What kind of music do we all listen to?

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

The Awakened
Veteran

What kind of music do we all listen to?

Post by The Awakened »

I figured I'd make a thread where we could share our musical tastes with others, and recommend bands and songs. I find I get to know people better when I talk with them about music. So, here I go.

Primarily, my interest lies in progressive/power metal. My favorite band for sure is Dream Theater. If you like RPG's/anime, check them out, some of their music sounds like it could fit right in. Here's some songs to check out:

Afterlife
YtseJam
Pull Me Under (a hit single in 1992, heh... pretty good considering it was their second album and they're a prog metal band)
Metropolis
A Change of Seasons (23 minutes, 6 seconds... yep, they like the long songs)
Peruvian Skies (if you like Pink Floyd, you'll like this song)
The Dance of Eternity (very weird instrumental, love it)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Overture and About to Crash (overture sounds like the intro to an epic RPG, heh)
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium (my favorite song of all time, ever)

Other prog bands I listen to would include Queensryche, Amorphis, Rush (Alex Lifeson was on Trailer Park Boys!!! Does America have TPB?), and more recently, The Mars Volta.

If you play RPG's, you've gotta check out DragonForce. All their songs have epic (read: mildly cheesy at times) lyrics, loads of guitars, lots of keyboards, etc. Other RPG/fantasy bands include: Blind Guardian (did a concept album back in '02 based on The Silmarillion), Stratovarius (I get to see them in October! Yeah!!!), Rhapsody (they had Christoper Lee, the guy who plays Sauromon on LOTR, on one of their recent EP's), Nightwish (operatic female vocalist), Yngwie Malmsteen (one of the fastest guitarists ever, also started the neoclassical movement), and Jason Becker (diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease at like 20... my God...)

Steve Vai is one last guitarist I should mention before I move on to other subjects. In his early days, he played for the likes of Frank Zappa, David Lee Roth, and Whitesnake. Then he moved on and did his own thing, a solo project. I don't mind some of his older stuff, but his new album, Real Illusions: Reflections is amazing. Seriously, Square should hire this guy to do their next soundtrack. (Actually, he played guitar on the outro credits to Halo 2) I highly recommend the album.

Aside from metal and rock, I like classical and jazz fusion. Vivaldi for favorite classical composer, and Return To Forever as my fav jazz fusion band.

By the way, I play guitar and bass, and I write prog/power metal... although I've been having a bit of trouble with my wrists lately, but their getting better :)

So let's hear from everyone else! :D
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Zamaster
Veteran

Post by Zamaster »

Classical all the way! It supposed to make you smarter O_o...?
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
The Awakened
Veteran

Post by The Awakened »

I'm sure it helps, considering the complexity of the music. The weaving of different instruments together, in a way, parallels the brain (in my opinion), and possibly stimulates it to work more coherently.

All of the above is just speculation and idea. :D
"Sorry for beating you up with a baseball bat Julian, but I DID think that you were a samsquanch."
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Well:
  • Car Motors
  • Techno
  • Some Rock
  • Classical
  • ...ect...
:roll: :lol: :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

My favorite band is The Mountain Goats. It's an indy "band" (I say "band" because it's really just one guy) with a twangy acoustic/folk sound and incredible lyrics.

If you're interested in hearing it, you can download a sample song here: Palmcorder Yajna

My other favorite music includes: The Kinks, Sufjan Stevens, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Belle and Sebastian, The Streets, Neutral Milk Hotel, R.E.M., Andrew Bird, Johnny Cash, Weird Al, Bright Eyes, Rockapella, Sugar Hill Gang, They Might Be Giants, The Who, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, Beatles, J. Geils Band, Styx, Rolling Stones, CCR, Billy Joel, Tenacious D, Mamas and the Papas, William Shatner
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Rock and practically everythin harder than rock.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

My favorite band is Simple Plan, but I also like ACDC and I love Green Day. The Killers rule too. As for songs, I like just about any song thats depressing... good to program too.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

lurah wrote:Rock and practically everythin harder than rock.
:lol: Whats harder than rocks? They seem pretty hard to me.... *ouch*
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
lurah-
Veteran

Post by lurah- »

