The floppies will attack

Discuss whatever you want here--both QB and non-QB related. Anything from the DEF INT command to the meaning of life!

Moderators: Pete, Mods

{Nathan}
Veteran

The floppies will attack

Post by {Nathan} »

since my laptop broke I have gone back to my old micron millennia transport (133mhz, if that means something to you) but no network, no windows... so I use floppies with the handy filesplitter I uploaded (hey, can't we have some cool useful dos utilities here too?)... then I looked at thisone disk...

"High density
DSm HD
2.0 MB"

Huh? 2 megs? Windows (and dos) says different. ??? is with that?
Pete
Site Admin

Post by Pete »

Unformatted floppy disks are 2.0 MB. Once you've formatted them, there is only 1.44MB of usable space.

Maybe you're using an unformatted floppy?
RayBritton
Veteran

Post by RayBritton »

you can get 2mb floppies i had one but to use them you need a bios that can support them, in the bios menu you can set the size of floppy disks supported

you can also get programs to format floppies to 2mb
{Nathan}
Veteran

Post by {Nathan} »

Ahh... I see... I will have to find more of these. And while we are on the subject of floppies... I have a slight... issue...

Old laptop, can't run windows, no network. But it does have a cd-rom drive. File transfer problems solved, right? Wronge. IT DOESN'T SUPPORT CDRWS!

Can anyone help me? I tryed splitting the files and putting them on floppies and putting them together after that, but the zip file always gets damaged in the process so FB gets messed up. This is FB for dos, btw.

My dad told me when he had this laptop he had to do some special things for it to work, but he forgets what. I am now experimenting with nero to attempt to find out what this is, but no luck... yet...
mennonite

couple things

Post by mennonite »

write your own file splitter in qb. i can do it in a few minutes, so can most people on this forum.

use another brand of zip, or use gzip. see what works.

also:

try creating an ISO file, and burning DAO (disk at once) on a regular CDR... not a cdrw. or DAO on a cdrw if it's all you got.

hope one of these helps. old laptops are cool.
Nodtveidt
Veteran

Post by Nodtveidt »

When you guys say 2mb disk, you may be thinking about 2.88MB disks...or just unformatted normal floppies. :D