Join the Linux Revolution!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Bill No login

Post by Bill No login »

Yeah, but my copy came with my computer...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Nathan1993 wrote:yes, but it is only there as a minimum. you dont have spell check(open office), support for hundreds of image formats in editing and saving (the gimp), built in support for AIM, msn, icq, Zypher, irc and many others (gaim). Yes, windows does have built-in software, but it all needs to be upgraded.
If you use only 1 install disc for Linux, you only have the bare minimum as well...that's why Linux distros tend to be 2 or more discs, so they can include all the extra applications. Windows comes on 1 disc and still manages to cram a boatload of extra shit onto that 1 disc. OpenOffice, The GiMP, and all those other apps are NOT "default with Linux", they have to be installed seperately with most Linux distros (some of the more advanced distros do install some of them automatically but you can't ever count on your particular distro doing it).

And I'm not particularly a fan of Microsoft Office, but it is without a shadow of a doubt the most advanced office suite available, hands down. It's overkill for me personally because I don't need all the extra bells and whistles, but for someone who needs all that functionality, OpenOffice just doesn't hold a candle. And don't even mention StarOffice...that's the biggest joke since Windows Millenium.

I do agree that the pack-in software that comes with Windows needs some upgrading, and they've done a bit of it over the years, albeit very slowly (took forever to get search-and-replace into Notepad, and quite awhile to get additional image formats supported in Paint, just two examples) but Microsoft makes its money off of the more advanced apps and suites...
kalc
Coder

Post by kalc »

Rattrapmax6 wrote:
kalc wrote:Okay then. Some people like Linux and some like Windows. Telling people their OS is shit isn't going to do much. If you want more people to use your OS then say its good, not that the others are crap
/\ Good point....
kalc wrote:And can that loser called Bill Gates pissoff! I don't like him!
Isn't that a double standard? Just cause you like some users better than others doesn't mean you should go calling other users crap....

Sorry, couldn't help myself.... btw, here is a pen:

*Hands kalc a pen*

your welcome.... :lol: :wink:
My point only applies to technology :D

So how is this 'Linux Revolution' going :!: :?:
I need a pen
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

kalc wrote:
Rattrapmax6 wrote:
kalc wrote:Okay then. Some people like Linux and some like Windows. Telling people their OS is shit isn't going to do much. If you want more people to use your OS then say its good, not that the others are crap
/\ Good point....
kalc wrote:And can that loser called Bill Gates pissoff! I don't like him!
Isn't that a double standard? Just cause you like some users better than others doesn't mean you should go calling other users crap....

Sorry, couldn't help myself.... btw, here is a pen:

*Hands kalc a pen*

your welcome.... :lol: :wink:
My point only applies to technology :D

So how is this 'Linux Revolution' going :!: :?:
Your point only applies to technology? So you mean that you need a digital pen?
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

To be honest, Ive never seen Linux before. Everybody I know uses Windows.
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
PQBC at school

Post by PQBC at school »

Well, it's easy to get. Just download KNOPPIX from the link in my signature. (when I'm logged in). It runs as a LIVE CD/DVD (which ever you burn), so you don't need to delete WINDOWS to get a taste of LINUX.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

PQBC at school wrote:Well, it's easy to get. Just download KNOPPIX from the link in my signature. (when I'm logged in). It runs as a LIVE CD/DVD (which ever you burn), so you don't need to delete WINDOWS to get a taste of LINUX.
i have tried a few live cds. knoppix rules, feather is ok, and austrumi sucks.
Agent_Firestalker
Coder

Post by Agent_Firestalker »

Commenting on Xp's horrible DOS emulation... just said it all.
Try running any old game, like an old apogee game.... (shudders)

As a computer technician I fix windows computers on a daily basis. Do I like it? No. When I open up my own repair business I may recommend fedora instead of windows.

Windows Vista comes out next year, will it fly? Of course not. Each Windows version is built upon the previous one, so Vista will easily fall.

I don't hate windows, i just dislike it.

I'm throwing my hat into the revolution pool. Here's to success!

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." -Keldon soldier
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... s.%20linux

That is all the information you need....
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Agent_Firestalker wrote:Windows Vista comes out next year, will it fly? Of course not. Each Windows version is built upon the previous one, so Vista will easily fall.
"Windows 95 is coming out! Will it succeed? Of course not!"

Windows 95 succeeded.

"Windows 98 is coming soon! It's going to bomb sooooooo bad!"

Windows 98 succeeded.

"Windows 2000 is NT! That means no regular computer user will ever be able to use it, and it will FAIL!"

Windows 2000 succeeded.

"Windows XP is so bloated and huge! And they ripped off the GUI from Apple! It's doomed!"

Windows XP succeeded.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Nekrophidius wrote:
Agent_Firestalker wrote:Windows Vista comes out next year, will it fly? Of course not. Each Windows version is built upon the previous one, so Vista will easily fall.
"Windows 95 is coming out! Will it succeed? Of course not!"

Windows 95 succeeded.

"Windows 98 is coming soon! It's going to bomb sooooooo bad!"

Windows 98 succeeded.

"Windows 2000 is NT! That means no regular computer user will ever be able to use it, and it will FAIL!"

Windows 2000 succeeded.

"Windows XP is so bloated and huge! And they ripped off the GUI from Apple! It's doomed!"

Windows XP succeeded.
Yeah, I think the main reason is that computer noobies say "Look! A new version of windows! It must be 1337! I must buy it!" They see that it takes up 3 gigs: "Whoa! This must be cool if it takes up 3 gigs? Now... whats a gig again?"

Plus, there are Dell, Compac, HP and ect notebooks that come with Windows on it...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Windows continues to succeed because corporations continue to purchase it...corporate purchases of Windows far exceed personal purchases.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Nekrophidius wrote:Windows continues to succeed because corporations continue to purchase it...corporate purchases of Windows far exceed personal purchases.
Yeah, I kinda said that when I talked about how dell uses it (Dell is a corperation, you know...). And windows in more noobie-friendly on a day-to-day basis.
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Windows dominating the OS market is sort of like Intel dominating the processor market. AMD and Linux are both quality products, but corporations got Windows and Intel (stoopid Dell...). In my opinion, AMD and Linux are both better. I guess you can say that I'm a minority.
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

Oh, about the only thing I'll give Dell is that they distribute Red Hat Linux now. At least it's a start.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Intel is probably the dominant processor beacuse of its assembly syntax. Windows is probably the most popular OS on the market beacause its idiot proof(a normal computer user(of course we're near expert :wink: ) can't go screwing around with things they're not supposed to). "Get the facts" go to the links I supplied above... they will reveal all you need to know about rivalries, pros and cons, and other things...
PQBC wrote:I am trying to convert you...
Don't try to convert people to linux(like some kind of freeky deeky cult), if they like microsoft or apple, let them be...I pesonally like Windows better, but do have a dual boot system with Debian linux(I don't really like it, it just sits there and looks pretty since linux is incompatible with my printer, modem, and scanner. Hell, it doesn't even have a good programming enviroment!)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Also, red hat(I wish I could insert a barf emoticon here) is pricy comared to windows...I prefer Debian...
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

Kevin wrote:Hell, it doesn't even have a good programming enviroment!)
It has FreeBASIC... :D
Jeff

Yay!

Post by Jeff »

I think windows is pathetic. I just wish people would realize that Linux is a lot better. Personally, my favorites are Fedora and knoppix, but they're all better than windows. I think there needs to be more support for Linux, I mean I want to look at software requirements and see "Fedora Core 4 or better" and so on and so forth.