Rattrapmax6 wrote: :lol: Whats harder than rocks? They seem pretty hard to me.... *ouch*
:lol: :lol: You needed to test it or finded the truth out by some other ways? :wink:

http://www.last.fm/user/lurah/

And in words of AC/DC "...harder than a rock..." *rockrockrockmoshmosh* 8) :lol: :oops:
Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

GREEN DAY
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

PQBC wrote:GREEN DAY
Hell yeah!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I like a lot of types of music but my preference is Scandinavian black metal. I have several playlists for my music player depending on my mood for the day...right now I have Fuel playing...stuff like Evervesance, Creed, and Trust Company are in the same playlist. Of course, I also have playlists containing stuff by Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Dissection, Anient, etc... ;)

I have a collection of classical CDs but I don't play them often because Rhiannon doesn't like classical very much...
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

My taste in music is quite different from what you guys have mentioned. I listen to a radio station here in Mexico that plays classic Spanish and Latin American oldies like:
BOLEROS, such as:
Basame Mucho
Noche de Ronda
Quiereme Mucho
Quisiera Ser
Y (Y que hiciste del amor que me brindaste....)
Sabor A Mi
Historia de Un Amor
Cuando Tu Me Quieras
No Te Puedo Querer
etc.
sung by groups like Trio Los Panchos, Raul Shaw Moreno, Lucho Gatica, Juan Legido, among others.

I also like TANGOS, especially sung by Carlos Gardel, such as:
Mi Buenos Aires Querido
Mano A Mano
La Comparsita, etc.

All of these songs were written over 40 years ago, but have remained current in the musical tastes of most Spanish-speaking people throughout the world. An example are the tangos sung by Carlos Gardel, who died in 1935, yet his songs are as popular today as when he sung them.

The audience for Spanish and Latin American music is tremendous. In the 1970's, a crooner from Spain called Julio Iglesias, sold more records worldwide than The Beatles.

Being of Spanish descent, I was exposed to all the above types of music since childhood, and I still listen and enjoy it today. I like to sing them too.
If you are ahead of me, lead.
If you are behind me, follow.
If you are not doing anything,
Get out of the way.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

A lot of that music is still popular here in Puerto Rico. :)
moneo
Veteran

Post by moneo »

Nekrophidius wrote:A lot of that music is still popular here in Puerto Rico. :)
Yes, like:
Borinquen, la tierra del eden............
En mi viejo San Juan................

And many merengues. Actually the merengue originated in Dominican Republic, but Puerto Rico made them famous, like:
A mi me dicen el negrito del Batey.............
Yo tuve amores con Loreta, tuve amores.....

Yeah, and the Puerto Ricans are the only ones who know how to dance the merengue correctly, like:
A mi me gusta el merengue bien bailao, bailao de medio lao.....

SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

All sorts of... even classic... ah Mendeslsohn, Mozart,Bach, Wagner, and there's DJ Tiesto... (a classical)

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
Nathan1993 at school

Post by Nathan1993 at school »

Nekrophidius wrote:A lot of that music is still popular here in Puerto Rico. :)
ever seen a chubacobra?
m2j

Post by m2j »

Mostly Punk, and most of its inner varients.

I listen to a bit of metal, aka slipknot or anything else I come across, but I don't go looking for metal albums...

I'm getting progressivly more in to Black Metal, the likes of Darkthrone/Burzum/Mayhem. I've got about 3 DarkThrone albums and I a BM compilation or too.

As far as powermetal goes I fork HATE IT. Especially DragonForce, and Anyone calling themselves Battle Metal. The idea that PLASTIC swords at gigs make them favourites among fans instead of gigs where REAL swords turn up sickens me. I hold very few things sacred, but my love of epic fantasy is the one I hold most dear, and this spinal tappification of it sends me into far right extreemism.

But thats just a superficial thing, I don't actually listen to the music so I can't judge it, I just hate 80% of it's fans.

I'm listening to a bit of electronica aswell...

matt
Kyle
Veteran

Post by Kyle »

R.E.M.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I don't thing a REMARK is counted as music :lol: (I know you meant R.E.M. it just sounded funny, when I thought about it)

Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.