Join the Linux Revolution!

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Post Reply
PQBC at school

Post by PQBC at school » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:41 am

Kevin wrote:Also, red hat is pricy comared to windows
Why buy Red Hat when you can download it for free :lol:

User avatar
{Nathan}
Veteran
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: The wetlands of central Ohio, USA
Contact:

Post by {Nathan} » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:19 pm

PQBC at school wrote:
Kevin wrote:Also, red hat is pricy comared to windows
Why buy Red Hat when you can download it for free :lol:
I think he ment that Red Hat is so cheap that it seams like piracy, but Red Hat actually is NOT free anymore. The free version of RH has been renamed Fedora Core, and RH has become RH Enterprise and RH Pro, and some others.
Image

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:15 pm

I want to linux.com, and found red hat linux - it said it was $350 - $2500! Compared to Red hat Windows XP is a modest price!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:32 pm

Nekrophedius, I know it has freeBASIC, and that's all well and dandy, but where's the linux equivilant to the Dev-C++ IDE? Jeff - Linux is a fine and good Operating system - but if that were to happen, the world would be upside down - Linux would have security holes and viruses, hackers would be running windows(5000), and Apple will just sit there and look pretty like it always does...Also I just don't like linux! It's opens applications slow because it has an ext3 filesystem(I like NTFS/FAT32). Why do you think pubishers don't make linux games, and Mac and windows fans are sitting there and laghing hahahaha in your face?

Its:
-slower filesystem
-bulky kernel
-market share
-compatibility
-programming issues in assembly

I wish there was just some kinda ANSI standard OS, or at least an OS that can convert applications from other OSs to its own...If I was a good enough programmer, I could probably make one with MASM32 + WinAsm Studio, Dev-Pascal, and freeBASIC(I will stay away from C(rappy programming lang.)!)...

User avatar
Kyle
Veteran
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Post by Kyle » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:45 pm

You seem to hate C, yet I doubt you have ever coded in it for more than 10 minutes.

User avatar
The Awakened
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 am

Post by The Awakened » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:03 pm

Kevin: Hold on a sec... you say you don't like C, but you want a Dev C++ style IDE? Why?

In all honesty I've never used Linux, but I'm getting a computer or two from a friend (Pentium 2's) and I may just have to try it out.
Kevin wrote:Apple will just sit there and look pretty like it always does...
Oh, so I guess being the music engineering industry's choice computer doesn't count for anything... :wink: I don't know much about Apple hardware, but I do know that people have had lots of problems with Intel's Hyper Threading Processors when trying to record to computer.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:06 pm


/*this is a comment*/
//this is also a comment
/*This
*is
*the multiline comment*/

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
___int variable = 1;
___char choice;
___char* pointer;
___printf("This is a variable: %d\n", variable);
___printf("Would you like to change the variable? ");
___//stopping color at this point
___scanf("%c", &choice);
___if(choice == 'Y')
___{
_______scanf("%d", variable);
___}

___if(choice == 'N')
___{
_______return 0;
___}
___
___getchar();
___return 0;
}

FYI: _ = space(can't tab or space with forums...)
I also know windows API, but I just use a template(too much to remember), and C + DirectX9(New to DX)
I don't want to use C in an operating system because it is case sensitive: In an OS that is not good...for example, in linux you can have a temp Directory, a TEMP, a Temp, a tEmp etc. but wich one holds the files you are looking for? I have no problem with C in Application programming, since case sensitivity doesn't matter. That is why I like Pascal, BASIC, and even MASM32 over C...
Question: why are C and pascal the only languages where you have to end your instruction with a semicolon?

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:15 pm

The Awakend:
Dev C++ is a very good IDE(I program in C, and am fine with it, (see above)) I don't see those IDEs in Linux...
'Apple just sits there and look pretty' - my point - CGI artists, music artists, schools use apple - the apple lovers are nearly dead... It is business platform now - 90% of people don't have Macs in there homes - they have windows - 6% of people own a mac - the remaining - linux users!

Sorry for not using BBCode on my C example - it escaped my mind...

