahem... right now I am running Feather Linux from a live cd on a family computer... I am backing up the files on my laptop to partition, but I still need a boot manager... anyone have any recommendations? It needs to be free and it does not need to be feature-full... it just needs to work. Linux really is a lot better than I thought it would be...

EDIT: Back in windows... feels... bad and expensive. I am currently re-partitioning my hard drive with Partition Magic... waiting for it to be done, then I get to mess with ndis wrapper and some other crap and then I will have... LINUX! YAY!

And your topic worked... it has made me join.
Nathan1993 wrote:OK, I hate linux. I wasted a week of my time doing this. An entire week, plus nearly breaking my laptop, a network card, and making my dad hate me even more. I am suprised he doesn't beet me.
There's a phrase for this kind of thing, although I'm not sure what it's called...but basically, what you're just gone through is what 99% of every other Linux zealot hopeful goes through..."ZOMG LINUX IS TEH L33TS0ZZ ZOMG ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111" then shortly later..."ZOMG LINUX IS TEH SUX0RZ I WANT MY WINDBLOZE BAX0R!". Welcome to Linux...and one of several hundred reasons why I don't use it. :D
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I still hate windows. It took 15 minutes to get a network card working. In linux, it did it automaticaly in the boot. I still hate Microsoft, but sadly, its the only thing that will work for me.
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Nekrophidius wrote:
Bill wrote:I tried linux, and it absolutley sucked! I found Windows ME to be better!
Even as much as most Linux versions suck, there's not much worse than Windows ME...except maybe Windows 95.
I beg to differ... :roll:
Although quite off topic check this out:
http://www.rainbowanimations.com/animat ... p?id=cosby
http://www.rainbowanimations.com/animat ... d=kerrywar
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Bill Gates wrote:I beg to differ... :roll:
Two points:

1. You can beg to differ all you want, but facts are facts.
2. No one who uses the name "Bill Gates" is to be taken seriously.

:P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Veteran

Post by Guest »

Windows/DOS is best for:
-programmers(good programming enviroments(ie. Dev C++) and its the most popular OS in the world, so if your'e going to sell your software-chances are people will actulally buy it)
-gamers(the best computer games are for windows)

Linux Distrobutions are best for:
-hackers(secure stable enviroments so that you can hack them but they can't hack you)
-small businesses(Linux is cheaper than windows(red hat excluded- $350 my ass!) and gets the job done)

Apple is best for:
-schools(tons of learning software)
-movies(good graphics and video editing software)

Windows is not good for:
-hackers(unstable enviroments and insecure)
-small businesses(fairly expensive, Linux can do what they need it for for much cheaper)

Linux distros are not good for:
-Programmers(crappy IDEs, Half assed backwards assembly, and an unpopular OS doesn't make a happy programmer)
-gamers(no interesting games for Linux)

Apple is not good for:
-A lot of things, but I can't think of any at this time

Although quite off topic check these links out:
http://www.rainbowanimations.com/animat ... p?id=cosby
http://www.rainbowanimations.com/animat ... d=kerrywar

Oh, and Nekrophedius(Or however you spell it), I chose this screen name since sometimes I'm a joker, but on this forum, I don't joke aroud very often...
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

Last edited by Kyle on Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.