A recent discovery

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

hezoe
Coder

A recent discovery

Post by hezoe »

After compiling a ASCII RPG in RapidQ and sending to my friend I decided that I needed a change. How about FreeBasic, I said to thy self. So I look it up on google and find the homepage. Looks cool I say, but at what price? I goto the download page and scan to the download. It is five meg I say! No way jose! I think to myself for a moment before looking for alternatives.
... ... ... ........................................ ...........................................

So now I have tested them all... WXBasic, MBasic, JustBasic, SmallBasic, ExtremeBasic, VisualBasic (if I dare mention that name)!
They are all so good, but not for me. I want screen 14! I go back to FreeBasic one afternoon, download the bugger and the docco to. I read it a lot and announce a change. FreeBasic is awesome is say twenty times. Better than QB that is, yes; time three! I am now making a game but it is not purely by me. You will enjoy it and determined I am.
Goodbye with Hezoe I say to you all!
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

May the force with you...
Oh oops.. erm...
Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Sweet man! Now if we can just get the rest if the world to wise-up...
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Congratulations on finally seeing the light! FreeBasic is the wave of the future.

But...I don't understand people that won't download files because they are "too big". Even if they have a dial-up connection. If you let it sit for long enough, you'll get the file. And 5MB isn't really much at all in the grand scheme of things. You could have downloaded that on a 56K modem in less than an hour while surfing other websites at the same time.

Back in 1999-2000, I downloaded several GB of mp3s on my 33.6Kbps phone modem, as well as many "huge" QB programs, like The Wrath of Sona (9MB). Last summer on my cable modem, I downloaded a 37GB torrent. It took me three weeks straight, but I got it eventually. Patience! "Tis a virtue!
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Yeah, but he may have a shity family computer that others have tp use...
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Pete wrote:But...I don't understand people that won't download files because they are "too big". Even if they have a dial-up connection. If you let it sit for long enough, you'll get the file. And 5MB isn't really much at all in the grand scheme of things. You could have downloaded that on a 56K modem in less than an hour while surfing other websites at the same time.
Yeah... If you use FF, you can close the download dialog and let it run in the backround.... It notifies you when its done.... 8) ... Tho just saying,.. doen't matter what you use,.. I dislike crabby FF users all stuck up on not using other browsers... :P :wink:
-Kevin (aka:Rattra)
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

I am a firefox user, but if I find a browser better than firefox, i would use it, but so far, I see everything else as a pile of pure shit!
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

You can download stuff in the background in ANY browser...
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

I mean that as closing off the download box... In EI it stops downloading when you do that, thus in AOL also.... And if you can, do tell me how,.
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
DrV
Veteran

Post by DrV »

You could just minimize it... :)
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Did you know that somebody named Thomas Pain wrote a magazine?

It was called something you need: "common sense"
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

DrV wrote:You could just minimize it... :)
Theres one thing I don't like... that's 100 things in the tool bar running... It gets hard to switch apps when they are [] <- that wide and have no names on them to tell 'em appart cause they so small... :lol:

:P
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
MystikShadows
Veteran

Post by MystikShadows »

LOL agreed Rattrap...
When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!

MystikShadows

Need hosting? http://www.jc-hosting.net

Interested in Text & ASCII development? Look no further!
http://www.ascii-world.com
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

That is why you use tabs!
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

Nathan1993 wrote:That is why you use tabs!
I'm not talking about a bunch of browsers!

On average my tool bar looks like this:

[America Online][FireFox][FB Ide][Folder I'm working in][Folder I'm working in]

And when I'm coding my site, unless I use FB Ide (Which I been doing latly) it triples:

[America Online][FireFox][FB Ide][Folder I'm working in][Folder I'm working in][NotePad(Main site)][NotePad(Downloads)][NotePad(Tutorials)]...ect...

:lol: last thing I want is more..... :P
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
Z!re
Veteran

Post by Z!re »

Get rid of AOL
Get Notepad++

Problems solved, stop whining..

Or, you could just move to a higher resolution ;) 640x480 is getting kind of outdated..
I have left this dump.
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Right now, I have the following open:

[6x Folder Windows][FireFox][3x Notepad][Adobe Photoshop][iTunes][Adobe Acrobat][MacroMedia Flash][Azureus][5x AIM Conversations][Adobe Illustrator][Toon Boom Studio]

Plus a few programs minimized in the tray.

That's about normal for me. I generally work on several projects at once. At the moment, I'm switching betwen animating a scene for my cartoon, registering for classes for next semester, and making QB Express #13. Plus I'm downloading the latest episode of Stella on bit torrent, talking to people on AIM, surfing the web and listening to music.

But having this much open at once doesn't bother me. It's a little cluttered, but for someone with as short an attention span as I have, I've got to be working on a lot of things at once. Luckily my computer runs without a hitch with all that stuff going at once. 1500MB of RAM is a godsend.
Rattrapmax6
Veteran

Post by Rattrapmax6 »

@ Z1re: I'm not whining... And no, I use 320x200..... :P

@ Pete: :shock: Multitasking? You redefine it..... but, heck of a way to get things done for sure...
(x.t.r.GRAPHICS)
steve

Post by steve »

At normally for me:

[firefox] [firefox] [firefox] [firefox] [kate] [Konqueror - home] [konqueror - web] [gaim] [printer jobs] [network monitor] [gnome cd player]

but mostly almost all firefox. :D :D :D :D :D

as for 1500mb of ram: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SebMcClouth
Veteran

Post by SebMcClouth »

You could always size up your taskbar. Mine has two lines currently. Justs works easier.

grtz
Seb
I know why you're here. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer...<br>
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Qbinux is. You have to see it for yourself.