User avatar
{Nathan}
Veteran
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: The wetlands of central Ohio, USA
Contact:

Post by {Nathan} » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:03 pm

Kevin wrote:
/*this is a comment*/
//this is also a comment
/*This
*is
*the multiline comment*/

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
___int variable = 1;
___char choice;
___char* pointer;
___printf("This is a variable: %d\n", variable);
___printf("Would you like to change the variable? ");
___//stopping color at this point
___scanf("%c", &choice);
___if(choice == 'Y')
___{
_______scanf("%d", variable);
___}

___if(choice == 'N')
___{
_______return 0;
___}
___
___getchar();
___return 0;
}

FYI: _ = space(can't tab or space with forums...)
I also know windows API, but I just use a template(too much to remember), and C + DirectX9(New to DX)
I don't want to use C in an operating system because it is case sensitive: In an OS that is not good...for example, in linux you can have a temp Directory, a TEMP, a Temp, a tEmp etc. but wich one holds the files you are looking for? I have no problem with C in Application programming, since case sensitivity doesn't matter. That is why I like Pascal, BASIC, and even MASM32 over C...
Question: why are C and pascal the only languages where you have to end your instruction with a semicolon?
With that space problem... thats what the code tag is for. The code tags are:

Code: Select all

[code]
[/code]

Put your code in between those, and you can use spaces

Code: Select all

               kinda
        like
                        this
Image

User avatar
The Awakened
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 am

Post by The Awakened » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:06 pm

Well, you can program your own case insensitivity routines if you really wanted to. I'm pretty much a stranger to the C Standard Library, but are there any routines like UCASE and LCASE in there (probably in the <strings> file)

Oh, and you can edit your posts, so you can put in BBCode if you want to.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:08 pm

I'm a guest, so I can't...

User avatar
The Awakened
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 am

Post by The Awakened » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:12 pm

Why not join the board?
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."

User avatar
Nodtveidt
Veteran
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:24 am
Location: Quebradillas, PR
Contact:

Post by Nodtveidt » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:13 pm

My C IDE in Unix is Nedit. :D It has syntax highlighting for C. My compiler is gcc. It's all good enough for me...fancy IDEs are the work of the devil. :D

EDIT: KDevelop is a decent dev setup...but I don't use it.

User avatar
{Nathan}
Veteran
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: The wetlands of central Ohio, USA
Contact:

Post by {Nathan} » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:17 pm

I remember something like this... I am 99% sure you need to take the char data type and subtract 32 from it... but that was a really old version of turbo c... so it might not work.
Image

DrV
Veteran
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:44 pm

Post by DrV » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:32 am

Kevin wrote:I don't want to use C in an operating system because it is case sensitive
* smacks forehead*

Just because identifiers in a language are case sensitive does not mean that there are no case-insensitive string $$$ functions (stricmp ring any bells?)

In order to get the lowercase version of a string, you should use the libc tolower() function:

Code: Select all

void lcase(char *str)
{
   for (; *str; str++)  *str = tolower(*str);
}
The same applies for getting an all-uppercase string, except you should use toupper() instead.

Kevin wrote:Question: why are C and pascal the only languages where you have to end your instruction with a semicolon?
C and Pascal are not the only languages that require a semicolon at the end of a statement; there are many, but to list a few, Java, C++, Perl, and PHP also require a semicolon at the end of each statement. This allows the use of statements longer than one line without including an explicit continue-on-next-line indicator like the _ of some BASIC implementations. Also, lines can be broken at any whitespace without affecting meaning, which is very useful when sending code via a medium that could potentially break lines where they were not previously broken -- for example, on a printed page or in a regular plain-text email, where line lengths are limited.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:14 pm

I'm better at pascal anyways...

