I think I'm ready...

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

Favorite MAJOR OS?

Windows 2000, ME, NT x.0, 9x
33%
Windows XP
33%
Linux Distros
27%
MAC OS X
7%

Total votes: 15

Patz QuickBASIC Creations
Veteran

I think I'm ready...

Post by Patz QuickBASIC Creations »

I am about to make 2 HUGE changes in my programming that I need answers to.

First: Anyone have experience with Linspire 5.0? (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=L22-1000) Don't judge it from it's past, because people have said its changed ALOT. How is it compared to WINDOWS?

Question 1.5: Is FreeBasic compatible with Linspire 5.0?

Second: What is the best and worst advantages with having FreeBasic? What syntax changes are there from PDS>FB?
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

I've tried Linspire 5.0 on my computer and it rules :P It's a great OS with a lot of fancy stuff and good accessories. It's also quick and stable. If Linspire supported Half-Life 2 I wouldn't be running Windows right now. So, well, to keep it short: It's a great OS with a lot of functionality and possibilites.

Oh, and the default wallpaper looks nice 8)
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
Veteran

Walrus: Try getting Win4Lin from CNR (if you want) and then you can play HL2 :wink: (as long as you have Win 9x-ME on CD)

(I know all this crap b\c I've been reading up on it.)
Last edited by Patz QuickBASIC Creations on Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Walrus
Veteran

Post by The Walrus »

Really?? :shock: I'll have to try that out, thanks :P
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain walruses?
Veteran

I'm going to bump the heck out of this thread untile I get some answers to my other problems! Jake, thanks
Nobody seems to like MAC either... :wink: Maybe the FreeBasic team should work on a version for MAC...
Last edited by Patz QuickBASIC Creations on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

fork Macintosh.
ShadowWolf
Veteran

Post by ShadowWolf »

PQBC freebasic linux version runs on most linux distro can see why it woudn't work on Linspire 5.0
matt2jones
Veteran

Post by matt2jones »

I like macs. I grew up on a System 7 mac SE, with a hard disk (unheard of at the time of buying them, because it ment you only had one floppy disk).

I don't own one, and I never will again, but (as was said in the gui history tutorial), they were fork WAAAAY ahead of anything else at the time. The only reason they didn't dominate is because good products don't sell, good sellers do, and Apple are not good businessmen.

matt sheds a tear for the fallen...
Do not mistake Apathy for feeling Content.

http://www.disjointed.cjb.net - Short Storys
http://matt2jones.deviantart.com - Random Art
http://www.freewebs.com/matt2jones - WebComic
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

Amen to that Matt.

Macintosh, Amiga even the Atari ST, TT and Falcon when you think about it. were all a good 12 years atleas ahead of their time back then and still more affordable than PC's (well except for Macs) ;-). And I'm not just talking cause they had GUIs and the PC didn't. I'm talking internal guts too.

But today, seems everybody (Apple, Linux, Windows) are all sorta reaching their peeks, everything looks and feels the same pretty much. And now that Macs are gonna be Intel Based machines well, you get the picture. That's why I said there really hasn't been a big breakthrough in my article on GUI history, since 1996. Addons, new things, some that just had to happen. but really no Big computer revolution so to speak since 1996. I think it's time for a revolution, personally speaking :-).

Some "REAL" "never seen before" stuff. The recyble bin has had many faces (new bitmaps) but it's still a damn recycle bin that does the same thing...problem is, it's that way for all commercialGUIs out there. New Icons, new effects (as in eye candy), some better hardware support, but really, nothing new, big, revolutionary at all. I'm not impressed with any commercial GUI makers these days.
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

I don't know about the rest of you but I expect the GUI to remain consistent over the years and not suddenly spring some new surprise feature that breaks half of my usage of the computer. Therefore, I could give a shit if some new GUI design comes out every other month...I like things the way they are. :D
Veteran

What syntax changes are there from PDS to FB?
Veteran

It's a bump... HAUS....
It's mighty annoying, having no one respond to me...*continues humming tune*