QB Express #14 Submissions

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

urger
Coder

Post by urger »

I'm going to start a series on Copyright and various liscening issues.
While it isn't related to the business of coding in QB/FB it is something that people that write code do need to think about, especially now that FB allows us to use so many more libraries then were possible with QB.

Pete, you can expect part one when I e-mail you the articles I've finished proofreading.
Edit / lurker since the site reopened, member since late last year, and my first post :P
Share and Enjoy.
urger
Coder

Post by urger »

maybe folks are burning out writing so many per issue maybe
4 articles or so per mag is good if they are somewhat medium
to large sized articles...? just a though as i was wondering about
that the other day...
Nah, it's just that it's back to school time for so many QB/FB programmers coupled to the fact that it's too nice out to be stay inside and just code.[/quote]
Share and Enjoy.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

school or no school. I work nowadays. When I can code or write I will. But when I was still in school, I used to sleep only between 5 or 1 hours per night to code/play on my pc. No problem at school, unless I slept more... then I was sleepy, especially during the boring classes...

grtz

Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Thats why I have to get a full 8 hours of sleep... no time for coding with karate, confirmation, and boy scouts.
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

lot's a hobbies... I actually use coding as a stress-relief... works good...

grtz
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
OldDoslover

Re submissions

Post by OldDoslover »

Hi all,
I read all the time that new programers should switch to FreeBasic. While i dont want to join in the argument over what or why one is better , id like to point out something. In QBasic there is numerous tutorials and documentation available for newbs to digest and expand there knowledge. So far after MANY google searches i find very limited amounts of FreeBasic documentation and tutorials available. There is only small amounts of info available for the newb to assemble. Id suggest an article threading together all available sources of FreeBasic documentation available at the moment. Also perhaps this could be cross referenced with existing QBasic documentation so the newb could see the differences between the 2 languages.
Why would this be benefieticial? I surpose that free availablety of subject content make the newb's transition easier to manage and direct. To me this is a worthy project. With limited info one has to struggle through asking questions on Forums and this limits a newbs growth as he can quickly find the QBasic answer to his question faster.
What do others think ?

OldDosLover
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

I'll learned qbasic before we even had internet at home. It wasn't until we got internet at home, I found out about qbasic communities, www.qbasic.com was one of the first I had ever visited.

The moral of this story: you must try yourselfs first, then do the search...

grtz
Seb
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

SebMcClouth wrote:I'll learned qbasic before we even had internet at home. It wasn't until we got internet at home, I found out about qbasic communities, www.qbasic.com was one of the first I had ever visited.

The moral of this story: you must try yourselfs first, then do the search...

grtz
Seb
yep, me too. I programmed in the "dark" my whole qb career. Maybe once in a while I'd come home with a floppy full of files from the library. That was fun, even though half the stuff didn't work or got corrupted or whatever. That was also before I knew what a forum was, I didn't know the difference between a forum and a chatroom... :lol:
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Re: Re submissions

Post by Nodtveidt »

OldDoslover wrote:Hi all,
I read all the time that new programers should switch to FreeBasic. While i dont want to join in the argument over what or why one is better , id like to point out something. In QBasic there is numerous tutorials and documentation available for newbs to digest and expand there knowledge. So far after MANY google searches i find very limited amounts of FreeBasic documentation and tutorials available. There is only small amounts of info available for the newb to assemble. Id suggest an article threading together all available sources of FreeBasic documentation available at the moment. Also perhaps this could be cross referenced with existing QBasic documentation so the newb could see the differences between the 2 languages.
Why would this be benefieticial? I surpose that free availablety of subject content make the newb's transition easier to manage and direct. To me this is a worthy project. With limited info one has to struggle through asking questions on Forums and this limits a newbs growth as he can quickly find the QBasic answer to his question faster.
What do others think ?

OldDosLover
There are two major reasons why there's a shortage of documentation and tutorial stuffs for FB:

1. FB is QB in a 32-bit clown suit...in other words, straight-up (no libraries) QB code should work fine in FB with minor (or sometimes no) modifications. So a whole new set of tutorials might not be needed for the core language if most of the existing ones will still work.
2. FB is still very new and no one's taken it to its limits yet with a full-scale production. I think FieldView is the first attempt at a major FB-based game production.
Deleter
Veteran

Post by Deleter »

Ok, I wrote a small rant, if you want to publish it pete, its here

http://www.geocities.com/barbarian_role ... thyIII.htm