marzec
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:23 am

Post by marzec » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:07 pm

Kevin wrote:Nekrophedius, I know it has freeBASIC, and that's all well and dandy, but where's the linux equivilant to the Dev-C++ IDE?
you really believe devc++ is a good ide? boy you good a problem there. on your actual question: emacs, kdevelop, eclipse, anjuta and of course vim just to name a view. again devc++ is probably one of the worst IDE's available out there ( buggy, debugger doesn't work properly, class views are slow, auto completition algo is probably a flat array search and fork slow etc. etc. )
Jeff - Linux is a fine and good Operating system - but if that were to happen, the world would be upside down - Linux would have security holes and viruses, hackers would be running windows(5000), and Apple will just sit there and look pretty like it always does...
agreed...
Also I just don't like linux! It's opens applications slow because it has an ext3 filesystem(I like NTFS/FAT32). Why do you think pubishers don't make linux games, and Mac and windows fans are sitting there and laghing hahahaha in your face?

publishers don't make games, they just sell them. the reason whylinux is not a gaming plattform yet is poor driver support for many gfx cards and of course the market share it has. if more ppl would use linux there would be more ports to linux. games need to sell big times to even have a minimal positive bilance.

ext3 and reiser are probably one of the best filesystems out there. i dunno why you believe that it is a) the reason why your applications start slow and b) the filesystems are slow. i beg for a prove of this fact ( just because applications start slow on your computer doesn't mean the filesystem is farked up, which has in fact not that much influence on the start up speed of your applications )
Its:
-slower filesystem
-bulky kernel
-market share
-compatibility
-programming issues in assembly

@1 again show me
@2 ya right, you actually ever had a look at the structure of the linux kernel? it has it's faults but it is certainly not a bad and absolutely not a bulky kernel.
@3 oh i missed that above :p
@4 compatibility to what? i know more linux apps that can cope with microsoft formats than the other way around.
@5 what issues? at&t syntax? first of all at&t syntax is not primarily focused on intel cpus. second, there's also nasm for linux afair. third you can use your precious intel notation ( which is in fact ambigous and after all not as clean as the at&t syntax ) with gas too...
I wish there was just some kinda ANSI standard OS, or at least an OS that can convert applications from other OSs to its own...
ANSI standard OS? convert applications from one OS to another? do you have an idea about what you are speaking? projects like WINE and several others alike should signal you that this is a task that is hard to complete and in the end is senseless.
If I was a good enough programmer, I could probably make one with MASM32 + WinAsm Studio, Dev-Pascal, and freeBASIC(I will stay away from C(rappy programming lang.)!)...
yeah you probably would of course... you like Devc++ which can only handle c and c++ but you stay away from C(rappy programming lang). dude who are you trying to fool?
________
YAMAHA Y125Z SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by marzec on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nodtveidt
Veteran
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:24 am
Location: Quebradillas, PR
Contact:

Post by Nodtveidt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:42 pm

I don't like DevC++ myself...I think it's a pretty shoddy IDE. I hate to say it, but Microsoft Visual C 6 has a far superior IDE, and even it suffers from a lot of shortcomings...especially if you've used the VERY well-done Visual Basic 6 IDE.

Notepad is all I need now. :D

And yes marzec...nasm exists for linux. :D

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks for pointing out the flaws that I didn't see about Dev C++, but I just mean an IDE that looks as good as Dev C++(VSC++ doesn't work for my computer since I have ME, don't have enough for XP).

By compatibility I mean hardware - my LaserJet6L and Conexant PCI modem won't work with linux(printer responds, but prints 'Gnome%%%', Modem doesn't respond at all).

sorry, i meant developers...

Probably why it doesn't open up any apps fast is the fact that I had Debian Sarge - Maybe when I finish downloading Fedora I will have better luck...

I downloaded the source of the linux kernel - didn't know where to start or make sense of things...I wonder why after startup it says decompressing kernel if it isn't so bulky...

I don't like AT&T syntax and I don't want to learn ANOTHER programming language...

Oh, I do like C - for windows application programming - I haven't bothered figured out graphics for C - that's why I called it a Crappy Programming Language...

User avatar
The Awakened
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 am

Post by The Awakened » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:34 am

You're better off just to make your own graphics code, or use a library, anyway.
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."

Post Reply